Arch or CloudLinux, RHEL, SLES, Oracle Linux, CentOS, Debian, Gentoo

I use Arch as my everyday OS but I've been developing a few sites with Django and Ruby on rails and wondering what OS would be best suited for a server environment.

I'm building a custom dedicated box as well I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars per month for dedicated hosting in which if you know what you're doing you're better off on your own + it's free once you have your box.
    I've used Gentoo, Arch, and SUSE(OpenSUSE) as OSs and Suse seems very stable as SLES is generally OpenSUSE with it's server tools but updates aren't as quick which is ideal for a server environment.

With Gentoo or Arch you have to constantly update every month or every week, with gentoo I don't want to deal with mainly because of it's compile times which offer..really nothing over arch in terms of performance and even stability at this point which begs the question. Is source compiling even worth it? Even compiling from source with Arch is 10X quicker then gentoo.

For Servers though I would consider Arch but the constant updating freaks me out as an IT, Gentoo makes me want to jump off the ledge, Suse, CentOS, Oracle Linux, or even RedHat have less frequent updates and are made for the server and oh forgot about CloudLinux(cheap compared to suse or redhat per year. 14/mo 168/yr.) I've heard good things about Cloud Linux as well.

For a server is Arch a good option?

Never used Arch, just Slacky, Deb/Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS. Of all of them I love Slacky the most but it can be a painful relationship.
    So my strategy has been to use CentOS 5.x. Sure, it updates every week/month, just as you describe but the reality is most people ignore those until it's gotten too bad. Every OS should be doing that and if they aren't I'd worry. OpenSSL updates I hope I'm getting the most recent, otherwise that's dangerous.
    CentOS 5.x as a base OS is very stable. But I never use packages for PHP, nginx, or MySQL, no matter the OS they're going to be out of date. PHP is a pain in the *** to compile but once you get ./configure right just save what you did. If your source compile of PHP is taking 30 minutes, you've got other problems to worry about. And the fact is those three (well, Apache too if you can get it to build) are the most critical ones to keep right at the most current.
    I wouldn't bother with RHEL unless you like banging your head on a desk. CentOS just works. I'm not ready to advise CentOS 6 yet though.

I am running Cent 5.x and Cloudlinux, they both work great and never have given me any grieve (as of yet...crossing fingers ). Cloudlinux especially shines in the shared environment, keeping one client from bringing down your entire machine. It is also flexible in case one of your clients requires more CPU, or RAM or concurrent connections. The only problem when it comes to customizing each client's LVE is that you have to restart the entire machine to do so.
    Tyler S.
    TheWareHive.com | Hosting Sites Since 2010

"Problems Of Today, Meet Solutions Of Tomorrow"
    US East ~ Shared, Dedicated & Fully Managed VPS Solutions

The one thing I like about cloudlinux for an enterprise OS is it's price, it's half of SUSE and probably way less than red hat.

I have no experience with CloudLinux as it's a paid OS but how does it compare to the other enterprise OSs?

I cannot really comment on this myself because mainly my Linux experience mainly falls in the free distro's mainly CentOS. This is the first time I am actually paying for a Linux distro, but it's benefits completely out weight the cost for Cloudlinux anyways.
    Tyler S.
    TheWareHive.com | Hosting Sites Since 2010

"Problems Of Today, Meet Solutions Of Tomorrow"
    US East ~ Shared, Dedicated & Fully Managed VPS Solutions

I use both Cent OS 5.8 in 2 of my servers and Cloud Linux in 1 both works f9 never had any issue if you can spend a bit cloud linux can be used but if you want to save some bucks if suggest you to go for Cent OS
    Last edited by ajaydeparted; 04-30-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Went with Suse Enterprise Linux Server.
    Snappy install.

We love CloudLinux
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

If you are running a web hosting business, then cloudlinux is recommended when it comes to security and stability.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

i am running centos6.2 right now for webhosting/cpanel purposes and it works pretty neat. haven't run into any troubles whatsoever.

for non cpanel machines i use freebsd.
    We live in a twilight world

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by qrkyboy View Post
    Never used Arch, just Slacky, Deb/Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS. Of all of them I love Slacky the most but it can be a painful relationship.
    So my strategy has been to use CentOS 5.x. Sure, it updates every week/month, just as you describe but the reality is most people ignore those until it's gotten too bad. Every OS should be doing that and if they aren't I'd worry. OpenSSL updates I hope I'm getting the most recent, otherwise that's dangerous.
    CentOS 5.x as a base OS is very stable. But I never use packages for PHP, nginx, or MySQL, no matter the OS they're going to be out of date. PHP is a pain in the *** to compile but once you get ./configure right just save what you did. If your source compile of PHP is taking 30 minutes, you've got other problems to worry about. And the fact is those three (well, Apache too if you can get it to build) are the most critical ones to keep right at the most current.
    I wouldn't bother with RHEL unless you like banging your head on a desk. CentOS just works. I'm not ready to advise CentOS 6 yet though.
    I use OpenSuSE on the desktop and laptop since the days it was called SuSE. It is my main distro.
    But I have also used so many distro's that quite frankly it really depends on your personal preferences.
    Ubuntu is also very nice and cool. Fedora to me is very on the edge for a stable platform to make my programming and development.
    So in the desktop just try what is out there, study a lot the distros you want to use and go "mainstream distro(Opensuse, Ubuntu, Fedora,Mandriva, whatever top 10 distro)" (if such thing is possible in Linux) for your most used desktop environment in order to have an up-dated and stable Linux version that you can work with.

On the server side however things are not that simple.
    SLES is not really OpenSuSE with some older kernels
    SLES is really a very sophisticated distro that is very well made to be a stable server platform sustaining very high loads and very geared to server work.
    Same applies to Red Hat and Red Hat Clone Centos.

My Server favourite is Centos and right now lattest version 5.
    Quite frankly I think it is just a matter of support and dedi-server availability out there.
    It is a starting point and everything Web-related runs on it very well and there is a huge amount of support online.

Other then that if you know what you are doing And your site is not a multi-million users/Month site Any Linux distro will do, even the Desktop/lapot oriented ones ...

Regards.

I'm not sure I would use Gentoo or Arch as a server, big fan of both distros but they're a bit bleeding edge.

For servers, CentOS or Debian are my two.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWareHive View Post
    The only problem when it comes to customizing each client's LVE is that you have to restart the entire machine to do so.
    ... no, you don't... It was needed before for changing ncpu, but even that is no longer needed.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc
    http://www.cloudlinux.com
    CloudLinux -- The OS that can make your Shared Hosting stable

Regarding CloudLinux -- we really make sense on shared environment (multiple sites/etc...). Like in this case -- if you want to make sure that one of your sites doesn't bring down other sites -- CL will make sense.

Yet, if you treat it as one big server/you are the only person/you don't care about one site causing issues for other sites -- CL is no different (beyond price) then CentOS.
    Igor Seletskiy
    CEO @ Cloud Linux Inc
    http://www.cloudlinux.com
    CloudLinux -- The OS that can make your Shared Hosting stable