Recommendations for a Canadian Webhosting Service?

Hi everyone,

Hoping you can provide me with some general advice...

I'm looking for a Canadian webhosting company to setup a dedicated server for a medium/large sized website.

I'm not interested in bargain basement companies. I'm looking for a company that offers quality support.

I'm wondering what peoples' experience is with Canadian webhosting services, and if anyone has any general recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Travis

Hello,

There is a provider in Canada which is providing Desktop servers : netelligent.ca. I have heard goods from there.

The another provider which I know, is IWeb.Com

I just recommended two data centers which I knew them, maybe there are another better provider too.

Best regards.

Hi,

Used to have a p3 dedi at www.hostmds.com. Didn't had a single downtime and the network speed also good.

Thanks,
    Samira

Quote Originally Posted by TravisB View Post
    I'm looking for a Canadian webhosting company to setup a dedicated server for a medium/large sized website.

I'm not interested in bargain basement companies. I'm looking for a company that offers quality support.
    Hi Travis, what location are you looking for (Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal), or where is your primary target market? What are your hardware and software requirements like? Do you need KVM over IP? What's your ballpark budget, and are you looking for managed or unmanaged?

If you could answer some of these questions, perhaps we can narrow down recommendations for a provider that fits you best.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Perhaps try netelligent.ca or iweb.com.

i highly recommend netelligent.ca for Canadian hosts, contact Maxime M. Boutin there, you will get an impressive discount from him.
    besides all their servers comes with managed service at no extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by hhw View Post
    Hi Travis, what location are you looking for (Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal), or where is your primary target market? What are your hardware and software requirements like? Do you need KVM over IP? What's your ballpark budget, and are you looking for managed or unmanaged?

If you could answer some of these questions, perhaps we can narrow down recommendations for a provider that fits you best.
    Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated.

Here are some more specifics... Ideally the server can be located in Victoria / Vancouver, though we're not opposed to other cities if it's a great company. The website usually pushes about 200GB of data a month.

We're going to need to migrate the server from its existing location, so I would like to find a hosting company that can ensure the migration is done properly, and that can help out with every step of the process.

I'm also only interested in managed solutions. For me support is the most important factor. We're looking for a company that can care for the ongoing health of the server and that has support that can help with any level of customization. This is important for us, as we dont have our own in-house server experts.

Thanks,

Travis

Hi Travis, I'd recommend against hosting in Victoria simply because the traffic has to be backhauled to Vancouver one way or another, resulting in significantly higher bandwidth costs and additional points of failure.

For a fully managed provider in Vancouver, I'd recommend PacketSafe. I've worked with them on various projects and their sysadmins are top notch. Fusepoint is probably the biggest name here in managed hosting, but I've never dealt with them, so I don't have any opinion to give on them one way or another.

You could also go with an unmanaged dedicated provider, and use the fine gentlemen at xmihosting.com to manage your server. They don't advertise it on their site, but server management is one of their main focuses. Great guys who do a great job.
    ASTUTE INTERNET: Advanced, customized, and scalable solutions with AS54527 Premium Performance and Canadian Optimized Network (Level3, Shaw, CogecoPeer1, GTT/Tinet),
    AS63213 Cost Effective High Performance Network (Cogent, HE, GTT/Tinet)
    Dedicated Hosting, Colo, Bandwidth, and Fiber out of Vancouver, Seattle, LA, Toronto, NYC, and Miami

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Travis

Hi, how did your search go so far?

Here's another company you can put into consideration: UBHosting.net

Good luck!
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Daniel15 and ServerFirma thanks for mentionning iweb.com

TravisB, if you need more information on our hosting products and services please send me your contact information and details on your hosting needs, we'll be happy to help you. <community @ iweb.com> (no spaces) or send DM on http://twitter.com/iweb/
    Sylvain Delisle
    Community Manager
    iWeb.com

I would definitely consider Carat Networks. They are run by some great guys who look out for their customers.

Have you looked at the Find A Host section in WHT? Many Canadian companies advertise there as well.