Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

php 4.3.11 is out

PHP 4.3.11 is out. You can grab the latest source from php.net. This is a maintance release but it does fix some big bugs. Upgrading sooner rather then later is better

cPanel has already release and update so you can run easyapache to upgrade if you are running it. I do not think RH has released an update yet.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

thanks for the info, looks like php 5.0.4 is out too
    link to the 4.3.11 changelog (http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php) for info on fixed issues

so we need to upgrade zend or it will use with this new version ?

Greetings:

FYI - http://secunia.com/advisories/14792/

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I am quite fedup of php. No doubt it is great, but I feel that as software processes there should be less and less bugs, but for php, seems to be a forever cycle of critical patches.

well look at windows as a whole or the linux kernel same deal.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Windows is different, it is a much larger project than PHP and it is really improving. If I remember correctly NT4 have Service Packs till 6A. Windows 2000 and 2003 much stable. Sorry I Bill Gates supporter : )

Yeah PHP is pretty buggy but still great to use. So I'll go ahead and upgrade my servers to this version. And the Windows thing is a little off topic, but like he said a big project like that will always have a few bugs in it.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Originally posted by boonchuan
    I am quite fedup of php. No doubt it is great, but I feel that as software processes there should be less and less bugs, but for php, seems to be a forever cycle of critical patches.
    If your fedup, then don't use it. If you feel its that much of a risk, is it really worth it ? I think before anyone uses such a product. They should really weigh the pro's and con's of the product. Especially when you have clients relying on these specific pieces of software.

Any software will have its issues. The thing with open source software, is its easier for people to find these bugs as they have direct access to the code. It may appear that php has more bugs than your regular non open source software, but who's to say thats correct ? People find bugs in non open source products all the time. Could you imagine the field day some hackers would have if microsoft did open up their source ? Would you rather php close its source, and leave major issues as is, such as the stance of MS ? And you can't say that isn't true, because it absolutely is.

Call me crazy, but im more than happy to patch a vulnerability. I'd be out of a job otherwise. Also, think about all the governments and companies making a switch to open source. Its not just because its usually better priced. It's a better model, and the way of the future.

Yes I am fedup with it, but I choose to use it. It is my choice as well as my right to my opinion.

Well yes. Most scripts are made with it now days anyway. Your not going to find hardly any or none at all, big projects like this that don't have some bugs in them.

Question... If I run cPanel/WHM and compile 4.3.11 using cPanel's buildapache will this break anything?

Thanks,
    Jordan

Prob is it is far too prevalent to be ignored. A lot of applications uses PHP in some way or another. Upgrading does cause some of the existing programs not to work. And there are a lot of upgrades.

It most certainly could of course. It all depends on your setup. A lot of people forget they have 3rd party modules such a mmcache, zend optomizer, etc. that they forget need updating too. Make sure if you have any 3rd party modules, etc. that they are updated accordingly. You'll know what I mean if you search the forum for the php 4.3.10 + zend optomizer incidents.

Remember people. RTFM Please, k, thnx!

Originally posted by LiquidBlueX
    Question... If I run cPanel/WHM and compile 4.3.11 using cPanel's buildapache will this break anything?

Thanks,
    Jordan

I upgraded PHP for more than 20 servers today. Everything went smooth.

Kevin
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

I've upgraded it on a few servers , been running so far lets just hope it keeps running well

This is one release after 3 and half month. Every software that's under development has bugs, so no offence.
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk

It is actually good it gets updated, it actually means someone's working on it, developing it and maintaining it.

updated on seven redhat/cpanel machines,
    so far so good, no visible problems in initial tests
    There is no magic. There are only onions.
    Rocket404.com - web development the smart way

is it ok to upgrade from 4.3.9 to 4.3.11

or should upgrade to 4.3.10 then to 4.3.11 ?

Originally posted by xmlxp
    is it ok to upgrade from 4.3.9 to 4.3.11

or should upgrade to 4.3.10 then to 4.3.11 ?
    just upgrade it to 4.3.11
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Same here, I've heard 4.3.10 was horrible, but I've updated to this version as of today and no problems. Everythings going as normal.

Yeah I upgraded and had no problems so far.

I tried to upgrade and if installed fine but no site loads with version 11, so I went back to 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast