Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

everydns.net down?

an hour ago I received a complaint from a user... he can not access his domain. After checking I realized everydns.net is not responding to queries.
    ns1 and ns2 are not even answering ping requests. ns3 and ns4 answer pings but simply timeouts DNS queries.
    Is anybody aware of what is happening? ans for how long will the problem last?
    Best regards
    Ernesto

Have you tried contacting support?

[edit: site is down]

Have a look at www.zoneedit.com

free and fast

nevermind. It seems they fixed it already. Good support David!

Looks like it's down again.
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

I can't reach it either -- I am sure Dave and Dave are going to get things fixed as quickly as possible -- always get great support from them.

Oh, and I have to add, in case Dave reads this: Must be that crappy djbdns they are running .

I just saw David's away message on AIM:

over 600mbits/second in aggr. DoS traffic...
    F**K
    Call my cell: 314.346.xxxx

DDoS

We're dealing with a distributed denial of service attack hitting ALL of our (distributed) nameservers.

It is in the magnitude of > .5 gigs/second which is just huge.

more to come...working hard with upstreams and my colo hosts (who are awesome).

-davidu
    EveryDNS.NET :: FreeDNS and more.

thanks

Thanks for the update, David.
    jason_s

DDoS are nasty, NASTY things.

Ugh!

-davidu

STATUS PAGE: http://12.25.235.40/

I'll be keeping that updated...

-davidu

Is it my imagination, or were there three posts to this thread that were deleted?

It isn't just your imagination. I received notifications in email that a user by the name of deeplist has posted at least three times.

Peter

By the way, David, any idea on why everydns.net was attacked? Were you somehow unfortunately associated with some unpopular sites?

Peter

Just to say I am sorry. I was going to post, but I was having trouble with my firewall, and I did not know I was posting repeatedly.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have a few upset clients. They use the everydns service, and they seem to think there are problems with my server. I guess they only know to come and complain to me when they have trouble.

Sorry once again.
    Charles E. Decker IV (President) - Decker Services LLC
    Fast & Affordable Hosting, Reseller Accounts & Dedicated Servers
    Don't sacrifice price for quality or trust a fly-by-night company!
    Uptime: 99.98% | Better Business Bureau Rating: A- | Online Since: 1998

Wow,

This is absolutely amazing. I had the order page open in another windows, all ready to order, and I see this. After a lot of research I thought they would offer the best service, but this kind of stuff just cant happen. This really is too bad. Hopefully they can get things under control.

Originally posted by TheMMIz

This is absolutely amazing. I had the order page open in another windows, all ready to order, and I see this. After a lot of research I thought they would offer the best service, but this kind of stuff just cant happen. This really is too bad. Hopefully they can get things under control.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Any service like this can get DoS'd, it is not the fault of EveryDNS -- they built a very scalable and redundant system, but even the best systems have trouble digesting 500 Megs of traffic.

It doesn't matter where you host your DNS, there is always the risk of DoS attacks making your DNS unavailable -- especially now that script kiddies think DNS Servers are a cool target.

Originally posted by TheMMIz
    Wow,

What exactly were you planning on ordering?

we don't sell anything.

Anyways -- we're 2/4 on machines being up now...slowly getting there.

I am aware this is devastating. I'm feeling the worst of it I promise. My recommendation to the people flipping: go outside and see the sun. (harsh but true).

-davidu

Thumbs up

I am aware this is devastating. I'm feeling the worst of it I promise. My recommendation to the people flipping: go outside and see the sun. (harsh but true).
    Hey, you guys have had great uptime and service. No complaints here. This situation is a little uncomfortable for the end users, but hopefully it will be over soon.

It wouldn't be coming up any faster if we we're paying for it somewhere else.

Keep up the good work.
    jason_s

ns3.everydns.net is now online and answering queries.

ns2.everydns.net should be online very soon and answering queries.

ns4.everydns.net is being filtered by my ISP as the DoS knocked them hard the first time it hit and there is no reason to repeat that. As the attack subsides, the block will be lifted.

ns1.everydns.net was nullrouted by Verio and will continue to be nullrouted until the multiple hundreds of megabits/second of traffic stop. It is far too much for them to filter at this time.

With ns2 and ns3 up all users should be back in business.

-davidu

Originally posted by DavidU
    What exactly were you planning on ordering?

we don't sell anything.

Anyways -- we're 2/4 on machines being up now...slowly getting there.

-davidu
    Yeah,

Sorry about that, I know I wasnt adding anything constructive to the post, but I was just really surprised. Are you not EasyDNS.com? If not I apologize, I had posted in the wrong thread. From EasyDNS.com, one can order DNS services, similar to ZoneEdit, and a few others. I was hoping to use their services for when my server was down, it would jump to a second server, but that doesnt work when they're down.

-Matt

Unhappy

ns2.everydns.net not responding??

Anyone else seeing this?
    jason_s

Originally posted by jason_s
    ns2.everydns.net not responding??

Anyone else seeing this?

Yeah... that's the final straw for me.... I'm moving!

Originally posted by golfer
    Yeah... that's the final straw for me.... I'm moving!
    Why? DNS is designed with redundancy in mind, if one server goes down the others are still there to answer queries, and you won't lose any traffic.

I've been a customer of theirs for a while, and other than the DDoS attack (which was not their fault), their service and support have been great, especially considering that this is a free service.

This type of knee jerk reaction does not really solve any problems, you can't find a DNS provider that does not have some downtime. Servers fail, that just is part of life, just like you cannot find a hosting provider that won't have some downtime.

So, if you want to find yourself jumping from DNS provider to DNS provider feel free -- but you are going to have the same problems anywhere you go.

These guys have been down for about 4 days now (off and on). That's totally unacceptable... even if it is free... Unless you have a site about your dog.

I've been using other DNS services, and nothing like this has ever happenned.... Of course, I'm paying about $25 per year for those services though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast