Basic, solid, no-frills host for small sites?

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm looking at setting up a few (10?) very small sites that will only exist for the purpose of directing traffic to my main site. Each site should probably be on a different IP. As such, my requirements are very simple--less than 1 gig storage (probably more like 25MB is all I'd need), 1 gig transfer at most, and FTP. That's it. I don't need email, databases, etc, though it's fine if they're included. I'd like to host from a somewhat established, reputable company, not some guy in his basement who may or may not be around in a year. I looked around in Shared Hosting Offers and the choices are overwhelming, but it seems like I ought to be able to get what I need for $1 or $2 per month, per site.

Recommendations?

As far as a cPanel provider goes you would need a reseller plan to be able to assign different IPs to different sites under the same account which you can find starting at around $20 with a billing system and around $10 without and then you will likely pay $1 to $2.50/per IP per month as well.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

i would look for a reseller with aboyt 5 gb storage, 10 gb bandwidth

You should also consider that some hosts do not allow websites that are there for the sole purpose of directing traffic to another site, so either read the TOS or contact the host to ensure they let you do this.

Pretty much any host can do what you need, just check thier TOS or ask thier sales if it's okay. Also, I wouldn't just put all your eggs in one basket. Spread them out with different host.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

Quote Originally Posted by Bihira View Post
    Pretty much any host can do what you need, just check thier TOS or ask thier sales if it's okay. Also, I wouldn't just put all your eggs in one basket. Spread them out with different host.
    cool idea..thats my suggestion too

I would also check with the host to see if you can get a discount for hosting multiple sites. There shouldn't be a problem with such small sites.
    Atech St. Louis - Web Hosting - Website builder - 24/7 Support
    Dads In Distress - Dads helping Dads in Distress

Quote Originally Posted by Bihira View Post
    Yeah that's what I was leaning towards myself, anybody have a specific recommendation for a host?

And those recommending a reseller account, can a reseller account give me the flexibility of assigning a different IP to each site? Specifically, I think each site should have a different C-Class block.

(sorry for the dummy questions, I'm just getting my feet wet in this)

Thanks everybody for your helpful replies.

I'm finding plenty of hosts with all the bells and whistles for $4-$6 per month per domain, but not very much in the $1 - $2 range.

Quote Originally Posted by megapixle View Post
    Specifically, I think each site should have a different C-Class block.
    Any particular reason for this?

I'm finding plenty of hosts with all the bells and whistles for $4-$6 per month per domain, but not very much in the $1 - $2 range.
    Your requirements are too low for the average listed hosting package, so you may have to contact a host you're interested in and see if they will do a custom package for you with lower resources for a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    Any particular reason for this?
    Hi Orien, from what I understand, in terms of SEO, if your site has too many incoming links from the same IP, the incoming links won't count and you may even be penalized as far as rankings go.

By the way, my main site is actually with Site5 and I've been there pretty happily for a few years. I have 2 multisite accounts there. I didn't see anything, but might Site5 offer something that fits what I'm looking for?

http://www.seohosting.com/

I think you're looking for something like this?

That's ran by Host Gator.
    Nothing here right now.

That looks like it will work, but DCs generally have to justify the use of so many IP4s though. I certainly would consider it abusive, especially to setup a business model around it.

Hi Orien, from what I understand, in terms of SEO, if your site has too many incoming links from the same IP, the incoming links won't count and you may even be penalized as far as rankings go.

By the way, my main site is actually with Site5 and I've been there pretty happily for a few years. I have 2 multisite accounts there. I didn't see anything, but might Site5 offer something that fits what I'm looking for?
    Just a quick note too on the SEO benefits, there are benefits but usually this is something that is on the gray side a bit more and this is a really really small part of a big SEO picture. You would gain a lot more from just spending that same time doing natural link building.

Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bwb View Post
    Just a quick note too on the SEO benefits, there are benefits but usually this is something that is on the gray side a bit more and this is a really really small part of a big SEO picture. You would gain a lot more from just spending that same time doing natural link building.

Thanks, Ben
    Thanks for your reply Ben. I'm still a bit on the fence about it myself. Thing is, many of my competitors have successfully used this technique to land on page 1 of the SERP and hard as I try, I can't seem to achieve this result "naturally".

Thanks for your reply Ben. I'm still a bit on the fence about it myself. Thing is, many of my competitors have successfully used this technique to land on page 1 of the SERP and hard as I try, I can't seem to achieve this result "naturally".
    Want to PM me with what you are going after?

Usually this is only something that helps if its a really competitive niche that is hard to build links in (which is rare). Think about this as there being like 500 factors and this is but 1. Let me know,
    Thanks, Ben