Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WHT Wall of Shame

Hello,

It seems like every day there are hosts who are caught ripping designs or using nulled billing scripts. It seems they never learn as others re-offend once caught.

It would be nice if WHMCS had a "Wall of Shame" for hosts who have
    • Ripped a Website Design
    • Using Nulled Scripts (WHMCS)
    • Spamming others to get customers
    • Pasting False Reviews

They should be listed on this for a pre-determined amount of time (120 days)
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by KDisk View Post
    Hello,

It seems like every day there are hosts who are caught ripping designs or using nulled billing scripts. It seems they never learn as others re-offend once caught.

• Pasting False Reviews

I think that's an excellent idea. Personally, I think maybe a little longer period of time might be better.
    █ Alex Bateman | abateman[at]fibervolt.com
    Virtual Private Servers | Fantastic Support | Worldwide Locations
    █ Reliable VPS Hosting | 99.9% Uptime | 24/7 Support
    www.fibervolt.com | Twitter : @fiber_volt
      0 Not allowed!

yea like a year!
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    yea like a year!
    Yeah, thats more like it!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleH View Post
    yea like a year!
    And anyone who PM Spams should be made a Sticky
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

And anyone who PM Spams should be made a Sticky
    Try not to give me any ideas haha.
      0 Not allowed!

It would be nice if WHMCS had a "Wall of Shame"
    You should ask them.

If not for our privacy policy, naming and shaming PM spammers would be interesting. But we can't, and aren't looking to hurt those that break our rules...just stop them from doing it. There have been a few rather prolific ones lately, brought to light by one or two reports at most...only to find quite a lot were sent. Spam is up, reports to get it to stop are down.
    Shame, that.

As for a separate forum for name and shame of rippers and warez licensing and so on, this is thankfully a smallish percentage of incidents overall, so no real need for a separate section for it, I feel. Don't let that stop you asking and discussing it, though. Change sometimes comes about from ideas like this. Have at it.

[PERSONAL OPINION]
    Having one for that purpose might cause the ripper to go after WHT/iNet as the source of the accusations, since the forum section could be seen as endorsing or even encouraging that type of post. Could make for interesting legal issues.
    [/PERSONAL OPINION]

anyone who PM Spams should be made a Sticky
    The member? eww..
    Your one stop shop for decentralization
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    You should ask them.
    Hint taken

The Ripped Template one is still a hot topic... Its rare but happens
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

Ripped a Website Design
    Some of the hosts accused of doing this merely have very similar-looking designs, so this one would have to be policed after setting up rules for what considers a rip. And once you have rules, people find ways to avoid them just narrowly enough.

Using Nulled Scripts (WHMCS)
    There are places in the world where this is not illegal. Furthermore, would the host be removed once they have purchased a legal version of WHMCS? Whose job will it be to maintain the list?

Spamming others to get customers
    If this includes signature spammers, I support it wholeheartedly!

Pasting False Reviews
    This can be next to impossible to prove. Some people are so happy about their host that they will make it sound like an ad. It's better to just remove such reviews, if not verification from the user is supplied. I believe this is the case already.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    [PERSONAL OPINION]
    Having one for that purpose might cause the ripper to go after WHT/iNet as the source of the accusations, since the forum section could be seen as endorsing or even encouraging that type of post. Could make for interesting legal issues.
    [/PERSONAL OPINION]
    Lemme just add a point behind this. There is a really really really huge hardware community known as anandtech. In there is a sales/trade/buy section, and from there they have pinned topics of users that scammed, who they scammed, a link to the thread that it happened and even full details on the person.

To date i've heard of no lawsuits and the sections are still up and strong.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony
      0 Not allowed!

I think it's a great idea!

Of course, people will just re-invent themselves and turn up under another name.....but they always get found out.

I reckon it would be a very popular section and bearing in mind how some people are "playing the system" here, it would visibly show that WHT take it seriously.

Let's be honest here....how many times have we seen "hosts" ignore their trainwreck threads while continuously posting offers and dragging more people in?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post

There are places in the world where this is not illegal. Furthermore, would the host be removed once they have purchased a legal version of WHMCS? Whose job will it be to maintain the list?
    Regardless of the Legalities, this is purely a matter of Ethics... Would you trust your domain to a company who blatantly steals from others with no remorse?

