Hosting A Record only - Cannot E-mail client.

I'm having a weird issue - I'm hosting a client's website only.
    They have their A record pointed to my server and I have my client's website on a dedicated I.P. address.

I'm using WHM/Cpanel - my client's domain and nameservers are being hosted somewhere else and their A record points to my server's dedicated I.P.

The minute we launched their website and they pointed their A records - I can no longer send an e-mail to this client.

Is my server trying to send the e-mail to this client thinking we're hosting the mx records??

Thanks in advance!
    Adnorml - a digital agency
    Houston Advertising Agency | Marketing | The Woodlands Website Design

Quote Originally Posted by Invectra View Post
    I'm having a weird issue - I'm hosting a client's website only.
    They have their A record pointed to my server and I have my client's website on a dedicated I.P. address.

I'm using WHM/Cpanel - my client's domain and nameservers are being hosted somewhere else and their A record points to my server's dedicated I.P.

The minute we launched their website and they pointed their A records - I can no longer send an e-mail to this client.

Is my server trying to send the e-mail to this client thinking we're hosting the mx records??

Thanks in advance!
    If the name servers hosting the zone of your site is also cPanel based, its MX needs to be adjusted as default MX record points to domain.com and if domain.com is pointing to your server's address, mail will also start coming to your server. You need to remove the site's entry from /etc/localdomains file and enter it in /etc/remotedomains file. Secondly, you need to ask your client to update MX record at the Name servers to mail.domain.com and 'mail' can be created as an 'A' record pointing to the server's IP where mail and site are currently hosted.

Quote Originally Posted by Invectra View Post
    Very likely. Just check what the correct MX record is (presumably it already exists, or mail wouldn't have worked before), and set MX record in the client's panel. cPanel will handle /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains automatically.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

There should be an MX record option in the email section of their cpanel that you can change. I have this same scenario with a client of mine.
    Anthony
    http://www.hostedplanet.com
    Hosting for Everyone
    Shared Hosting and Virtual Private Servers with friendly support

It seems their MX records have 3 different places -

2 of them are Eart***** MX records with the top level MX shown as CBeyond

Ok, so in CPanel - I set the MX records to all three of the mx records they are using.

Let's hope this works, thanks again to everyone!! WHT never lets me down!

This is actually quite simple; say your domain is domaina and the client is domainb.

If both domains are on the same cpanel server and you try and send an email from domaina to domainb regardless of mail for domainb existing on another server cpanel will attempt a local mail delivery.

You need to adjust this record in the /etc/hosts file so that it will attempt delivery to the proper MX record.
    Larry Dougherty
    Hosting.com Server Engineer