SQL Express Install on 64bit VPS

Hi!
    The install on a 32 bit vps was not problematic at all.

I do, however, recommend using the Control Panel>remove/add programs>install new programs applet be used to install new things. With Win 2003 server..it can be the difference of a istall that works..or a install that does not work..due to file permission problems when the applet is not used.

This is primarily for 64bit VPS installs..as there were serious problems.

The fix involves a few edits to the system registry...and if you've never done this before..you need to take it slow and

easy.

It is possible to mess it up...and completely fudge the server. Yes..it is true. Trust me..there is a reason there is no

link to regedit.exe for a very good reason indded.

It was bad enough in Windows 95 and Windows 98..when the registry only contained Binary entries and hex. With the

introudction of NT..the powers that be decided executables belonged in there too.

The basic rule of thumb: If you don't understand what the key is..don't touch.

Make a vps backup if you can..just in case. However..if you take it slow..there is no way you are going to crash anything.

Here's what you do:

1. Install SQL express and the management component
    2. When you start the management component..you will likely get a error:

Cannot find or repair..blahblah../mscorlib.tlb

3. Fijnd the absolute path to the 64bit version of mscorlib.tbl

Mine was:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework64\v2.0.50727\mscorlib.tbl

Yours may be different..just check by clicking on the good ole "my Computer">Whatever dirve>whereever

Now..close it out and go to "run" and type regedit

Regedit in all it's..umm.."glory" should start...and we are going to do a search for:

mscorlib.tlb

The only keys I had to mess with had simple mistakes..except for the last one..which I believe is the cause for this error.

There are a few keys that read:

C?\blah\blah

Just change them to

C:\blah\blah

You do this by right-clicking on the key and select modify

As I said..I really don't think this is the problem..but..your decision. I did.

You can step through to the next key using the same search by hitting F3 key.

The real problem is a key that has variables. It involves a key called tblrepair or something.

Here's what I did:

I simply gave it a absolute path.

The key was something like:

%Windows directory%/blahblah/blah/%version%/

I simply replavced it with a absolute path..which is above. Seems to work fine.

We shall see.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Hi!

I have an update.

I failed to mention something..but..it turned out not to make a bit of difference anyway.

When I installed this on VPS8..I did go into IIS setup and enabled 64bit ASP.Net (Turned off by default)

Last night..when I provisioned VPS18 for service..I forgot myself that I had enabled the 64Bit version. It made no difference at all..other than:

That critical line in the registry now has two options.

I could enable 64bit and fix it as above or...I could point that to the "normal" 32 bit version. I will do that..and see if it causes problems by not using the 64bit as before.

The only difference is ..\Framework64\

would be \Framework\

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

OK..32bit framework used..

Hi!
    As I had stated..for this vps I was going to fix the registry so it pointed to the 32bit version of the 2.X framework.

It worked fine..however..there was a few more steps involved..as it is unable to find the main database by itself.

Just click on <browse..>
    click the plus in front of local databases..and select:

S...\SQLEXPRESS

The 64bit version does this automagically.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

this is a nice tutorial. I tried it and it works.

regards