Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can you microwave styrofoam cups or plates?

My entire life I have always been heating tea and coffee in styrofoam cups in the microwave for 2 minutes and never had a problem. But then last week I had some left over food on a styrofoam plate which I heated for 2 minutes and the styrofoam melted completely and burned up.

This is when a lightbulb when off in my chicken head... that perhaps styrofoam is not suposed to be put into a microwave? I cannot believe I didn't know this until now!

But I thought you could put those styrofoam cups you buy at the grocery store into the microwave... those cups have NEVER melted.. but the styrofoam plate I got from the restaurant melted almost instantly in the microwave. That makes no sense.

Are some styrofoam cups/plates micowavable and others are not?

Well on my styrofoam plates now, it says "Not recommended for microwave, might melt or ignite."

I think it would depend from products, but most likely styrofoam isn't good for microwave. However, Plastic cups and plates are. Although probably not all.

I microwave cup noodles, I think that's somewhat styrofoam
    semi-retired

The noodle cups I buy say to boil the water, and then pour it in the cup, and wait like 3 minutes, and says Microwave not recommended, so I suppose it depends from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I see, yes I think that maybe some styrofoam can handle it but some cannot. Because I have always microwaved water in those styrofoam cups from the grocery store and never had a problem.

But when I microwaved the styrofoam plate from the restaurant it instantly melted and ruined my lunch!

When I told this to my friend she ridiculed me saying that I am incorrect and that NO styrofoam cups or plates can be microwaved.

But if that's so... how come those noodle cup soups are indeed styrofoam! On the noodle cups I have seen they all say to microwave for 2 minutes...
    Last edited by Frosty; 06-30-2007 at 07:46 PM.

What I've read from searching is that you can microwave styrofoam, as long as the food doesn't get hot enough to melt the styrofoam, but microwave heat itself shouldn't melt it. I think that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    ... how come those noodle cup soups are indeed styrofoam! On the noodle cups I have seen they all say to microwave for 2 minutes...
    There's different densities of styrofoam. Some can take more heat than others.

The plate from the restaurant probably had food with grease on it? That's gonna get a little hotter in the microwave.

To be safe, don't use styrofoam in the microwave.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Yes the food from the restuarant was a cheese dip for nachos... lots of grease which got VERY hot after just 1 minute

From now on I just won't use styrofoam though as I'd rather not have any styrofoam checmicals melting into my food if you know what I mean.

But shoot, this means that I will have to use plastic or glass from now on which means I cannot throw the cup away after using it and now I will have to wash it between each use. What a terrible thing. Can you believe that?

This is why I liked using those disposable styrofoam cups =)

Im going to try this and get back to you.

I wouldn't recommend it. Check out:

http://sneakykitchen.com/Ten_command...ave_safety.htm
    WebHostingReviews.com (Established 1999)
    Web Hosting Customers: Happy or unhappy with your host? Let others know on our web site.
    Web Hosting Companies: Drive traffic to your site by getting listed in ours.

mtgm,

Yes, that's what I've been reading on google as well that even if the styrofoam doesn't melt those checmicals still get into your food. I'm ditching the styrofoam/plastics for microwaves... that includes microwavable plastic containers. I've melted those too before!

I'll just use ceramic plates and cups from now on =)

Never microwave any type of meal in a non-ceramic plate - even the ones that come frozen in plastic containers. Knock them out and into a microwave-safe plate. The plastic containers when heated melt and emit cancerous substances.

Yes, I shall use ceramic cups/plates from now on. I've never really cared for the micorwavable plastic containers... even the re-usable ones =)

I've never had issues with styrofoam in the microwave, however I remember when I forgot to remove the rest of the tinfoil from something I was cooking and I literally saw electricity shooting through the microwave, not good.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Every time I've tried they have shriveled up like a prune.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    My entire life I have always been heating tea and coffee in styrofoam cups in the microwave for 2 minutes and never had a not?
    Ms juilet, i don't recommend heating styrofoam cup in microwave. I am sure you will get additional chemical in your drink. Definitely harmful. Better don't do that in future, for health sake.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

The styrofoam cups you use are probably designed to handle a lot of heat and the plates are generally for snacks / light food. This is why you can usually microwave the cups
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

Even better don't microwave your food.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

thick dixie paper plates are so strong you can heat your then store the next meal and heat it too

Blue th paper is much more environmentally friendly than the foam, at least it CAN be quite easily recycled.

The reason why I liked styrofoam so much was because it's easy clean up and disposable. But I won't use that anymore in the microwave.

At least I still have my tinfoil!

I love using tinfoil in the oven. I bake cookies on it, vegetables e.t.c. I just slop everything onto a sheet of tinfoil and slam it into the oven. When done I scrape everything onto my dinner plate and toss tinfoil away. No clean up! =)

Just don't put tinfoil (aluminum) in the microwave

I know I'm blonde but not that "blonde"

Like you know what I'm like totally trying to say... like what were you saying again? Like oh my gawd. What's a microwave for again?

be careful with the microwave, lots of plates and stuff that are not even labeled should not go in the microwave. they shatter and stuff :-D don't want to be taking a plate out with some food on it, then the plate just shatters (this happens)

My last job was a Purchasing Manager for a printing company. I worked a LOT with plastics and styrofoams and such (we printed some really kick butt stuff) so let me tell you what I learned, and why I will NEVER reheat anything in the microwave that isn't ceramic or glass.

Both plastics and styrofoams are made from HIGHLY TOXIC materials. I was told by my distributor (because I got curious and asked, once I went to a plant and saw plastics being made into sheets) that reheating anything in the microwave, regardless of whether or not it says it's safe is a no-no! There are toxins that come out when re-introduced to heat that will get on your food, or better yet, stick to the inside of your microwave and last possibly forever, infecting any food items you put in there. Generally not a health risk, but heck, why would you even RISK that?

That's my 2 cents.

Mice dont microwave well either. We had moved into an older house that we were going to renovate, we had one of those dial type microwave. My wife was making a sandwich and turned around to the mic to heat it, and there was a large field mouse on the counter. She tries to chase it way but it runs into the microwave. So she closes it to trap the mouse and ran to get me.... except the dial was turned on.

We bought a new microwave..lol. On the other hand, if you want to see something cool. Microwave a cd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast