* Do you think that Undocumented Immigrants should be legalized because they were

If a minor (undocumented) was brought in to the US by his parents. The minor grows up and graduates from college. Do you think they should be able to be legalized to stay in the US. Keeping in mind that immigration rules in 94 stops them from being sponsored by companies if they go back home and also they would not be able to come back to the US for 10 year period..

I heared there is a law some democrats are trying to pass called "Freedom Act", which will grant such unlegal immigrants green cards.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

No, they should be deported. Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse.
    Kerry Jones

I wonder who came up with the catch phrase "Undocumented Immigrant" and when it stopped being Illegal Immigrant? I've only heard that phrase being pushed around for maybe the last year or so.....

Originally posted by varg
    I wonder who came up with the catch phrase "Undocumented Immigrant" and when it stopped being Illegal Immigrant? I've only heard that phrase being pushed around for maybe the last year or so.....
    Who cares what the phrase is that is used to identify and reference such aliens; or do you just want to reinforce the fact that indeed they are here -- *drumroll* -- illegally? In fact, undocumented and illegal are the same, just as civil union and marriage are the same (technically that is; of course, your opinions may vary from a moral standpoint). Being undocumented effectively means you're here illegally.

Simple answer, NO. Why reward illegal immigrants? There are many people that properly go through all the needed steps to live in the US, it would be a slap in the face to all of them to just turn around and allow any/all illegals to stay.
    In your example the minor should have been caught when his/her parent(s) tried to put them in public school. The family when caught should be returned to their point of origin.
    Those that come here legally should be rewarded, not those that sneak in illegally.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

But they were bought here as minors... children and possibly babies..

should they be punished for something they did not do?

Originally posted by trau
    In your example the minor should have been caught when his/her parent(s) tried to put them in public school. The family when caught should be returned to their point of origion.
    Those that come here legally should be rewarded, not those that sneak in illegally.
    But you know that undocumented immigrants can even go to college... So you are basically saying its the government fault?

Peace,

I think they should be allowed to be legalized. They were brought here agianst their will as young children. They grew up here and the US is the only place they have called home.

Actaully its called the Dream Act.
    I keep track of what the Senate is up to.
    And it was introduced by Sen. Orin Hatch of Utah Republican.
    And this seems to have support from both the Democrats and the Republicans.

The reason it has support is because some of these kids do way better in school than your average american citizen teen.

Originally posted by E_man3
    I think they should be allowed to be legalized. They were brought here agianst their will as young children. They grew up here and the US is the only place they have called home.

The reason it has support is because some of these kids do way better in school than your average american citizen teen.
    I was brought here as an immigrant (legal and now i'm a citizen!) and it would be harsh to send the kid back to a country where they had next to no memories of. They can't speak the language, they can't read, they can't even successfully reenter society back in their country. Of course, I am descrbing the extreme cases and obviously every person is different.

If a person is valuable to society through college and what they do afterwards, why should we send back these people? It's like back...18th...17th? 19th? century where countries in Europe decides 'hey! we don't like these types of minorities in our countries! Let's send them away even though they could possibly build factories, invent things, and help this country become great!'

I would support it. But then again, each case is different and I'm not sure how I would feel about if it affected me. Yes, it comes down to how this law will affect me. I guess I'm just watching out for myself.
    remy

I fully agree E_man3, I believe they shouldn't be punished for their parents' actions . And I also can almost guarantee you that in some way you are connected to illegal aliens, the food you eat eveyday may have been cultivated by them, the house you live in may have been bilt by them. These are some minor examples of the things these people do for everyone else. If you watch the news during the war with Iraq they found an illegal US soldier in the front line, so theses are some things that would make you think how important illegal aliens are to the US, an to everyone of us living in the United States, what do you guys think would happen if all the illegal aliens didn't show up to work for one day? Can you imagine all the money the US will loose?
    Last edited by bullman; 05-09-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Originally posted by ANGELremy
    I was brought here as an immigrant (legal and now i'm a citizen!) and it would be harsh to send the kid back to a country where they had next to no memories of. They can't speak the language, they can't read, they can't even successfully reenter society back in their country. Of course, I am descrbing the extreme cases and obviously every person is different.

If a person is valuable to society through college and what they do afterwards, why should we send back these people? It's like back...18th...17th? 19th? century where countries in Europe decides 'hey! we don't like these types of minorities in our countries! Let's send them away even though they could possibly build factories, invent things, and help this country become great!'

I would support it. But then again, each case is different and I'm not sure how I would feel about if it affected me. Yes, it comes down to how this law will affect me. I guess I'm just watching out for myself.
    I must agree with this, leave the kid.

not at all. If a minority is willing to go to college he should be willing to learn our history and achieve his US Citizenship before attending a college. How on Earth is it that an illegal immigrant can go to college without realizing he isn't a citizen or have a visa to our country?
    Kerry Jones

Thumbs up

Originally posted by E_man3

Thanks for the correction (I actually heard it on Pacific (or i think 820) newsradio station)..

yes its called te Dream act , but what I heard it has the support of many democrats (not sure about republicans)..

either way, its something that no one can say no to..

Thanks again,
    Peace,

We were all immigrants at some point, except for those who are 100% American Indian (aka native american) so I think immigration rules should be relatively relaxed overal. At least to live and work, citizenship should be something that when you get it, you are truly proud.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by azizny
    But they were bought here as minors... children and possibly babies..

should they be punished for something they did not do?

But you know that undocumented immigrants can even go to college... So you are basically saying its the government fault?

Peace,
    Yes, the illegals should have been caught long before they went to college. The government needs to control the borders, it needs to keep illegals out. The government has no idea how many illegals are currently here or how many more enter every day. It has to be controlled.
    Should they be punished? No. If the system worked the way it's supposed to the parents should have been caught long before the child goes to college and the family sent back home.
    Last edited by trau; 05-09-2005 at 09:43 PM.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Originally posted by trau
    The government has no idea how many illegals are currently here or how many more enter every day.
    Uh... what basis do you have to say that the government has "no idea" how many illegal aliens are here or how many enter? That's a really ignorant thing to say, as there are entire departments devoted to this as you probably know. The government has a much better idea of how many illegal aliens are here than you do.

Originally posted by ANGELremy
    The important difference is you came here as a legal immigrant and became a citizen (same as my parents BTW). I'm all in favor of immigration. If they (the Gov) would control the borders to stop all the illegals they could allow more legal immigration and allow more temp work visa's. Illegal immigration is a major problem. The illegals are over worked and underpaid, they are often the victims of crimes they fear to report, etc. etc. Towns in the border areas are unfairly burdened by providing health care, education, and other services to the illegals.

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    not at all. If a minority is willing to go to college he should be willing to learn our history and achieve his US Citizenship before attending a college. How on Earth is it that an illegal immigrant can go to college without realizing he isn't a citizen or have a visa to our country?
    No one wants to be deported from USA. Are you an American citizen? Some people just don't have the privilige of living here or being born here. It's like technicalities(sp?). The kid could've been born and taken the minute he was stable enough to go on a plane to the US. Better yet, why don't the parents be on vacation in the US and have the kid here so he would have citizenship? Would you accept that? I think that was argued somewhere here.

Why do you think there ARE so many illegal immigrants here? Because they all want to be rebellious and break American law? How can one get a US citizenship if they were here illegally? That would return to the original question (almost), should illegal immigrants get citizenship?
    remy

illegal immigrants need to be kicked out of America simple as that. If they want to live in America they should do it the legal way. If they do not want to do it the legal way then they can get the heck out of America.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Uh... what basis do you have to say that the government has "no idea" how many illegal aliens are here or how many enter? That's a really ignorant thing to say, as there are entire departments devoted to this as you probably know. The government has a much better idea of how many illegal aliens are here than you do.
    Do you ever listen to the news, or read a newspaper? The Governments estimates for the number of illegals in the country varies widely. Try a google search on the number of illegal immigrants. The estimates vary by millions.
    Since they enter the country illegally there is no paper trail. They do not register at the border, no one knows for certain how many arrive and or where they go.
    To think that some magical government agency knows who these illegals are and where they are is really ignorant.

The government is fully aware of how much these immigrants contribute to the economy. If the government were serious about stoping illegal immigration and kicking them out, they would have built a huge fense across the border a long time ago. They have the resources to do so.