DDOS protection for a dedi

Greetings.

I am wondering how I would go abouts getting ddos protection for my dedicated server, (linux).

I have contacted my host and they do not supply/have ddos protection available for me.

I know about servers, I know the impacts and how to ddos, therefore I want to have some protection against ddos, how can I?

What level protection are you wanting? A larger DDoS you will need to look at providers that provide proxy filtering services.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Quote Originally Posted by eth00 View Post
    What level protection are you wanting? A larger DDoS you will need to look at providers that provide proxy filtering services.
    Whether or not the protection is delivered by proxy does not have any direct relation to the size of the attack. Proxies are generally more effective at detecting and mitigating low and slow Layer 7 attacks which are usually quite small in terms of bandwidth. Proxies are also generally more expensive.

Larger attacks can be mitigated on the network (eg. at Layer 3) without the use of a proxy by any provider with sufficient DDoS mitigation capabilities.

I'm not sure of the level of size, I need a price, what level of protection would a good host need?

Decent DDoS protection costs cash, maybe if you tell us what server specs do you need we might be able to direct you to one provider.
    Best Regards / Melhores Cumprimentos,
    Bernardo Andrade
    Need a system Administrator?Contact me at email@bernardoa.pt
    Visit me at www.bernardoa.pt

You can start with mod_evasive for Apache. It is pretty decent against most (D)DOS attacks and it will probably stop most script kiddie attacks. But not if you're receiving 50TB/s on a 100 mbit line, then you're in trouble. The best solution would be to either get a hardware firewall with DDOS protection or host at a DDOS specialized hosting company.

But I would start with mod_evasive first, because as Bernardoo already said DDOS protection is expensive.
    file1.info :: 50GB secure cloudstorage with filemanager

Thanks guys, I've had this server for over a year, I defiantly don't want to move.

How expensive? How much you guys paying? I just need a figure.

I spoke with the DDOS Mitigation company Prolexic (http://www.prolexic.com) a while back and the cost was pretty significant:

approx $7000.00 / month for 10Mbps (95 percentile) clean traffic. $7500.00 setup

UNDER ATTACK NO CONTRACT: +$22,000.00.

This type of service would be required for any attack that saturates your available bandwidth (can't be mitigated by you alone).

There may be cheaper players out there but Prolexic is well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosshost View Post
    Thanks guys, I've had this server for over a year, I defiantly don't want to move.

How expensive? How much you guys paying? I just need a figure.

Oh wow, that's a lot. It may be worth getting though. Thanks.

Some attacks is almost impossible to mitigate - a week ago there was an attack - 150,060 computers (that were caught) were involved in the attack. I don't think that you'll find a vendor who will provide a hosting service to you for such large attacks. For smaller attacks probably starting $800 per month up to ? - depending on the level of attacks that you are getting.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Well a friend got a "2/gb attack" or something he said. What would be the price for something like that?

I would think $5K+ range for that

Well a friend got a "2/gb attack" or something he said. What would be the price for something like that?
    I would think $5K+ range for that type of attack.
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff View Post
    Whether or not the protection is delivered by proxy does not have any direct relation to the size of the attack. Proxies are generally more effective at detecting and mitigating low and slow Layer 7 attacks which are usually quite small in terms of bandwidth. Proxies are also generally more expensive.

Larger attacks can be mitigated on the network (eg. at Layer 3) without the use of a proxy by any provider with sufficient DDoS mitigation capabilities.
    I was simply asking because he stated his provider had already stated that they did not provide any such capabilities. In this case he did end up stating a 2Gbps attack, I doubt his provider would allow something like that to go as far as his server.

The best way is to simply contact a few different providers and see what they can quote you at. It is going to be pretty expensive if you are frequently getting attacks that large. If that is the case you may want to move your server to a provider that specializes in ddos mitigation.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

Quote Originally Posted by joda View Post
    I spoke with the DDOS Mitigation company Prolexic (http://www.prolexic.com) a while back and the cost was pretty significant:

approx $7000.00 / month for 10Mbps (95 percentile) clean traffic. $7500.00 setup

UNDER ATTACK NO CONTRACT: +$22,000.00.

This type of service would be required for any attack that saturates your available bandwidth (can't be mitigated by you alone).

There may be cheaper players out there but Prolexic is well known.
    Every single DDoS mitigation provider across the grid is at least 50%+ less than Prolexic, including the other major brand names.

There is an old saying...you get what you pay for.

Every single DDoS mitigation provider across the grid is at least 50%+ less than Prolexic, including the other major brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by joda View Post
    There is an old saying...you get what you pay for.
    Are you inferring that Prolexic's service is exponentially better than say, Verisign?

Not necessarily. How does blacklotus stack up against Prolexic or Versign?

Are you inferring that Prolexic's service is exponentially better than say, Verisign?