What are the best rates to be found for dedicated servers (we run Linux)and with no restrictions of the number of virtual domains. It seems many offer reasonable rates but try to charge it back on the number of domains. How many virtual domains can you support under a dedicated server anyway - presuming extremely small traffic volume on average?

That largely depends on the server config you have. Some hosts would cramp the server with 400sites when the server can only take around 300 of them.
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

ded server

What a server can handle depends on the hardware and has nothing to do with the amount of virtual domains, although there is a direct corolation. Basically use need to monitor your cpu and mem usage, as you add more domains that usage is going to go up, at some point you would need a new server. A lower end pentium III w/128mb ram can usually run around 200 sites which use resources moderatly. Of course a 1 ghz machine with 1 gig of ram could host 500+ sites. It all depends on your users usage and your hardware.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Originally posted by richscs

What are the best rates to be found for dedicated servers (we run Linux)and with no restrictions of the number of virtual domains. It seems many offer reasonable rates but try to charge it back on the number of domains. How many virtual domains can you support under a dedicated server anyway - presuming extremely small traffic volume on average?
    I don't understand this practice at dedicated servers. Why they charge for additional domains? They can charge for additional IP addresses, but what I'm doing on that server(how many virtual domains I have) is not their business while I'm not broking the lows.

I've never seen a dedicated company try to charge you based on the number of sites on a server. There are companies which limit the number of sites on a server. Alabanza does this, but it's not a hard thing. They recommend no more than 500 sites on their low end server.

In real terms, I wouldn't put more than 250 on a server. This, of course, depends on the amount of CGI used. Obviously a low end CPU with low memory can't handle 250 sites, as Charles stated. Also 10 or 20 big UBB boards can wipe a server out.

Use TOP to monitor your server. Look at memory, Swap file, CPU utilization and processes running to determine when you need a new server.
    Life is Minimum live it Maximum.

The number of accounts you can put on one server depends on the server hardware, but more importantly the type of sites your putting on that server.

Most of my clients site's are very inactive therefore allowing me to put more domains on the same server.

If I had 100 very active accounts, they would obviously consume more resources then inactive ones.

There are too many factors involved to just throw out a number like 500 or 200 or 1000.

Like cbaker said, monitor your cpu and mem usage closely. That is the best indicator of whether or not you need to add more hardware (ram, etc..) or whether you're maxed out and need to get another server.

Question # of sites relate to # on a T1

If you say as an example 200-300 sites on one server and the CPU and Mem are not maxed out.
    How many sites can a T1 handle?
    Bob

Hi bob,

again, it depends on too many factors. How busy are those sites, what kind of hardware. You could have one site that hogs half the T1 and then 200 sites that don't even use the other half.

The traffic that sites generate will determine how many sites a T1 can handle.

A T-1 can push about 400 gig of traffic through total if it stayed maxed out. So if you figure a moderate server with 200 sites will probably use around 50-80 gig mo. on average (of course we all know this varies) , so if you had a T-1 and ran it at 50% capacity (average) then you could host about 3-4 servers at 200 sites per server. Of course when it comes down to peak times and some sites start getting heavy hits then that T-1 probably isnt good for more than 1-2 servers.
    Greg Landis | Director of Growth Jaguarpc - Unlock Superior Hosting with JaguarPC
    Managed Servers - Virtual Private Servers | AMD EPYC Dedicated servers
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | (888)-338-5261 | greg @ jaguarpc.com