I was thinking of putting together a blog/list of these hosts byt thought WHT may be a better medium as it is a high traffic site
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

I think they would ignore this thread anyway.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Regardless of the Legalities, this is purely a matter of Ethics... Would you trust your domain to a company who blatantly steals from others with no remorse?
    It is indeed a matter of ethics. I wouldn't trust my domain to a company that wishes to name and shame others as if we're in the Middle Ages.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 8088 View Post
    It is indeed a matter of ethics. I wouldn't trust my domain to a company that wishes to name and shame others as if we're in the Middle Ages.
    I forgot to mention, it is not abnormal for "Nulled" scripts to have backdoors in them. So you can either pay for it the right way or pay for it by having your accounts terminated by the attacker
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

I think you quoted the wrong person.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

• Pasting False Reviews

Regarding the design side of things, I have actually seen an increasing number of designs actually being ripped by design firms rather than hosts themselfs... So in theory a host could end up on the wall of shame even though they didnt actually intend to cause any problems in the first place but rather bought a ripped design off a rouge designer... etc
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Regarding the design side of things, I have actually seen an increasing number of designs actually being ripped by design firms rather than hosts themselfs... So in theory a host could end up on the wall of shame even though they didnt actually intend to cause any problems in the first place but rather bought a ripped design off a rouge designer... etc
    There are of course exceptions. There are however some who know exactly what they are doing.
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

Yes but these hosts that claim they got screwed by their designers refuse to name names. I had a case of that happening with BuyVM and the mods asked the guy for details.

To this DAY he won't provide a link to where he got the design (meaning he ripped it intentionally). There was a case of this same thing with 'alberthost' just the other day.

Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    Yes but these hosts that claim they got screwed by their designers refuse to name names. I had a case of that happening with BuyVM and the mods asked the guy for details.

To this DAY he won't provide a link to where he got the design (meaning he ripped it intentionally). There was a case of this same thing with 'alberthost' just the other day.

Francisco
    Speaking of alberthost, he is currently copying hawkhosts wording "Every Customer Matters
    Every customer is treated equally, regardless of their account. We do this to make sure everyone gets the same quality support and services from us. Not everyone can debug a PHP script, or iron out a mod_rewrite rule. We try our best to provide a helping hand to everyone."

Right on the front page. I believe the new template is ripped also but I will stop there.

Really its easy to tell from the ones that say they bought the template from someone and actually did and the ones that didn't because they never provide a designer link. So that will be no issue for a WHT Wall of Shame thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    Really its easy to tell from the ones that say they bought the template from someone and actually did and the ones that didn't because they never provide a designer link.
    This implies 'guilty until proven innocent.'
      0 Not allowed!

but rather bought a ripped design off a rouge designer... etc
    Or even worse....a rogue designer!
      0 Not allowed!

Not a bad idea, would be a great place for customers to check before doing business with a company maybe. However, the major problem that comes up every time something like this is brought up:

How do we know this is genuine, who says what is real or not?
    In the case of templates, many developers sell the templates multiple times. Sooooo, is it the customer's fault? Can you prove that XXX product is genuine, or that they're not a genuine customer? What is a 'spammer'? Yeah, to many of us those very questions are obvious (duuuh), but believe it or not, the same logic doesn't apply to everyone. For example:

If you post an ad in any forum here, saying "I need someone to look at my server, can you recommend people", you're asking people to contact you. Is it spam to PM you? Debatable. Some say yes, some say no.

If you post a one line generic response containing signatures leading to related websites to questions like:
    What is wrong with my server <insertconditionshere>
    Are you a spammer? To me, yes, but to the admins here, no.. See, there's a fine, fine line here.
      0 Not allowed!

I never read this thread, apologies if it's already been mentioned... but no need for a wall of shame. When providers are caught doing something stupid, the community unleashes and the thread often gets ranked high on Google which harms them and their business.

Then there's people like me who hold grudges and if I feel that a provider has *seriously* harmed the trust of the community, whether it's scamming people or disappearing in the middle of the night leaving clients high and dry... I make sure people are reminded of what happened when those jerk-offs return years down the road.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

• Pasting False Reviews

I do not agree with this. WHT is a community where members can post about their experiences freely. I don't believe it is necessary for WHT itself to create a wall of shame. The bad people get banned and that's the important thing.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast