Laptop Keyboard works Intermittently

I am working on a Acer 3300 laptop that has a very frustrating issue.

Sometimes the keyboard will work....sometimes it wont. And it's not just the keyboard. It will prevent the power button from turning off the computer. Normally if the power button is held down after so many seconds the computer will power down....not with this. To get it to power down you have to unplug the A/C adapter and remove the battery.

Has anyone ever seen this before? thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks.

It is probably an internal issue with your laptop. Do you have warranty on your laptop? Try contacting Acer support and see what they'll tell you to do.
    Rageki Web Hosting Solutions - Canada & United States Web Hosting
    DirectAdmin & cPanel Control Panels
    99% Uptime!
    30 Day Money Back Guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rageki-John View Post
    It is probably an internal issue with your laptop. Do you have warranty on your laptop? Try contacting Acer support and see what they'll tell you to do.
    If it were under warranty or if that were an option I would have already done that.

A little more information on this issue.

I re-installed Windows XP and all went fine and dandy until it came to the part where I had to enter a name for the user profile. Guess what??? Keyboard doesn't work.

I tried to push down and hold the power button which is supposed to turn it off....gues what??? It didn't.

The only way to turn it off was to unplug the A/C adapter and then remove the battery.

The power button will turn it on but once it boots into windows ( I can use the F2 key to enter the bios) the keybard and power buttons and all buttons CEASE WORKING. :-(

So I got a ps2/usb converter and plugged in a ps2 keyboard via the converter and it works perfectly, EXCEPT for the power button doesn't work to turn it off.

Something is obviously not working right and I have no clue as to where to look next.

Anyone have any ideas...other than "contact Acer" or something along that line?

It sounds like some sort of driver issue. Does your keyboard have some sort of odd driver? Try reinstalling that...
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

On most notebooks the keyboard connects to the mainboard via a ribbon cable. If that cable works loose it can cause the problems you describe.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by OpenReaction View Post
    It sounds like some sort of driver issue. Does your keyboard have some sort of odd driver? Try reinstalling that...
    I never knew that drivers interfered with the Power Button as well
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Acer

Acer keyboard and screens die, i had to replace mine 3 time before saying screw it im getting a macbook lol... just take it in they will fix it
    Cheap hosting, not cheap service:
    http://www.aqns-hosting.com