Thread: GameServers

GameServers

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing a server but only to be used for hosting gameservers. I have a few questions before I do anything, and somethings that just need clearifications.

1) What's a suggested RAM for the server (1GB+?)
    2) What's a good processor to run?
    3) what's a suggest OS (windows 2003?)
    4) what's a suggested gameserver panel (TCadmin?)
    5) anyone who hosts gameservers do you find its a good market?
    6) do you supply them with webhosting aswell.
    7) a suggested company to rent out a server for these needs at.

And that's about it, if I get more.. I'll post them

Thank you.
    Royal Designs - Designing Unique Logos (*PM for a free quote)

1) Always always always, 1GB or more.
    2) P4+, Celerons and Semprons are useless. It all depends on how many servers you expect to run.
    3) It depends on what you're familiar with. Windows 2003 costs more but is also more user friendly for new users. Also certain control panels require specific operating systems.
    4) There are quite a few gameserver CPs. TCAdmin is definitely a good product but requires you to run a Windows OS.
    5)It's a tough market. Starting up a game server company is a lot of work, with little reward. You'll also find that your customer base is somewhat "immature"
    6) It's completely up to you. If you find that many of your clients need webhosting, then why not take advantage of your customer needs to make a few more bucks.
    7) Location is the first question here. West coast, midwest, east coast - there are different providers for each market.

Also, note that game server clients are the most demanding and if they're ping is 5ms extra, you'll either get a huge complaint or some refund request.
    VEXXHOST, Inc.
    Secure & Reliable Hosting Solutions for Developers & Enterprises
    High Performance OpenStack® Public Cloud | Cloud Servers | Web Hosting

1) Depends on how many users and type of game. But about 512MB - 1Gb per 32 users
    2) Anything quite new P4 to Dual Core Duo
    3) Linux, never ever use Windows for Game Servers, it increased the loading times of the games on users end by quite a large margine. Linux all the way
    4) TCadmin is quite good, but custom is always the best.
    5) It can be a good market, belongs your advertise well and have the correct equipment, the bandwidth connection is the most important (low pings)
    6) Depends if they require it, but yes
    7) Too many to list, also depeneds where as you will want the Server in the country where you are hopping to get the most customers from. (low pings)

ZXHostUK, How many game servers do you have running right now?

Quote Originally Posted by ZXHostUK
    3) Linux, never ever use Windows for Game Servers, it increased the loading times of the games on users end by quite a large margine. Linux all the way
    Been selling game servers for 3 years and never heard of that one before. You must been doing something wrong there or its a game I dont host.

1) We use 4GB in our machines so defo more than 512mb but does depend on the game. For example soldat only uses 1mb of ram
    2) Go for dual core, best bang for buck!
    3) Server 2003 all the way.. heck source was designed for Windows servers (thatll start an argueement but it is a true fact)
    4) TCadmin.. weve tried a few only to have lame support and a very buggy control panel. Started with TCAdmin as the beta team and it has been the best money I have ever spent.
    5) Yes, but some of the customers are some of the worst in the world.. Children using mummy and daddy's credit card with permission but treat you like complete crap. We went drinking with the INX-Gaming.co.uk team a few weeks ago and spent at least 5 hours complaining about customers.
    6) A free package which we find that only 5% use. The rest normally buy an upgrade as soon as they order.
    7) We always did colo so cant help you there

Like thegreat1 said, "Ive never heard that one before" haha ya windows actually makes better platform for running high end games like CSOURCE, BF2, COD2 ... But if you run stuff like Ventrilo, Teamspeak then of course use linux/unix platform.

You will need a minimum of 2GB of memory, 3.0ghz+ dual xeon preferably and a 10mbit connection with atleast 1500gb of bandwidth on a Mazima, Internap or Peer1 network.

Those specs will equal one hell of a game server!
    Remember do not overload your server.
    IE. If your only running counter strike 1.6 you might be able to get away with 64 - 80 slots of players. (FULL SERVER)
    Your money will be in Private Servers, Public servers are a quick money maker but will hurt your servers performance.
    Bobby Samai - Director of Marketing
    www.peakinternet.com 1.800.731.4871 Ext 4968 24/7 Support Center
    Out to change the way business is being done since 1992
    Colocation | Dedicated | VPS | Shared | Broadband | Fiber

my only response to this post is:

"good luck"
    GameWarrior.net - Bringing Gaming To The Next Level
    GamingMonkeys.com - Come Play Fun Flash Games !

Quote Originally Posted by VintageHost
    gameservers are emerging technologies and/or markets?

It's amusing to see all the big datacenters jumping all over each other to be first rushing their gaming divisions and CP's to market when just a few years ago if you were a game provider everyone looked down on you..

Funny how things change.

Count it as progress. It's not just Layered Tech and The Planet, either. Even Rackspace, which focuses on the managed hosting market, is now paying more attention to gaming.
    RichM
    Game Server Hosting Guide
    Premier Directory of Game Server Providers

It's not progress. Nobody told them they missed the market and they should know you cannot sell a product you don't fully understand.

1) What's a suggested RAM for the server (1GB+?)
    A. you will want at least 1gb, preferrably 2 depending on what you are using the machine for

2) What's a good processor to run?
    A. Dual Xeons/opterons are good and dual core is a very nice alternative

3) what's a suggest OS (windows 2003?)
    A. what you are comfortable with and what games you would like to host

4) what's a suggested gameserver panel (TCadmin?)
    A. Tcadmin is great

5) anyone who hosts gameservers do you find its a good market?
    A. like any market, if you know your product, support it well, and offer great service it will treat you well

6) do you supply them with webhosting aswell.
    A. generally yes, it is a nice perk to offer, same thing with ts/vent

7) a suggested company to rent out a server for these needs at.
    A. softlayer.com and steadfast.net

Note 1) If you are thinking of getting into this, get a decent unit (p4, amd64) and load up some games on it and see how it all works. Unfortunately it is not a simple plug and play operation and takes some real time and effort to run a successful business and a successful machine. If possible pair up with some clans and offer them a "service" and tell them they are a guinea pig for you, make no promises or guarantees to service quality and you should start to see real gamers problems

note 2) listen to Rich, the man knows a lot about games and taught me a few nice tricks long ago. Thanks again Rich

Note 3) gamers aren't as bad as you think. I have been running steady for about 2 years doing games on a relatively small base but the ones I have had have mostly been courteous and understand if there are issues. If they don't understand a 5ms ping difference then take a min to educate them.

Get an SC1435 from dell, they are cheaper than the 1950s but they got great performance and I would recommand 4GB RAM with win2k3 and definetly TCadmin (great support, great price, definetly worth its 16 bucks a month) anyways... good luck