Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seedbox hosting help

Hi,

First of all, sorry if my english isn't that good..

My goal is to host seedbox on a dedicated server.

I want to offer a fast and reliable network connection, which means I need to find a low cost provider.

I need to rent a dedicated server with unmetered DEDICATED bandwidth at 100 Mbps. I found a place in Chicago that offers what I need for a low cost, but I am not sure if I can write it here, can I??

The server is a Core2duo 8400, 10gb ram,1x 200gb, 2x 1.5Tb HD with 100Mbps DEDICATED Bandwidth and will be holding 25 torrent boxes.

Here is the package I want to offer for my seedbox:
    110GB disk space
    Unlimited data transfer
    Unlimited torrent
    368Mb ram dedicated (burstable 1gb)
    100mbps (dedicated 4mbps per seedbox, burstable 100mbps)
    torrentflux-b4rt 1.0 beta2 installed
    dedicated IP
    ftp account
    no setup fee
    Cost: between 38$ and 43$ USD per month
    N.B.: Public tracker are permited, but try to keep ratio no higher than 1. Seed for what you take but no more..

The host operating system will be CentOS 5.3 Final. I will be using OpenVZ to create VPS to hold each torrent box and assign limits. Each VPS with also have CentOS 5.3 installed with apache and mysql.

The point of my posting is to get some advises from you. Everything that can help me, just say it. Is it to expensive? or not? Anything I should know about OpenVZ? Is OpenVZ a good choice?

thanks

nothing is "Unlimited". you will get unmetered. look into dedicated hosting offers section

hi Prajyot, thank you for the fast reply!

I know that Unlimited is usually used for marketing purposes. What I meant, was more like unmetered.

Thanks

if possible can you post your budget

My budget is between 400$ and 500$ US per month. I found at fdcservers a package with dedicated unmetered bandwidth for 399$/mo. I am going to add some more RAM and another HD. My goal is to sell really cheap seedbox, but I don't want to sell scrap

The thing I don't get is that some places are going to charge 1000$+ for dedicated unmetered 100mbps connections when other sell it for much cheaper.. why so? I've seen really good reviews for FDCservers.. what do you think?

Another thing, when you buy a seedbox that has a 100mbps connection, how many boxes are accually on that same connection.. is 25 too much? or I could have more boxes..?

Should I charges more per box to get a more expensive server with unmetered dedicated line? Will it really be better than the one I have for half the price??

bandwidth costs depends upon company and network that's why there is big difference in price. FDS is good one but are you sure they allow seed boxes?
    because some time user uses seedbox for warez things.

yes, that was the first question I asked them. Here is what they replied:

you can run anything you like as long as your activity does not break any laws.
    the 100Mbps is dedicated , you can max it out 24x7
    As for warez, public FTP or public torrentbox account wont be permited. I won't be giving root access, so that might also help to avoid that kind of unlawful activities.

So you think FDC would be a good choice?

Problems:
    1. You will have one main problem. All these seedbox hosting packages are provided to host illegal files and to seed them to other people. This is illegal everywhere, but in USA, the hosting companies are very stricted against this. So if you want to do that, you will have more chance to host this for a while if you choose EU/Asia.
    2. Usually when you offer VPS plans, 100Mbps dedicated for 25 clients is not that bad, but when we talk about seedboxes, if each client's average speed is less then 20Mbps, they won't choose you. There is plenty of people like you who offer this, but they are using OVH where most of the seedboxes are hosted so basicly, it's in there network. Therefore, very easy to reach 100Mbps and also, they offer 100Mbps per 5-10 client's maximum.

Advice:
    1. Better choose EU(server.lu, OVH, Keyweb, LeaseWeb). That's how you won't have problems with the speed and the routing to other seedboxes and your clients will be happy. As a bonus, you might stay longer alive and not been shut down after the second month.
    2. For this kind of business, go for a low-end server, because the configuration is not that important. What is important for this is the speed.

I hope, I help.

Hi NikolayM, thank you for your post, it sure helps!

I look into hosting my seedboxes in Europe, but I have been told that their links were slow. Is that right?

I found really good deals there, almost too good to be true. I just looked at OVH and they offer Bi Xeon Quad 8x 2.33+ GHz, 16Gb ram, 2TB HD, garantied 200mbps on 2x1gbps connections... all that for 299 euros.. do you think that would be good?

Do people hesitate on buying a seedbox when it is hosted in europe?

You will struggle. BitTorrent is very heavy on disk i/o. 25 users on one box is going to be an absolute nightmare.

SeedBit, so you would recommend having 4x750gb instead of 2x1500gb? I could also partition each disk into more partitions.. that would probably help a bit! What do you think?

SeedBit makes a good point, however if you went with 3x1.5TB disks in a RAID 5 setup I think you would be pretty good to go.

Raid 5 will allow for improved disk I/O as well as give you a backup of sorts. Should one drive fail, the other two will still function. You need 3 disks of the same size however and you will only have the capacity of two.

