Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    You state that Jules is not the owner of This*.

http://whois.domaintools.com/thiswebhost.com

Why does he own the domain? (As he legally does according to ICANN.)
    SiFuQi.net - Affordable Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, California
    24x7 Support • Enterprise Grade Hardware • Automated OS Reinstalls
    Check out our reseller program, with a unique two-tiered discount.

FYI I've got no relation to this*, just quoted that from their blog. I guess they can come here and clarify who the actual owner is in that case.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by flam316 View Post
    I did not bash on ThisWebHost or anything of the sort.
    Hence the objective topic title. Ahem.

Who cares why he posted it. This IS Web Hosting Talk. Hence.. Where you talk/discuss web hosts..

Also, it appears that they have realized they've done wrong, and maybe even felt it from all the different communities.

Hello, my name is Doug and I have been appointed as both a support operator and customer service operative for this*. I’ve been asked to take over duties on this blog and on Twitter. I have also been asked to inform and clarify users of a few things:

Jules does not own ThisWebHost, but is factually the Technical Director. Jules does a fantastic job looking after things and keeping the infrastructure running well. Unfortunately though, as is often the case with very technically minded people, customer service is not always his strong point..shall we say? =) Admittedly it is very easy to become frustrated in this industry, we are only human after all. Sometimes it takes a particular person to be more of a “front facing” representative of a company, and this is where I come in.

On Twitter we have removed Jules’ comments because we believe they are not representative of our tone and communication as a company. As a company we can see how potentially damaging to our reputation his comments could be interpreted. Rest assured we’re not trying to hide anything (or I would not be writing this blog post, and I’m sure more than enough of you have taken screenshots already!) but sadly Twitter does not have a way of archiving messages to a particular folder or group. Jules no longer has access to the Twitter account (something he is probably thankful for!) so I hope this is a very small starting step towards a much improved customer service experience on Twitter and in general. Due to the number of mentions right now I will not be monitoring the account for a few days to hopefully allow things to calm a little.

As for Jules’ fate…as I said before he does a fantastic job in his role of Technical Director and as such will of course remain with the company, however in a much more reclusive role =)

On a more serious note, I would like to extend an apology to the three individuals surrounding the situation.

Boris: I apologize for the DM you received. It is our policy not to discuss client accounts with anyone but the account holder. I have unsuspended your account and hope that this allows you to retrieve any data required. Since you have stated before that you were happy with our hosting I would like to discuss with you the option of staying with us and perhaps some additional compensation. Please get in touch.

Bernado: I would also like to apologize for the Tweets posted that included you. I would also extend the same offer of unsuspending your account(s) with us, however I’m afraid that is no longer possible. Whilst on a personal note I do not fully agree with the suspension placed on your account, the language used by yourself was certainly not acceptable under any circumstances – even if driven by frustration surrounding the incident. Due to the ‘back and forth’ I can see that it was not completely unjustified and had the account not been terminated would have loved to have offered a solution to you too.

I will be contacting the individual concerned experiencing the PayPal dispute and will attempt to assist where I can.

I am now actively reviewing our policy of terminating business relationships with clients so that they are at least given a period of time without service interruption to investigate other hosting solutions and providers. Having a clear policy will prevent any ‘on-a-whim’ decisions made by staff in the future and hopefully prevent situations like this from happening. It is not a situation that should happen very often, but guidelines do need to be drawn up to protect both the customer and also ourselves.

I would like to remind people that contacting us with abusive e-mail messages is in fact illegal and we will be taking the appropriate steps to forward these messages and information gathered to both the relevant ISP’s and law enforcement agencies. Sadly it is the people who post such messages that are causing me to disable comments on this blog post.
    - http:// www . thiswebhost .com/blog/2011/08/
    Last edited by bluemer; 08-16-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Also, it appears that they have realized they've done wrong, and maybe even felt it from all the different communities.
    What is the point of re-posting something that is already posted?

