Aalan Guest
    How many cs-servers can this server take?

Hi there, I'm going to buy a server and start a cs server rental service.
    I've looked at many servers and I can get this one for cheap:
    2U
    Intel SE7501WV2
    2* Xeon 2,4ghz
    2GB ram
    2*74gb SCSI
    Adaptec 7902
    I think the Xeon is an old single core.
    How many 12 slot cs server do you think this could host at the same time? With no lagg at all ofc.
    Thanks

I would say about 6. That is about what the average gsp put on a machine like that back in the day. However, higher fps has become the new thing and since technology has developed so much, to get about the same performance as a server on a core 2 quad or a dual quad you would only be able to host about 4 servers.

__________________// Real Web Technologies, Inc. - www.rwebtech.comChief Executive Officer - J.Rodstrom@rwebtech.comDedicated Servers / Colocation / Web Hosting /Game Servers

It really depends on what Tick/FPS you plan to use. Depends on the OS also. I dont see that server getting more than a few servers on it.

2GB of memory is really going to prohibit any type of serious work that server can do.
    Do yourself a favor, up your memory for sure, processor if memory allows, and consider it an investment rather then a scrap solution. You'll be much happier down the road.

__________________Brian Farrell | Email: bfarrell@colocrossing.comColoCrossing Internet Services
    Dedicated

if you plan on using a game panel and plan on using that server as the game panel and server panel I'd say you can't put much on it especially with 2GB of RAM, but if its just a server to host 12 slot servers you can actually put up to a good amount, I'd say trial and error as there are no set methods to determine slots due to various factors.

Are you running CS:1.6 or CS: Source?
    1.6 = Maybe 4 if you're pushing it. You need more RAM.
    Source = I'd only stick 2 on that tops if you want to be reliable. You need more RAM

Aalan Guest
    Thanks for all the answers.
    I talked to the guy and I can get 2gb ram more, so that brings me up to 4gb ram. I will be running linux.
    Will the 4gb ram boost me up, or should i look for something else?

How many do you want to put on the server? If you want to place more on, and charge less, reconsider your options of less is more - charge your customers for what they get.
    Don't be one another $0.50/slot host, they're too many of them that are over croweded with terrible hardware and networks.

i think maybe 8. But thats pushing it ..
    if you get 4gb ram. then your looking at 10-12 easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullThrottleGS

It really depends on what Tick/FPS you plan to use. Depends on the OS also. I dont see that server getting more than a few servers on it.

Exactly.
    If a 100 tick server at 2gb ram, your most likely to get maybe 30 - 35 slots. Same with 66 tick, but getting around 40 - 50 slots. If you double your RAM, you should be able to get atleast double slots.
    But saying this, the server will be unreliable, and the lagspikes will kill your customers.

Aalan Guest
    Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Collateral

Exactly.
    If a 100 tick server at 2gb ram, your most likely to get maybe 30 - 35 slots. Same with 66 tick, but getting around 40 - 50 slots. If you double your RAM, you should be able to get atleast double slots.
    But saying this, the server will be unreliable, and the lagspikes will kill your customers.

Thanks for all the answers
    Why will there be lagspikes?
    And is fast hdds that important? Or will a 7200rpm SATA preform just as good?
    And also is there like an "equation" or something to calculate the amount of slots the servers can handle? From what I've understand atleast 4gb ram is a must. Is there anything more i should think of when looking for servers to hire/buy?

HD's are not nearly as important as them RAM/CPU. The most noticeable difference with a faster hd, would be load times when changing map. On a machine like this I would stick with a standard 7.2krpm hd, and if you have extra money get more ram or a better cpu.

__________________// Real Web Technologies, Inc. - www.rwebtech.comChief Executive Officer - J.Rodstrom@rwebtech.comDedicated Servers / Colocation / Web Hosting /Game Servers

You'd get RAM overload during map changes, which is why you should have LOTS of it. If you have 12 slot servers, and 10 clients on the one server, if even just 2 clients that have 12 users playing on their server and they change maps, that's 24 users you have to handle in a timely manner without a drop in overall server performance for everyone else. (T