Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Network appears to be down.

Well, I know it's down...

As my site is down too!

Just IM'ed Jose, he's already working on it.

Do you know what the problem is?

He didn't say I think he was a bit busy I'm guessing a Cogent network problem by the looks of things.

While I love their prices and performance, they are very bad about communicating what is going on during downtimes like these. There was a day similar to this a few months back (power issues), and they wouldn't really say what was going on.

I'm losing $$ every minute that we're down, and it's driving me nuts to not know when it'll be back up!

"...the network switch that we are currently on is down. They are currently upgrading some network equipment there and adjusting routing tables..."

Hello

I have a Dual Xeon with them - since April 2003 - and I do not remember a single episode where we have experienced extended downtime. They always assisted me when I needed; I believe they do not talk much because they work too hard. As Jose wrote me earlier tonight, he cannot solve and explain the problem at once. So let him solve it first.

It is a fact that the problems are solved and we have sometimes only a rough idea about what happened, after the event. I like to gather as much information as I can, about everything, so I really wish we could know more. But they'd been rock solid so far and problems if any were very rare.

I trust them enough to cross fingers and go with them during this hard moment.

Paula Ollie

Well you maybe very understanding...

But my clients aren't.

It's been more than 4 hours.

Anyone get any recent news from them? This downtime is rough on my nerves.

Servers down for 7 hours now... I heard from one of their support reps that Cogent cut their line and they had to get a backup line up?

Originally posted by FactoryNet1
    Servers down for 7 hours now... I heard from one of their support reps that Cogent cut their line and they had to get a backup line up?
    Physically cut? or turned off?

Aaron

Physically cut? or turned off?
    No idea.. all the rep said was they got cut by Cogent and they are negotiating with another provider to get another line in.

Originally posted by FactoryNet1
    No idea.. all the rep said was they got cut by Cogent and they are negotiating with another provider to get another line in.
    Ouch. At 11pm on a Friday. That's not good.

Originally posted by WII-Aaron
    Ouch. At 11pm on a Friday. That's not good.
    Agreed. This sucks BAD.

Something is definitely wrong if Cogent cuts you off....

All of this has to happen on a Friday Night!

Notice to our customers

I'm sure you have all been awaiting for an update on the situation, as I haven't been able to update a lot of people on it via IM or e-mail.

Unfortunately, we are going through a major crisis as Cogent has cut our connection without real warning. I've been on the phone non-stop all afternoon as you can imagine, thus why my Instant Messenger responses were few and far apart.

As it stands, Cogent says their decision to cut us off is irreversible. I'm sure the first question will be "Why were you cut off?" so I'll try to explain. Cogent's official reason for taking us down was 'continuous AUP violations'. During the six months we've been in business we gathered 25 abuse tickets which were all inmediately addressed, in most cases resulting in server termination. Other cases include problems such as msblast, f.sobig, and other Linux worms/hacks which roam the net and took advantage of unpatched servers. However, patching servers, or terminating illicit users was not sufficient for Cogent, and they decided to terminate our connection at around 4:30pm EST. Their policy is that regardless of action, the fact that the complaints arrived, that's reason enough for termination.

Having been good netizens and doing our part to keep our network clean we were totally shocked by this. I spent most of the afternoon trying to get Cogent to reconnect us to no avail.

As a result, we were forced to get another provider on board, and will be getting a new connection installed. The new provider will be HE.NET. Unfortunately this is nothing that can be done easily on such short notice, so our network won't be back up until tomorrow.

As a result, we will go through the painful process of re-assigning IPs. Please e-mail me at joseq@joseq.com your server 's root/Administrator password so that I can go in and re-assign the IP addresses tonight. That way the servers will be available as soon as our connectivity is re-established.

We apologize for the inconvenience and are terribly sorry for making our customers go through this, but we weren't given any warning, or much of a choice.

Our business will recover from this, and we will continue to take steps to improve our connectivity. I'm confident the service will be of a higher quality once the dust settles. I also appreciate all of your patience and understanding.

I will be online all throughout the night and try to answer all my e-mail, IMs and posts here.

JoseQ

Ouch, that sucks man. Sorry to hear it, If there is anything we can do to assist you just give me a yell.

that is really such a pain.

Dear Jose,

I believe you, and accept your explanation. Most unfortunately such things happen to those who make a living out of the network.

As mentioned by a fellow in a previous post, maybe my clients will not be so understanding as I am - for sure I am collecting a complaint-flood tonight, and this may grow worse tomorrow morning; yet I am still with you and am sure this nightmare will timely fade out.

Good luck in the ride!

Paula Ollie
    DNS-Secure.NET

For what its worth I have been with TMS since February/March 2003. We have several dual xeons with TMS. This is the only problem that has occurred that has taken the servers completely down for more then an hour or two. There were two other events that were caused by power failure and a UPS. TMS moved to a new datacenter and power has not been an issue since. The cogent network which has a bad rep for not being stable on the east to west coasts.. Has been extremely stable. For it being 1 link to TMS and never going down.. I give them props for being so stable for so long.

As TMS resolves these issues and persues HE.net bandwidth. I am with jose and juane. They are always around and give excellent support. Props to TMS for getting a quick replacement in such short notice. Lets hope for the best! kudos jose.

TMS have been great to us as a business there response times to support issues have been amazing.

Hopefully, TMS will come out better when all the dust settles. Just hope my customers understand too!

And I thought my day off sucked, good luck Jose

actually i see this as a great thing( sorry to those customers who are suffering from downtime). cogent is no match for he.net. if they can offer the same price after the switch (or slightly higher) i will be the first one to get a box there after they get reconnected.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast