Thread: ips and hosting

ips and hosting

I really dont see many hosts using name based hosting, but that is just me, I know they are out there, my question is, do your NOCs allow you to give one ip perdomain? Lets say you host 240 domains, will you noc give you a full c address? What about the arin rule about no more ips for that(I might have got that wrong).

I'm pretty sure ARIN rules say IP-based virtual hosting is a bad-thing(TM).

I'm not sure exactly what the Arin rules are, but I offer static ip addresses to my customers...thus the ability for them to install secure certs for their domain. There are a few smaller ones I use name-based hosting for, but not many.
    WeedBiz™ provides comprehensive internet marketing services for the emerging legal cannabis industry in the United States and Canada.

sbrad, do you colocate? Are they fine with it?

I have dedicated servers, and it's cool. I get all the ip's I need. Now, I'm not saying that's always going to be the case. Either something's going to have to give, or ipv6 is really going to have to take off. I can see the rioting in the streets already by 20- and 30-somethings with their cell phones and laptops yelling, "heck no, we won't let go (of our ip's).
    WeedBiz™ provides comprehensive internet marketing services for the emerging legal cannabis industry in the United States and Canada.

Originally posted by sbrad
    I'm not sure exactly what the Arin rules are
    The ARIN rules require that use of IP numbers be justified in order for more to be allocated. When a provider requests a block, they must show how previous address allocations have been used and must provide details about their one-year growth projection.

Basically, as I understand it, the requirements to be allocated a new block are a 25% immediate utilization rate of that block, and a 50% utilization rate within one year. But there are circumstances under which higher rates might be required.

Last edited by JayC; 07-21-2001 at 10:15 PM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

At some point last year, ARIN was about to banned any new IP based virtual hosting and start promoting name based virtual hosting. But with the effort of some webhosting companies, they've put that motion on hold for indefinite time.
    Roy K.
    Pixie Internet Services - http://www.pixiehost.com
    Affordable, reliable hosting solution with Instant Activation

http://www.arin.net/announcements/webhosting.html

The policy about namebased hosting was suspended. Please keep up with policy.

http://www.arin.net/announcements/webhosting.html

All you have to do is "Technically Justify" the use of the IP. For example, you used the IP for a SSL based site.

I never read the policy, just the part about ips was listed on some dedicated server site.

Yes, most NOC will ask you to justify your IP's. If an account doesn't require an IP it's a waste to give them one. What do you really need an IP for if all you're going to do is to host a basic static site without SSL? Most NOC will need an allocation and justification for any IP's that you specify.
    VERVE Web Solutions, LLC
    http://www.vervesolutions.com
    New Name Same Quality Service since 2000!!
    Now offering SiteBuilder :: Build your site in 5 easy steps

Isn't the ARIN try to be strict about the IP usage because there is an IP shortage?
    PalmVersa Communications
    PalmVersa.com
    ICQ# 120775841

We have a /19 (16 class C's) from Arin directly at the moment, have done since end of last year and we definetly offer unique IPs on our virtual hosting products, we also offer our dedicated server clients unlimited IPs based on justified usage.

This is important for them, as they wish to offer their customers a unique IP.

I would also comment, that any host big enough to need at least a /19 (or think they will do within a year) should go ahead and apply to arin, it gives you a huge amount more freedom when picking your provider (or moving provider, as in our case) and also looks much more professional from the educated hosting buyers point of view.
    Ultraspeed UK Ltd.

mutli-homed

You are at least multi-homed. I do not have this yet as I can not justify the costs of setting up the routers and connections with few or no customers. I will later when business gets going.

Originally posted by Jordan
    We have a /19 (16 class C's) from Arin directly at the moment, have done since end of last year and we definetly offer unique IPs on our virtual hosting products, we also offer our dedicated server clients unlimited IPs based on justified usage.

This is important for them, as they wish to offer their customers a unique IP.

I would also comment, that any host big enough to need at least a /19 (or think they will do within a year) should go ahead and apply to arin, it gives you a huge amount more freedom when picking your provider (or moving provider, as in our case) and also looks much more professional from the educated hosting buyers point of view.

I totally agree with that, but then the cost to get those IPs from Arin is also high.
    Roy K.
    Pixie Internet Services - http://www.pixiehost.com
    Affordable, reliable hosting solution with Instant Activation