First time hosting help. Linode,KnownHost,6sync,BuyVM...

Hello,

I need to find a host for a business website. I do not currently have any idea of bandwidth usage or anything as this is a brand new site for a brand new company. I was looking at a VPS because, although a shared hosting solution might suffice for now, I feel like it will offer more flexibility once we figure out what we will need or our needs start to change making it easier for us to grow without jumping from host to host (making the choice even more important to me). Maybe I'm wrong (and if I am please say so) but I feel like a shared solution wouldn't be right.

I was looking at Linode, KnownHost, and 6sync because of positive reviews. I also was looking at BuyVM because their pricing seems so good, but I think the reliability might be a step behind the others so I'm not sure. I'm trying to compare features (pro/cons) between them and was hoping someone could help. Basically what does one have that the other might not (I think I'm missing some things in my comparison). Differences in # of IP addresses, backups, panels, visualization approach, server hardware, etc? A few questions I have already on my mind is:
    • Why does KnownHost offer more bandwidth on their $35 plan (2,000 GB) then any of Linode's plans? How does that make any sense?
    • When KnownHost says "managed VPS" what type of "management" am I getting with that?
    • What type of reliability, uptime, customer support would I get with BuyVM and is it fair to compare them with the other providers here?
    • How big of a deal is Linode having datacenter is 6 different regions (one being in NJ where I'm from)? Should I be concerned that KnownHost only has datacenters in TX/CA?
    • How does 6sync's "biscuit" compare to the others offerings? Would it be wrong to say that 6sync might be to "new" to go with when you are concerned about longevity and a host that you can stick with for a long time? (sorry to say, but it is something on my mind)

I'm very new to all of this. My background is Computer Engineering. I have programming (java, c++, perl, python, etc.) and linux experience, but I do not have any experience with website design/programming/administration/etc except some practice I've done setting up my own home web server following slicehost guides a while back. I know how to setup firewall stuff, dns, install necessary software and for the most part configure it. I'm not sure if my experience will be sufficient to really set everything up without a control panel. It's hard to know this when you've never been formally trained and don't really know anyone who does know this stuff and basically you are going off of what guides are telling you is correct. So I guess my question here is should I be concerned about using any of these hosts with my current linux experience and ability to follow a decent guide?

Sorry for the length and number of questions, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've used Linode, KnownHost and 6sync and all three are top-notch providers so I wouldn't be hung up on the reliability or longevity of their businesses.

I think this will come down to whether you'll need managed or unmanaged service. KnowHost is managed. Linode and 6sync are not. If you get a control panel with KnownHost, they will help you do most of everything you'll need to do with your server including security. However, it's important to point out that proactive support is not really provided.

Since this is for a business website, KnownHost is probably a good start just so you get a feel for how things work on a VPS with hand-holding.

Since you're new to the VPS environment I would suggest you go with a managed provider as well.
    Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS
    True Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation | BGP Optimized by Noction Intelligent Routing | Asia-Pacific Low Latency Routes
    6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

Yep, go for a managed service if you're not to familiar with VPS servers, just to prevent any issues. BuyVM are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JayG30 View Post
    Hello,

I need to find a host for a business website. I do not currently have any idea of bandwidth usage or anything as this is a brand new site for a brand new company. I was looking at a VPS because, although a shared hosting solution might suffice for now, I feel like it will offer more flexibility once we figure out what we will need or our needs start to change making it easier for us to grow without jumping from host to host (making the choice even more important to me). Maybe I'm wrong (and if I am please say so) but I feel like a shared solution wouldn't be right.

I was looking at Linode, KnownHost, and 6sync because of positive reviews. I also was looking at BuyVM because their pricing seems so good, but I think the reliability might be a step behind the others so I'm not sure. I'm trying to compare features (pro/cons) between them and was hoping someone could help. Basically what does one have that the other might not (I think I'm missing some things in my comparison). Differences in # of IP addresses, backups, panels, visualization approach, server hardware, etc? A few questions I have already on my mind is:
    • Why does KnownHost offer more bandwidth on their $35 plan (2,000 GB) then any of Linode's plans? How does that make any sense?
    • When KnownHost says "managed VPS" what type of "management" am I getting with that?
    • What type of reliability, uptime, customer support would I get with BuyVM and is it fair to compare them with the other providers here?
    • How big of a deal is Linode having datacenter is 6 different regions (one being in NJ where I'm from)? Should I be concerned that KnownHost only has datacenters in TX/CA?
    • How does 6sync's "biscuit" compare to the others offerings? Would it be wrong to say that 6sync might be to "new" to go with when you are concerned about longevity and a host that you can stick with for a long time? (sorry to say, but it is something on my mind)

I'm very new to all of this. My background is Computer Engineering. I have programming (java, c++, perl, python, etc.) and linux experience, but I do not have any experience with website design/programming/administration/etc except some practice I've done setting up my own home web server following slicehost guides a while back. I know how to setup firewall stuff, dns, install necessary software and for the most part configure it. I'm not sure if my experience will be sufficient to really set everything up without a control panel. It's hard to know this when you've never been formally trained and don't really know anyone who does know this stuff and basically you are going off of what guides are telling you is correct. So I guess my question here is should I be concerned about using any of these hosts with my current linux experience and ability to follow a decent guide?