Example:
    3 x 1.5TB = 3TB usable
    3 x 500GB = 1GB usable

Additionally you can always go for RAID 0 that will give you the increased I/O performance but will not give you a fail save drive, this would be a cheaper solution if you are not concerned with backup / failsafe.

You could use two drives in a RAID 0.

If at all possible consider SCSI or SAS drives, however they will be much more pricey and smaller in size compared to SATA.

It also appears FDC offers hardware raid 0 / 5 for a flat $150 fee, this is an option you should consider.

Quote Originally Posted by mathieu166 View Post
    SeedBit, so you would recommend having 4x750gb instead of 2x1500gb? I could also partition each disk into more partitions.. that would probably help a bit! What do you think?
    Yes, doubling the number of drives would be a substantial improvement. I still think you'd need a RAID array or even more drives. Possibly 6 x 500GB ?

The rest of the specs are fine as BitTorrent uses very little CPU (except when hash checking which doesn't happen very often), and your users should be fine on 368MB RAM.

Be careful about the host you use due to copyright issues etc.
    Last edited by SeedBit; 08-30-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Ok thanks SeedBit!

Be careful about the host you use due to copyright issues etc.
    I know that torrents are always related to warez and stuff like that but what other seedbox host do about that? Is there anything to do about it?

The only problem with 6 drives is it may increase his costs quite a bit, what I recommended should be able to stay within his budget.

OP: If you have the ability to boost your budget, then the additional drives would be worth it.
    Last edited by CoishAssociates; 08-30-2009 at 06:13 PM.

As mentioned before 25 users using a 100mbit connection no one will be happy with you also remember that there is already a lot of seedbox hosting companies out that that have around 3-6 users on a 100mbit connection also check if your allowed to buy from ovh they only allow some countries to buy and they now have bandwidth caps

how can they afford dedicated 100mbps to only 3-6 users.. is it actually dedicated? Or everyone just trust them? Do large companies with lots of bandwidth actually sell seedboxes.. I doubt it! So, where all those low price unmetered 100mbps get there profits?

There is a major difference between:

100Mbps Unmetered
    100Mbps Dedicated

If they have 3 - 6 users at $30 or so, they are using unmetered, dedicated bandwidth is way too expensive to be able to do that.

Perhaps consider splitting your clients up among two servers, on a 100Mbps unmetered connection with 2x1TB in a RAID 1 setup.

This would be more than sufficient I would venture to say. You could do it within your budget and it would greatly reduce the disk I/O usage.

Coish, yes I understand the differences between dedicated and unmetered. What I'm looking for is dedicated unmetered.. So that no one else shares my line with no limits of bandwitdh.

Quote Originally Posted by mash-e1 View Post
    As mentioned before 25 users using a 100mbit connection no one will be happy with you also remember that there is already a lot of seedbox hosting companies out that that have around 3-6 users on a 100mbit connection also check if your allowed to buy from ovh they only allow some countries to buy and they now have bandwidth caps
    From my understanding, mash is actually refering to dedicated bandwidth here, but says that 3-6 (only) uses that dedicated line. I really doubt that anyone is selling 3-6 seedbox per dedicated 100mbps line. Maybe if they would be sold over 150$.

I will go do my homework and ask some seexbox provider..

Mathieu, if mash is in fact stating dedicated bandwidth I have no idea where he is getting his numbers from. It could be from a provider he has seen that is offering up false advertising.

The cheapest I've seen 100Mbps dedicated ever, in my life is $280, that said I haven't really actively searched out the cheapest prices. However assume 6 clients divided by $280 and each client would be paying over $46 a lone to cover the cost of such a connection.

Would they pay this? I have no idea. Perhaps if mash could give us an example of such a company that offers this, or the pricing of such accounts.

I have a small seedbox company so I know a little about what I'm talking...

25 boxes is VEEEEEEERY much.

I actually use servers from OVH, and put:

On Kimsufi L (old Plans, it's a Celeron 1.2 with 1GB RAM 250GB HD), 3 users per server

On Sp MINI (Core2DUO 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 2x500GB HD RAID0), 6 users per server

What I see: network connection is not so much used all the time, but the read/write of HDD is the major problem. Each active torrent needs to seek and read to seed, and it slows things down.

I've tried putting 20 users with TorrentFlux on a DEDIPRO (Dedibox.fr top server), it's a Intel Quad Xeon with 8GB RAM and 3x1TB HDD, even with 7 users by HDD the quantity of processes turned load average really really high and things don't worked.

My tip: instead of getting a ONE very good server, get many not-so-good. You will win on bandwidth, on price, on everything.

<<snipped>>

Just to know i have actually

11 SP Minis
    11 Kimsufi L
    1 Kimsufi XL
    1 Kimsufi 4XL
    2 DEDIPRO

on all these servers only 90 clients...

I was going yo say the provider ikkenzho mentioned ovh and kimsufi but now they have bandwidth limits and no more 100mbps unmetered also if your using ovh/kimsufi to make vps its not really a good option just check out how much they charge for IP really expensive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast