Driving question

Ok I am going on a very long drive 23 hours total of driving. I am breaking up the drive with breaks. Between 8 to 12 breaks depending where I can stop. I figure I will fill up when I get some what low on gas (can do 200 miles on a 6 gallon tank). The drive is 1,460 miles by the way.

So my question is how long should each break be? 200 miles is about 3 hour drive give or take on a few things (weather, roads, etc).
    I am back....

So your going on a joyride for 23 hours, you plan to drive for 3 hours and you plan to take a break for 20 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic
    So your going on a joyride for 23 hours, you plan to drive for 3 hours and you plan to take a break for 20 hours?

I am driving from Kalispell, Montana to Tucson, AZ whichis 1460 miles. I figure I will be driving 3 hours then take a break 3 hours then take a break, etc, etc. maybe more maybe less depending on if I am tired or not. Though I am wondering how long each break should be?
    I am back....

I lived in Kalispell for awhile back in the late 80s. Actually By Swan Lake. man that's nice country!

As for the times? Your best bet is to stretch your legs and relax until you're comfy to get back on the road. there are too many variables to try to guess how you'll feel.

Generally you can figure it'll take you 2 hours to get every hundred miles. Myself I would drive straight through a 23 hour drive. Stopping only for gas. But stopping at a rest area is probably a good idea too.

Just guess at 20 minutes for a rest and to stretch your legs. I think anything longer than that is going to put you in a spot where you'll start to get tired and not want to get back in and drive. But that's just how I would feel.

Goot luck on the trip and drive safe.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

That reminds me of my father. He wouldn't stop for nothing and I mean nothing. He had a cup and a bag of Doritoes. :|

That reminds me of my father. He wouldn't stop for nothing and I mean nothing. He had a cup and a bag of Doritoes. :|
    He used the car as the restroom?
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

I don't really want to go into detail about it but......he had a cup.

Kalispell and Swan Lake is a great area that is for sure, but it is time for me to leave!

Quote Originally Posted by fastnoc
    I lived in Kalispell for awhile back in the late 80s. Actually By Swan Lake. man that's nice country!

As for the times? Your best bet is to stretch your legs and relax until you're comfy to get back on the road. there are too many variables to try to guess how you'll feel.

Generally you can figure it'll take you 2 hours to get every hundred miles. Myself I would drive straight through a 23 hour drive. Stopping only for gas. But stopping at a rest area is probably a good idea too.

Just guess at 20 minutes for a rest and to stretch your legs. I think anything longer than that is going to put you in a spot where you'll start to get tired and not want to get back in and drive. But that's just how I would feel.

Goot luck on the trip and drive safe.
    I am back....

I couldnt do that... I would have to take a break plus a cup? That is just crazy!
    I am back....

When I drive I only stop to refule and get lunch wich I eat while driving.

one 15min stop per 12hr trip!

If your not use to driving long distance I dont reccomend doing that.

2-3hrs is a good time for most people if you feel tired 30min sleep on the side of the road makes a big diffrance.

Plenty of water to drink helps and try not to miss any meals food will give you energy.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I feel your pain

Quote Originally Posted by Torith
    Kalispell and Swan Lake is a great area that is for sure, but it is time for me to leave!
    Don't worry I understand.

I lived in Great Falls, Bozeman and Billings too. I know what you mean about being ready to leave MT.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Go till ya wanna stop. Second last trip I made was 8 hours away and we stopped twice for orange juice/bathroom.

I have regularly done a 2,000 mile drive (with family) with 2-3 nights on the road...so about 600-700 miles/day driving from 8am to 8pm.
    We usually need a pit stop 1/2 hour after eating then drive for another 2-3 hours with no stops. If we can, we'll get breakfast at the motel's free breakfast buffet or will grab McDonalds to eat in the car. We'll have a sit -down at a truck-stop or fast food joint and a larger meal in when we pull in for the night. Take snacks & a cooler so you can eat on the road.

Theres another thread very simular to this but i cant find it!
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

Plus if you are driving through Colorado right now - it can be a bit hectic.

We drove from Los Angeles to Denver and stopped once in / near Vegas (where I won $60) and then mainly just kept driving until we needed gas or sleep. It really depends on how tired you get, the driving conditions, and when you need to be there

I don't know if the US has little warning signs on long stretches of highway, but in Tasmania, they have them reminding you to take a break and that there were refreshments/amenities 5kms away. I used to welcome them so I could get out and move around

Quote Originally Posted by not-even-a-mouse
    I don't know if the US has little warning signs on long stretches of highway, but in Tasmania, they have them reminding you to take a break and that there were refreshments/amenities 5kms away. I used to welcome them so I could get out and move around

They have rest stops every 80 miles or more depending on location (in Montana from what I seen) not sure about other states. It will say "Rest area 80 miles ahead"

As well I am going to be going from Montana to Idaho, Idaho to Utah and Utah to Arizona. Stopping for gas 12 times to make sure I have enough gas at all times (hey better be safe then sorry). Though my real breaks are going to be when I am tired, but I figure one every 3 hours or so.
    I am back....

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    Plus if you are driving through Colorado right now - it can be a bit hectic.

We drove from Los Angeles to Denver and stopped once in / near Vegas (where I won $60) and then mainly just kept driving until we needed gas or sleep. It really depends on how tired you get, the driving conditions, and when you need to be there

Nope not going near colorado but I am getting very close to Las Vegas baby!
    I am back....