Thread: Laptops..

Laptops..

Im shopping for a new laptop, has anyone recently purchased a newer laptop, right now im looking at the Dell D520 "Better" 14.1", and a Sharp Actius AL27 15", i just need something that can handle multiple applications and isnt too heavy so i can carry it around. With wireless capability.

Regards
    Run with it.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...rio&catLevel=1

Compaq released a notebook with the amd x2. Good price, low weight.... I've read the battery life was not that great.

If you are looking for power, I would look at a dual core (amd or intel) system, and at least 1 gb ram.

I've owned a compaq laptop for almost two years... good computers.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I just went through the same search. My main requirements were a light notebook (<5 lbs.), decent screen, good battery life and power. (I know, it's asking a lot.) I narrowed it down to the Intel Duo Core processor for the power. I ended up deciding between the Dell Latitude D620 (14.1" screen) and the Sony Vaio SZ230 (13.3" screen). Both had very good specs. I liked the Sony warranty better; Sony's support is in Florida and Dell's is overseas.

My Vaio (on sale at Circuit City for $1899 + $400 4-year onsite warranty with ADP):

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...UseBVCookie=No

The comparable Dell Latitude D620 was about $200 cheaper (everything included, tax, shipping, warranty, etc.) but just ended up being a hassle. I spoke to a few people at Dell and visited the Direct Store in our local mall, but I really wanted to hold the computer before buying. In my experience, notebook keyboards vary a lot. I like a keyboard that I can feel the keys actually push down. Since I couldn't feel the Dell (I have a D600 but the Dell rep said it's a new keyboard), I bought the Sony. I've been extremely happy so far (2 weeks). Sony's support is amazing. They know my phone number when I call and automatically direct me to the notebook tech support department (and, as I said, speak fluent English and are easy to work with).

I like the compaq, sony is just way to expensive and i douibt ill need support however that would be nice considering im in Florida.
    Run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaniX11
    I like the compaq, sony is just way to expensive and i douibt ill need support however that would be nice considering im in Florida.
    you can also go here: http://www.notebookforums.com/

If I were in the market for a notebook, that is where I would look first... it is the WHT of notebook forums... lol

Oh, I forgot, make sure you try to get something with a nice graphic card... vista will be released sometime next year...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I really like the Vaio. If you are looking for a good deal at a lower price, try ibuypower.com. I've never bought a laptop from them, but I have bought 2 computers from them and have been very happy.

Got a GQ off of frys(outpost.com).
    Very nice system, pretty cheap aswell.

-Jarrett

I am currently using an IBM T40, but I've tried the newer T series and they are really solid machines. To be honest tho, in my opinion the best laptop on the market is the MacBook Pro

if you want a laptop that is able to run numerous programs at the same time, you basically just lookign for any laptop with a dual core processor.

I have Gateway8510gz They are good and cheaper.
    Try www.gateway.com . I would suggest go for a small screen laptop, the battery life then is extended . 512mb ddr2 atleast. 100gb minimun and a good dvd writer, bluetooth inbuilt, centrino, usb2.

I have a custom setup HP ZD8000 and I love it.

The best part about hp for me is their support. I lost a hard drive and got a short in a power cord and both times hp shipped me the part next day air and in the case of the hdd they even paid for it to show up on Saturday since I was in a bind. Both cases all they needed was my s/n and address. The rest was taken care of. Never at dell or any other main hardware company have they taken such good care of me.
    Last edited by ATLDedicated; 07-11-2006 at 10:17 AM.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

Quote Originally Posted by OpenReaction
    I have a custom setup HP ZD8000 and I love it.

The best part about hp for me is there support. I lost a hard drive and got a short in a power cord and both times hp shipped me the part next day air and in the case of the hdd they even paid for it to show up on Saturday since I was in a bind. Both cases all they needed was my s/n and address. The rest was taken care of. Never at dell or any other main hardware company have they taken such good care of me.
    Hey thats amazing. Good you got your new hard disk.

It really is.

I can also say that the printers I have bought from hp over the years have held up quite well and for their grade (I worked for a major printing company for a while) they are decently priced and pretty decent as far as ink usage.

As hp stands right now they have my business for consumer level hardware.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

I like the ibuypower systems, i think they have the best solution for me..
    Run with it.