Question Yahoo as registrar: Pros and cons

I would be grateful if you please tell me the pros and cons of using Yahoo as a domain registrar.

I have registered two domains with them and didn't find any issues as yet. I read that Yahoo is not feasible for a registrar. I am going to register another domain and intending to use Yahoo again.

Please advise me about your views.

Regards,

Riz
    Either they believe in me, trust me, and are willing to take the risk that I will deliver success, or they don't. It's that simple. There's no haggling. I don't negotiate. - Michael Bloomberg

I can't see any pros.

Cons:

- they are not registrar - only the reseller for Melbourne IT;
    - you will receive no support;
    - it's pain in ... you know where ... to transfer out of them. Now, when com/net will require EPP code (that will happen in 10 days from now) it will be almost impossible to transfer even them; because you will NOT get that code from Yahoo...
    - they don't support child nameservers, so you will not be able to create ns1/2/3/etc.YOURDOMAIN.TLD.
    - they don't support internal domain push.

Shorter - stay away from Yahoo. As far as you can.

Good luck!
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).

Hi thanks for the reply.

Can you please suggest some reasonable and reliable host?

Regards,

Riz
    Either they believe in me, trust me, and are willing to take the risk that I will deliver success, or they don't. It's that simple. There's no haggling. I don't negotiate. - Michael Bloomberg

Quote Originally Posted by rizabbasi
    Can you please suggest some reasonable and reliable host?
    I am not sure we can suggest *hosts* here, you better try different forum: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1 . Please make sure you state your requirements very precisely when asking.

Even better, you can use a 'find a host' link at the top right corner of the site. See it?

Good luck!

Cons:
    Yahoo auto-renews the domain 1 month before it expires by charging your credit card on file. You cannot initiate or re-schedule the payment.

Stan,

Sorry I mean a good registrar.

Riz

eNom is what we use and we are very satisfied. You can find the full list of ICANN accredited registrar's here

NameCheap are good and recommended a lot here on WHT.
    Signature Under Construction.

Yahoo only provides the discount to new customers.
    Webmaster Magazine
    Online magazine providing the latest Internet news and webmaster know-how articles and resources in web developments, ecommerce and seo fields.
    Keyword Advisor
    Use our keyword advisor to check your keyword competitive rate.

It is possible to transfer EPP domains away from Yahoo. I've done it. You have to call their tech support, and they will ask you to cancel your account. Once that's done they will provide you with a way to access the account through melboureit. Once that works, you submit a ticket to MelbourneIT and they will provide you with the EPP. Do the transfer and it will work.

The big trick (and the thing that trips everyone up) is the cancelling with Yahoo. It only cancels the business portion of the account, which is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY before you can transfer away. Once the cancellation is complete, the domain is still in your name, but you have to access it using the info given by Yahoo support, at MelbourneIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Marsh
    I can't see any pros.

Cons:

- they are not registrar - only the reseller for Melbourne IT;
    - you will receive no support;
    - it's pain in ... you know where ... to transfer out of them. Now, when com/net will require EPP code (that will happen in 10 days from now) it will be almost impossible to transfer even them; because you will NOT get that code from Yahoo...
    - they don't support child nameservers, so you will not be able to create ns1/2/3/etc.YOURDOMAIN.TLD.
    - they don't support internal domain push.

Shorter - stay away from Yahoo. As far as you can.

Good luck!
    That's useful information Stan. Thanks.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

I'd definitely recommend you reliability of Enom

Quote Originally Posted by HHIC
    I'd definitely recommend you reliability of Enom
    Has OP asked for recommendations?

I've been using Yahoo! domains for a while, i have about 10 domains with them. They are solid providers for name registration but it sure is a nightmare to do a domain transfer to a new owner, Physical affdavits are wrote out to each party by mail.