Who cares why he posted it. This IS Web Hosting Talk. Hence.. Where you talk/discuss web hosts..
    Sure, I agree that this is Webhostingtalk and it is where people can discuss other providers, you have you own opinions on this and that is perfectly acceptable but I was asking Flam what the benefit was to this thread other than bashing This*?
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Who cares why he posted it.
    We do tend to police unwarranted recommendations and critiques, so Sparrow-Sean's questioning makes sense.

On the other hand, I can't help remembering that there's been a big discussion on Godaddy's owner shooting down an elephant. That's a lot less relevant to Godaddy as a company and host, than a hosting company manager shutting down a customer's website and deleting the data.

IMHO, what we're witnessing is an, unfortunately, wrong judgement call, coupled with a really bad business decision. Still, the host's representative has apparently kept his cool verbally, and that's not what you'll see with a kiddie host. While this story is a setback for their brand, I trust they're the kind of people who can learn from it, and grow out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    It is a "Direct Message" via Twitter

@Flam

Though, what is your intentions on posting this though?

I understand that everyone has a right to "publically" link to other areas of the internet, but what is your purpose or gain out of doing so?

I have read the comments that JulesR has used and in some respect I do disagree with a lot of the things that have been done and it is not right (bad mouthing) is not the way to go!

But in restrospect, what is the intent to this post/thread?
    My intent was NOT to bash ThisWebHost. I was appalled at the post/comments I have read on Reddit (hence the title). I was curious as to what the WebHostingTalk community thought of this incident, because it is relevant. If I did something wrong, please let me know.

Again, my intentions were not to bash ThisWebHost. I have not "bad mouthed" at all. The Reddit thread left me shocked and surprised that a host would do this, which is why I created the title of this thread as you see it. No bad mouthing has been committed (and if it seemed like it, it wasn't my intentions for it to be taken that way).
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Don't see my post as a deterrent, I was more than curious why you posted this thread as it was somewhat irrelevant if you actually do not host with them - for me, if you were hosting with them and saw that than it might warrant it to be posted in complete and utter disgrace, but when you consider someone that has never used them and just links to a thread on Redditt that could potentially cause problems then it seems a little unwarranted.

From my angle it just seems like a way to bash another provider, but as you are not a provider there is not competition or gain from it in that sense.

So hence why I was quesitoning why you'd posted this thread.

But I will not keep it running, people please discuss away!
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    We do tend to police unwarranted recommendations and critiques, so Sparrow-Sean's questioning makes sense.

On the other hand, I can't help remembering that there's been a big discussion on Godaddy's owner shooting down an elephant. That's a lot less relevant to Godaddy as a company and host, than a hosting company manager shutting down a customer's website and deleting the data.

IMHO, what we're witnessing is an, unfortunately, wrong judgement call, coupled with a really bad business decision. Still, the host's representative has apparently kept his cool verbally, and that's not what you'll see with a kiddie host. While this story is a setback for their brand, I trust they're the kind of people who can learn from it, and grow out of it.
    I would have to say with the Godaddy situation a lot of people including myself have moved any type of service away from them since the elephant incident and a lot of my females clients are not impressed with the way they objectify women. Plus it doesn't help that their servers and hosting is on the bottom of the list anyways. I've only used them for domains but started transferring everything to NetEarthOne.

There has to be a balance between your personal life and the way you run a business. Even if your the best fortune 500 business, if you start doing all sorts of negative social acts it will catch up with you and get slandered all over the media. Who knows what transpired behind all of this between these two.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

Sorry, I cannot quote you directly. That is because Jules is the tech guy and registered the domain at our request. I do not see a problem with him "owning" the domain at all. WHOIS information is no indication of company ownership, and there is absolutely no risk of domain theft.

If anyone has any more questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisDoug View Post
    Sorry, I cannot quote you directly. That is because Jules is the tech guy and registered the domain at our request. I do not see a problem with him "owning" the domain at all. WHOIS information is no indication of company ownership, and there is absolutely no risk of domain theft.

If anyone has any more questions I would be more than happy to answer them.
    But the question remains - who does own the company. Would that be you?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

No, I do not own the company. I do not see the question as relevant. The information is publically available if you really wish to access it.