Sorry for the length and number of questions, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Most of these are questions you should be asking your provider.

When choosing a location you must know where your targeted visitors are from, not where you are located.

Contact each provider and ask them what is provided in their Managed Services. Then you can compare.

- Daniel

Maybe I'm wrong (and if I am please say so) but I feel like a shared solution wouldn't be right.
    Are you a trained and experienced systems administrator, looking to spend your time managing the "server" rather than running the business/website ?

If not, then VPS is probably the wrong choice.

Are you able to accurately calculate the ram/cpu requirements of a webserver, control panel, the website and backend DB's ?

It does sound like a properly managed, non-oversold shared host would better match your requirements.

because their pricing seems so good
    There's usually a reason for cheap ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

+1 for knownhost..
    their staffs have been great in helping
    Looking for shared or reseller or VPS Hosting ?
    Try our service at https://www.sosys.net!
    Singapore - Indonesia - Malaysia

What type of reliability, uptime, customer support would I get with BuyVM and is it fair to compare them with the other providers here?
    We are unmanaged but our community support is pretty awesome You can usually stop by and get some ideas from us on how best to do something, or even full on help setting whatever up.

As for the others, ever since we got out of Fremont our uptime has been just fine (most nodes were breaking 100+ days uptime which is good considering we moved them over to San Jose in July).

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Are you a trained and experienced systems administrator, looking to spend your time managing the "server" rather than running the business/website ?

+10000000000000
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.

Hello,

Ok, like a couple of others here, I think you're probably wrong. Moving a website between hosts is easy; managing a VPS is not (and even managed VPS plans usually don't include the kind of proactive management that comes as standard on shared plans). If you don't know why you need a VPS, you don't need a VPS. Get a quality, "business class" shared hosting package to start with and move to VPS if / when you have a real need.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    I am not "trained and experienced" in "system administration", I think I've made clear my educational background. My time is spent doing many things I don't wish to do, but I do them anyway. My business responsibilities are pretty vast (no I do not run the business though), but I don't see any real issue in finding time to manage the server, it wouldn't be the first server I've managed, just the first "web" server which I'm sure has its own idiosyncrasies.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    When choosing a location you must know where your targeted visitors are from, not where you are located.
    That is what I assumed, but some comments I had read made me scratch my head and think I might be wrong. Trying to determine a location of a target audience would be useless in this case as we do business worldwide (Germany, UK, Brazil, Korea, and throughout the US just off the top of my head).
    Last edited by JayG30; 11-09-2011 at 12:36 AM.

What control panel are looking to get cpanel or plesk

Quote Originally Posted by RaidLogic View Post
    What control panel are looking to get cpanel or plesk
    I've played with cpanel a bit, not so much plesk. Given those two choices I guess I'd go with cpanel. But honestly, other then email, I preferred doing everything through ssh.

Why do you ask? Are those my only choices?

There's also kloxo and vhcs, both ard free

Fully managed VPS with KnownHost is the way to go. You'll get full hand holding as you would in a shared environment and their ticket replies will show you how they did what they did, so you can learn if you want to.

6sync and Linode are great.. If you know at least something to move around. I have to recommend 6sync bc they use KVM which is getting better and better (+ it's in Linus code ;-) ).. They are on perfect location making them one of best US locations when it comes to latency from Europe (I get ~110ms).. and they are great guys which means great support too..

Would I be correct in saying that KnownHost requires that I purchase a control panel from them to supply any management? You can't install your own (free) and get management correct?

Would I be correct in saying that KnownHost requires that I purchase a control panel from them to supply any management? You can't install your own (free) and get management correct?
    That's correct....but considering CPanel is only $5 (I think), is it worth wasting your time with anything else?

Yes, but considering I'm not managing customer accounts or anything, just running a website (maybe 2), is CPanel and it's overhead really necessary? I see they do offer webmin for free, I assume with support since it says "We support all VPS packages with a control panel".

Yes, but considering I'm not managing customer accounts or anything, just running a website (maybe 2), is CPanel and it's overhead really necessary? I see they do offer webmin for free, I assume with support since it says "We support all VPS packages with a control panel".
    When you've got Cpanel you've always got an easy migration path if you ever want to move your site again.
    Is it really worth stepping outside of the mainstream for 5 bucks?

Check with KnownHost - they'll talk it through with you and they've got their ear to the ground to the best of my knowledge.