Do I NEED cPanel?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a Linux VPS from DME Hosting. Mostly just for web development (Apache, PHP) and possibly an IRC server. Problem is, it's a whole $15 for a cPanel license.

Do I REALLY need cPanel? I'm completely proficient with SSH and such. I'm getting Debian 5 x64bit. So basically saying, this is my first VPS, do I need to get cPanel to keep things running smoothly?

Thanks

Well, DirectAdmin is a nice alternative too for much less than CPanel. But if your proficient with installing apache, mysql, php, etc then there is no reason you can't do it all with the command line. Webmin is a great free alternative to make it easier as well.

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Well, DirectAdmin is a nice alternative too for much less than CPanel. But if your proficient with installing apache, mysql, php, etc then there is no reason you can't do it all with the command line. Webmin is a great free alternative to make it easier as well.
    I would normally agree with the above about DirectAdmin, though after checking DME's website I noticed they charge $14.95/month for a DirectAdmin license too - crazy! - Most hosts can provide them much cheaper than this - mine charges $5/month.

They do offer Webmin for free though, so i'd be tempted to go with that personally if you thought you needed one.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

Eh, I'll try it without it now, and if I need it I'll upgrade to Webmin.

Thanks guys!

You should try Kloxo, is the most similar CP and its free as webmin, nice interface and more friendly than webmin

If you are not using your VPS for hosting, there's no need for you to have a control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Deroba View Post
    You should try Kloxo, is the most similar CP and its free as webmin, nice interface and more friendly than webmin
    The unresolved security holes are free too
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

Quote Originally Posted by e-Sensibility View Post
    The unresolved security holes are free too
    The community is working hard in recover the security hole...and also the reputation. Remember, the previous owner was the people who make the hosting world change and benefited to many now so called giant company before, contributed to the world. Which control panel can guarantee their product always free of security issue? can you?
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-ay View Post
    Which control panel can guarantee their product always free of security issue? can you?
    It's not about guaranteeing anything. It's about the fact that kloxo is insecure software with exploits apparently in the wild. The OP should know about this when deciding which control panels to consider.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

Why do you need Kloxo anyway.
    If you are providing Hosting for others, surely you have to go with Cpanel and DA
    If you are using the VPS to host your own sites, surely surely building everything on Debian will be more efficient than Kloxo.

Get cPanel. Its easier to manage everything.

I'm recommend you to use Virtualmin/Webmin as it's free. Very easy to setup and you can add/remove your modules/services easily.

I'd recommend Cpanel if you are just using the vps for hosting and don't want to be bother with dealing with php/apache and it's modules. Now, if you don't mind doing that, then you can opt out for Webmin or DirectAdmin. Stay away from Kloxo.
    Keith Mitchell,Dedicated & Virtual Server Engineer,Hosting.com
    Check out my Technical Blog - Keithdmitchell.com

If you are mostly just going to do what is in your OP then you don't need any panel (especially if you are proficient with SSH which you indicate you are). Don't see any need for a panel.

I can sense you don't really need cPanel, you can always install the trial cPanel to get your site setup then decide later whether you want to keep it.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

It appears you probably don't need cPanel, but if you wanted a Control Panel for a "security blanket" you could always get DirectAdmin. It's not as expensive as cPanel and does a lot of the same things without all the "Excess" services.
    Windows / Linux VPS
    Xen Virtualization
    RockVPS.com

If you are comfortable with SSH and understand how to install and configure applications on a Linux server then there is no real need for cpanel.

Cpanel is a great resource for people who need a Linux server and do not want to be bothered with configuration without simple click me type scripts.
    Larry Dougherty
    Hosting.com Server Engineer

There is no need for a control panel at all. Especially if you're just doing some development work.

Control panels actually restrict what you can do with your VPS or dedicated server. They make clustering nearly impossible as well. cPanel only has DNS clustering, which is dead simple without cPanel regardless. Skip paying them insanely high fees and don't use it. Besides they haven't really done much since making mail use maildir... back in what, version 9? It also includes a lot of extra bloat you don't need.

I would advise DirectAdmin on a VPS if you're thinking you want a panel to make things a bit easier.

Otherwise skip them all together and save the extra cash.

This is really one of those questions that you're best equipped to answer for yourself. Technically speaking, no you don't need a control panel to run a server. It really depends upon what you know and what you are willing to do. IE: If this is an environment where you're developing some projects and you're willing to learn, go for it. Do keep in mind that things can (an inevitably will) go wrong and you'll have to fix. As others have suggested, an alternative might be a cheaper (or free) option like DirectAdmin and or Webmin.

SSH is enough for the basic configure.
    FREE ISPmanager panel
    Advanced VPS hosting
    www.JoinVPS.com