No, I do not own the company.
    If you don't own it, why did you request Jules register the domain?

Because he is the technical director and that's his job, to oversee the technical aspects of the company?

Because he is the technical director and that's his job, to oversee the technical aspects of the company?
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Jules Robinson's Experience

Owner
    ThisWebHost
    Internet industry
    Currently holds this position
    Explain?

Still doesn't make sense. The name should be registered to the company, not to an individual if he doesn't own it. I've registered domains for clients and put the client as the owner,admin, billing and myself as tech.

I personally see a few problems with that down the road.

Here we go
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    The name should be registered to the company, not to an individual if he doesn't own it.
    Based on a Google cache of LinkedIn, Jules did claim to own thiswebhost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jules_owner.PNG  

Hmm, I was not curious about the owner(s) of the company, but Doug not seeing the question as relevant (after having written: "If anyone has any more questions I would be more than happy to answer them") has made me curious.

And this interview has made more curious, as Jules is described as one of the "brains". Ok... a "brain" is not an owner, but in my opinion a "brain" would share the same responsibilities.

I'm saying this not because I'm willing to demonize someone or the company, but stating that Jules is not the owner (even if he's been one of the brains behind the company) seems to be a not so wise strategy to separate the company from the issue. In my opinion, taking full responsibility would be much better.

Glad I keep my business straight. Dealt with a scam artist client once. Did some googling to find out he was in the middle of a scam lawsuit with a church impersonation an NBA player, computer store scam, hotel scam, wanted in florida, and it goes on.

I would suggest its time for some stories to get straighten out...people's on here will find the truth.

With respect to those who have asked questions, right now this feels very much like a manhunt against us. Yes, we were wrong, and we're working to correct that, but I honestly don't feel it is fair for you to call in every single aspect of our business on decisions made some 3 years ago.

Jules is and was co-founder of ThisWebHost (hence being referred to as "the brain"). Why he put "Owner" on LinkedIn? That's something I of course can't answer. I would assume it is so that he could set up the LinkedIn page for the company. Perhaps it requires the owner? I'm not sure of their policy.

Is it a problem that Jules registered the domains and his information in the WHOIS? I do not see it as a concern at all. Jules is not going anywhere, and there is no feeling of danger that he's about to run off and steal the domains. He is trusted and would not have been put in such a position if deemed the company would be at risk. I realize the irony of that statement given todays events, but from the perspective of losing the domains, it's simply not going to happen.

Are we trying to distance ourselves from Jules? No, not at all. If we were we would not have made a blog post stating that he is still working for this* albeit in a less than public fashion. We take full responsibility for what has happened, but right now we can only work on trying to make things right and ensure that these situations do not happen again in the future.

So, whom are you again? I thought it was Jules & David. Is it now Jules & Doug, or are you a figment of someone's imagination? http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/07...43/compdetails doesn't show much.

We've got Jules listed as owner on Linkedin, several web hosting review sites where he's the primary contact & listed as 'owner', and he's represented thiswebhost singlehandedly now for ~3+ years on the internet. Quite odd to say the least.
    Last edited by David; 08-17-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Very mature. Pardon me whilst I don't entertain you on this one.

I'm not trying to hunt you down. How ever you guys run your business is not really my concern.

Before starting my current company I was co-owner of another company for 10 years. Once things started getting questionable as your situation currently is, things started to hit the fans. This is why I am the captain of my own ship. If I sink it I can't blame anyone.

Not knowing why someone else publicly stated they own the company doesn't make sense. I would have it corrected immediately. Things might be cool now, but where do you guys plan to be in 2021?

Just advise from experience.

Very mature. Pardon me whilst I don't entertain you on this one.
    Pardon me while I continue suspecting you're pulling a Kaumil.

Jules had listed on a single website that he was the owner. He was not publically masquerading as the owner, and on no other websites did he list himself as such, nor did he ever appear to make any claims to anyone that he was. People seem to be currently looking for any little piece of information to discredit it. Whilst that is your perogative, I can assure you that you are looking for something that is not there.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast