Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow

Hi,

I am the newest in the hosting world have just 48 clients from my area by door to door marketing. Now i am trying to do something on-line. I dont want to get THAWTE or versign certificates. I have SSL on my dedicated, so how can i use SSL without buying anything from versign? I have heard about personal certificates... Please guide me from a lil basic ...

Thanks,
    Hawk!

A personal certificate isn't the same thing at all, and would be of no use. The cheapest cert available right now that I know of is from Equifax, at $89. If you have 48 clients, that should be manageable.

Just one of the many costs of doing business, and one of the many obstacles that keep webhosting from being a get-rich-quick operation.

Do you think sign-ups reduces without a cert ? if yes.. then how much ....? Also ... is equifax cert recognised or accepted by popular browsers or my question is just explaining how new I am ... heheh...

Absolutely. You will consistently see that as one of the reasons why people won't sign up with a host on this board. You need to have SSL to attract many clients.

Equifax should work with as many browsers as Thawte. So you won't run into problems. We use Equifax certs, and have yet to have a problem.

How about getting SSL and paying nothing, Globalsign says their certificates are free. Will IE and Netscape support it? Is anyone using their certificate and find any problems?

http://www.globalsign.net/digital_ce...freeserver.cfm

Check their knowledgebase, there are some versions of IE and Netscape that are not going to support it:

http://crm.globalsign.net/

I'm not sure what the Euro is trading at agains the dollar, but the certificate is only free for a year, then you have to renew at the regular price of 175 Euros.

I've heard that global sign is not integrated with many browsers resulting in error messages

Taking payments through ibill or instabill creates a bad impression resulting in less sign-ups....

How many of you people agree to this statement?

Originally posted by HostHawk
    Do you think sign-ups reduces without a cert ? if yes.. then how much ....? Also ... is equifax cert recognised or accepted by popular browsers or my question is just explaining how new I am ... heheh...
    I was reading through the Equifax site night before last for a customer. The appear to have something going with Thawte so I would presume use much the same encrypting.

Getting a secure cert isn't for getting more signups by the way... it's to protect your customer's valuable information from being intercepted. If you appear to be a professional company who clearly values the trust people are putting in you then the signups will happen of their own accord.

I'm sure it's just the way you worded the statement so I apologise if it wasn't your intent, but you really should move your focus to that of your customers, not yourself...

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Well .. if thats your way of advertising .. then I like it ...
    By the way, I told you that I am new to online ordering and need to know each and everything which effect this business. I care for myself my business and my customers because if i get nothing to invest .. I can't facilitate the customers.

I think most people visiting dedicated section won't get emotional by such nice statements

The SSL demo for Equifax is at https://www.equifaxsecure.com/ebusinessid/ssl_demo.html ... If you look at the "Equifax Secure Business CA" cert details, it expires in less than two months.

I set my system time to June 10th instead of April 10th and visited the site again...the warning about an expired cert popped up. Doh! Is this the CA that Equifax is using to issue SSL server certificates??

I'll probably be getting a cert from Equifax in the near future. But I am a little concerned that their CA cert expired soon. I guess I'll have to contact them to find out how they're planning to deal with it...

Well .. if thats your way of advertising

If I want to advertise I'll do it in the Advertising section. If you want to take advice as a shameless plug on my part then so be it. Let someone else help you out...

Greg Moore

Rehan,

You mean the lock in the tool bar? I would imagine when the cert is about to expire they'll just renew it. It's not big deal really. As long as it's valid when you're there all is well.

Greg Moore

Dont be abgry dear ... i apologise if you r hurt ..

but please use goog language on this board ...

Two things have to happen:
    1) Equifax has to renew their CA certificate (through Thawte)
    2) All of the web site owners that have SSL certs from Equifax need to renew their certificates with the new CA Equifax CA cert

But I've changed my mind about getting an Equifax cert. OpenSRS (Tucows) is also offering certs now, and the reseller price is only $99. I've already signed up as a domain reseller, so I'll also register as a cert reseller and get one through them.

Rehan,

You'll have to let us all know how it goes with Tucows. I'm not sure if anyone here has one yet, but there was a bit of discussion regarding people looking forward to the option of using them. (I think it was this forum at any rate) If they do certs the same way they do domains they'll be a winner

Greg Moore

Rehan,

I can't find a link to this service at TUCOWS. Could you please give the URL of their service...

Tucows doesn't sell the server certs directly to consumers. They use their network of resellers.

You can find info on their cert offerings at https://certs.tucows.com/ ... I haven't really looked for a list of resellers, but one I came across is http://sitecertificates.com/ -- $112.50 per year.

Oh, and they do use the two cows in the logo for their certs!

Originally posted by Rehan
    I set my system time to June 10th instead of April 10th and visited the site again...the warning about an expired cert popped up. Doh! Is this the CA that Equifax is using to issue SSL server certificates??
    I got a reply from Equifax... They said that since the beginning of this year, they've been using a different CA (Equifax Secure E-Business CA-2) to issue certificates to customers. That one's valid for another couple of years. So there are no issues with expiring certificates. Good!

BTW, here's the link to get Equifax certs for $68: https://www.equifaxsecure.com/s3/process.html

Rehan said
    BTW, here's the link to get Equifax certs for $68: https://www.equifaxsecure.com/s3/process.html
    ---------

is the $68 one the same as the $99 one?

from https://www.equifaxsecure.com/digita...bservcert.html
    "Equifax Secure's eBusinessID Web Server Certificates are the most advanced, secure, and affordable server certificates on the market. At only $99..."

Yes, I think they're the same. But you can phone or e-mail Equifax and find out for sure. They're pretty quick in returning messages.

Originally posted by Rehan
    Yes, I think they're the same. But you can phone or e-mail Equifax and find out for sure. They're pretty quick in returning messages.
    I know at one time Equifax was running that $68 price as a special, and it had ended right before the time I was considering them five months or so ago. So it may be that they've revived it.

about those free certificates

I just wanted to say about the GlobalSign certificates. The company I am with has been using a GlobalSign certificate for the past 8 months and we have never experienced a problem. So far as I know the Free certs are just the same as the normal ones

* It's too late.

http://www.globalsign.net/digital_ce...freeserver.cfm
    FREE ServerSign Certificates

Thankyou for choosing a GlobalSign Free ServerSign certificate.

Unfortunately, this offer is no longer running. However you can still benefit from a GlobalSign ServerSign certificate and offer your customers a Secured Server guarantee and therefore gain their confidence.

Since this thread was brought back alive...

If anyone else is using Thawte, you should sign up to be a hosting partner reseller (or whatever it's called). You save $25 per cert (making them $100/each).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast