What strains a VPS?

hey guys, i am thinking about offering VPS services but i have no clue what to look out for that strains a VPS. i dont want to get into a situation where one site depletes the perfomance of an entire VPS (can that happen?). i am trying to offer space for websites that arent computer intensive. can you recommend an approach that i should take, and what to look out for?
    The blue sky must be forever high and forever clear and all men must be equal beneath it.

www.dimensionrift.com

1. Are you going to USE a VPS or to SELL VPS accounts?

2. Well yes, inside one VPS you can't balance the load between different tasks. That is, if some of your clients goes nuts and writes a silly endless-loop script - all the VPS will go down.
    First Amendment of a webhost: if you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

hi there!

1. i would like to USE the vps to offer shared hosting to my clients.

2. if VPS's are shared on servers, will a client of another VPS customer who is running a very heavy computer script, affect my VPS on the same server?

thanks
    The blue sky must be forever high and forever clear and all men must be equal beneath it.

www.dimensionrift.com

No. The VPS is an isolated environment with strictly allocated resources, so no matter who rocks the boat on other VPSs, yours is stable and running.

i agree with yaroslav, however when your clients are using pretty much the allocated resources your vps isn't running that smooth anymore.

when this happends you can think of getting a dedicated server or you might want to get another VPS, it all will depend on the budget you have now and when it's needed to think of switching or extra vps's

regards,

TWS

wow excellent! thanks guys! i am coming closer to setting up my VPS solution for my clients.

oops almost forgot.

what kinda scripts should i look out for when dealing with customers? do forums take up a lot of computing power? i am not trying to host heavy cpu intensive websites.

thanks and take care.

www.dimensionrift.com

Yes, heavily-dynamic sites that also use SQL databases (like PHPBB, INVBB forums, etc.) can be quite resource-consuming. Also some 'online stats' of whatever and may others - anything that is generated on the fly can strain your VPS.

However, the other matter is how busy the forum is If you have some 100 visitors per day, I think even the smallest VPS can easily handle it.

what kind of support you gonna do for your clients ?

for the scripts dealing with the clients it depends on more things:

billing related
    support related
    and also the budget as all software have their price either leased per month or when you buy it.

forums are usually average on cpu load, depends mainly on amount of activity on it etc. (personal opinion tho)

glad we can help you out

edit:

hehe yaroslav

we post almost everytime at same time
    Last edited by Arno|VDH; 02-27-2005 at 02:56 PM.

...and same things