Thread: Backup Script

Lightbulb Backup Script

I am a reseller without shell access.

Is there anything that can automatically backup all of my client websites including backups, and download them to my home pc? I have a always on cable connection.

Thanks

Scott

scott@ehosting4less.net
    Nothing but the best

www.ehosting4less.net
    www.edomains4less.com

You could always setup your FTP program to download everything at a certain time.
    I buy vBulletin licenses and vBSEO licenses!

I was thinking something like a crone job in cpanel...
    Nothing but the best

www.ehosting4less.net
    www.edomains4less.com

Rsync would be another option. It can syncronize files more intelligently (based on files that have changed) and will probably be more efficient.

we just setup a cron job to run a shell script at 12:00pm which tars and gunzips all httpdoc files and dumps all mysql databases to a second hard drive on our servers.
    Tek Gear - Aussie Online Solutions
    Online: www.tekgear.net.au

can this be done if I am a reseller?
    Nothing but the best

www.ehosting4less.net
    www.edomains4less.com

yes. we have set this up for our resellers. for a cpanel server you need to setup a .sh script with something like this.

tar -czf /home/username/backups/backup_daily_html.tar.gz /home/username/public_html

mysqldump --user=username --password=yourpassword username_modernbill > /home/username/backups/backup_daily_username_modernbill.sql

the first line will backup your public_html a backups directory with tar and gzip compression.

the second line will backup your modernbill database into the same directory.

replace username, password, username_modernbill, etc to whatever your details are.

next setup a cron job with crontab to run the .sh script at whatever time eg midnight each night.

I think he wants to backup his site and all his client sites. There is a script in WHM for doing this daily and saving it to another hard disk or uploading to an FTP server. I'm not sure if resellers have access to the script though.

I think he wants to backup his site and all his client sites. There is a script in WHM for doing this daily and saving it to another hard disk or uploading to an FTP server. I'm not sure if resellers have access to the script though.

yes, that is what I want to do.
    Nothing but the best

www.ehosting4less.net
    www.edomains4less.com

as a reseller you will not have access to backup anything another then your own personal account. even through ssh/shell it is locked so that you can only work with your own account.