All Forum Posting Service Website Owners, Please Help!

I'm planning on setting up my own forum posting service website

Do you use a free host? if so which one?
    Any tips you think i should know or use? I've never created a website before so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you are talking about a simple HTML site that advertises forum posting services, then you could host in nearly any low cost shared hosting plan.

If you are planning to run some complex, resource heavy software on the server side to handle the remote postings, then you will need to consider a VPS or dedicated server instead of low cost shared hosting.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by swood View Post
    I'm planning on setting up my own forum posting service website

Do you use a free host? if so which one?
    Any tips you think i should know or use? I've never created a website before so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    If you are interested in a free host, I would recommend checking out WHT's sister site - http://www.freewebhostingtalk.com/. However, I recommend using a paid provider such as HostGator if you are interested in reliability. Not all free hosts are reliable. As far as tips, I would recommend using MyBB or PHPBB as your forum script.

A shared plan is all you need since you're just starting up, scale up as you need more resources.

I would recommend you get a shared hosting account. You can find cheap hosting providers all over this forum. If your just going to be using basic html pages and such a shared hosting provider would be perfect. If you go with one that offers cPanel, you can setup phpbb with the click of a button. Also try to stay away from hosts that offer "Unlimited disk space and transfer" as it's far from unlimited.

Check out the offers section here on WHT, there are a bunch of shared hosting providers there that would work for you.

Good luck!
    Carolina-Host - The final stop for ALL your web site needs!
    US & EU Datacenters | 100% Money back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime | Weekly Site Backups
    cPanel w/ Softaculous | Webalizer/Awstats | Site.Pro Website Builder | Lite Speed
    Poarch & Associates - Accounting, Tax Preparation, & Payroll Services since 1985

I don't have enough money to purchase a paid host atm unfortunately. I just want to be able to create a site that allows me to show customers the types of posting packages they can purchase and have them purchase those packages. I may think of including a forum with it at a later date. But for now i just want to make a small easy straight to the point posting service site.

p.s. i have my own domain

I don't have enough money to purchase a paid host atm unfortunately. I just want to be able to create a site that allows me to show customers the types of posting packages they can purchase and have them purchase those packages. I may think of including a forum with it at a later date. But for now i just want to make a small easy straight to the point posting service site.

You don't have to have a large sum of money to get a good web host. You can get good quality hosting for around $5.00 a month from most web hosting providers. In the long run I suggest you get a paid hosting provider. The service and server speed will make a HUGE difference.

However if you really want a free web host try WHT's sister site. http://www.freewebhostingtalk.com You will find free web hosts and such there. The only problem with a free web host, is you never know what kind of service to expect from them. Remember, Cheaper isn't always better.
    US & EU Datacenters | 100% Money back Guarantee | 99.9% Uptime | Weekly Site Backups
    cPanel w/ Softaculous | Webalizer/Awstats | Site.Pro Website Builder | Lite Speed
    Poarch & Associates - Accounting, Tax Preparation, & Payroll Services since 1985

I don't really understand what you are trying to do, however, I do not recommend going with a free host. You usually are not allowed your own domain, have very limited bandwidth/storage, often have forced advertising, poor support, and there may be a large risk of losing your data. There are very cheap options out there, and although quality may not be amazing, it is possible to get an acceptable small account for around $2 per month. I currently have a small website with d2hosting.com for that price, and although it's nothing great, it is good enough for its needs.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I don't have any experience with any modern free web hosts... However, I concur with the others here who have recommended a simple shared hosting account.

PHPBB will work fine and most shared web hosts make installing it really easy with Fantastico or something.
    Site5 Rebate Claim Form | Save Big on Reliable Shared and Reseller Web Hosting
    Hover Coupon | Affordable Domain Names and Personalized, Surname Email for Less

If you want people to be able to purchase something from you online you need a secure site with SLL and you won't get that from free hosting. Additionally, if you want to come off as reputable...especially when trying to sell a service...you should always go for paid hosting.

Any shared hosting plan would suit the requirements you stated and wouldn't cost around a couple of dollars a month. If you don't see that as an investment worth making then you're product/service is not valuable enough to you...as such why should others see it as of any value to them?
    SR Web Studio
    Shared & Reseller Web Hosting - Web Design - Complete Solutions
    cPanel - Fantastico De Luxe - Instant Setup - 99.9% Uptime

sales@srwebstudio.com | (412) 945-0130

How are you going to be handling transactions, PayPal? If you are planning to sell stuff, you are better off seeing if any provider will sponser you rather than going with a free host.

Quote Originally Posted by GCM View Post
    How are you going to be handling transactions, PayPal? If you are planning to sell stuff, you are better off seeing if any provider will sponser you rather than going with a free host.
    Thats what I was just thinking too. Because if you get a host to sponsor you rather than just getting free hosting. You will get better services and server speeds. All you would probably be required to do is in exchange for the hosting, have a link at the bottom of your website or something like that. If your not willing/able to pay this would be your next best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeptHosts View Post
    Thats what I was just thinking too. Because if you get a host to sponsor you rather than just getting free hosting. You will get better services and server speeds. All you would probably be required to do is in exchange for the hosting, have a link at the bottom of your website or something like that. If your not willing/able to pay this would be your next best choice.
    That's a good idea. Now i've just got to try and find a hosting company that will allow me free paid service in return for a link or banner on my site

That's a good idea. Now i've just got to try and find a hosting company that will allow me free paid service in return for a link or banner on my site
    It shouldn't be to hard to find someone to sponsor you. Good luck

You do realize you don't need top of the line $15/mo when you're just starting out, right?

There are budget no frills web hosts starting at $10 per year, that's about the same cost as a domain.