Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

solid state hard drives?

what do you think of solid state hard drives? the next big thing in server hardware? no moving parts meaning more reliable. they obviously may not be as fast as a raid array of 15k scsi hdds but one day im 110% sure they will, we never thought hard drives would be as advanced as they are today.

Im currently using a solid state drive in my netbook and its great

Share your thoughts

You sure about that scsi array? http://it.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3532&p=10

You may want to check out the random reads and writes on that page.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

The cheaper SSD drives are a no, no still. The controller on them is garbage and the random writes and very very slow. Sequential read/writes are very fast.

The newer main stream (2nd gen) SSDs (e.g. ocz's apex) are doing much better apparently, but I haven't tried them yet.

The intel high end ones are great; same for the samsung ones.

Then there's the whole MLC vs SLC debate, how blocks are cleared, etc. I have found SLC drives to be faster (but pricier).

So I think we're getting there, but not quite yet.
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

What about lifespan on SSD longer than HDDs?

awesome hard drives but at this time is very expensive
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by racked_solutions View Post
    What about lifespan on SSD longer than HDDs?
    MTBF 2 million hours for the OCZ vertex series.
    a WDC RE3 has 1.2 million hours MTBF.

but it really depends on what you're doing; the SSD have limited write cycles. So I guess overall they're probably similar now.
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

Check out this video..

Raiding 24 Solid state drives together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWO...layer_embedded

Thumbs down Solid State Drives

Just doesn't seem ready for prime time hosting yet. I don't think you can get the performance out of the drives.

Very much seems to be a "netbook" type of technology. I'm sure they will turn the corner eventually but I don't think we're there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jchawk View Post
    Just doesn't seem ready for prime time hosting yet. I don't think you can get the performance out of the drives.

Very much seems to be a "netbook" type of technology. I'm sure they will turn the corner eventually but I don't think we're there yet.
    Definitely not, but very interesting none the less..

I think with the whole "eco" approach companies like Google and Microsoft are taking now, the solid state drives, once they improve on throughput and capacity will be fantastic for efficiency and stability.

The PCIe SSD's seem very promising. Like any bleeding edge technology, I'm sure they cost a pretty penny.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-29.html

well i check out mdd hosting almost every day and http://forums.mddhosting.com/index.php?showtopic=95

they use slc. there where alto of good reviews about wht before the hack
    Leader of the new anti sig spamming club.

Western Digital has announced that they're getting into this. The more competition the better the prices are going to get.

PCIe solutions are great if you need a lot of storage with great speeds. SSDs are useful if you need small space in 2.5".
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

PCIe drives could(will) be huge in the DS business if(when) the prices come down.

http://www.storagesearch.com/fusion-io.html

What about that?
    Now that is amazing...
    i
    really
    love
    WHT!

Quote Originally Posted by TrentH View Post
    http://www.storagesearch.com/fusion-io.html

What about that?
    Now that is amazing...
    I know! That's what I've been talking about. Once those get to a price point most people/companies can afford. Game = changed.

Nice video. But there must be a diffrence between hosting use and personal use. can there ssd harddrives stay online for a long time ?

Quote Originally Posted by DoYouSpeakWak?? View Post
    Nice video. But there must be a diffrence between hosting use and personal use. can there ssd harddrives stay online for a long time ?
    Solid state drives have no moving parts, so the only potential issue with keeping them on could possibly be heat. Due to the fact they use less power, I don't think heat is going to be an issue

Quote Originally Posted by racked_solutions View Post
    what do you think of solid state hard drives? the next big thing in server hardware? no moving parts meaning more reliable. they obviously may not be as fast as a raid array of 15k scsi hdds but one day im 110% sure they will, we never thought hard drives would be as advanced as they are today.

Im currently using a solid state drive in my netbook and its great

Share your thoughts
    Yep, I have an HP Mini for presentations. And apart from the speed of the SSHD, it's a great machine. I'm soon going to be ripping out that hard drive and putting in a faster one that, from research, will boost the performance significantly.
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice

Oh I think SSD(s) are good

Quote Originally Posted by Rufe0 View Post
    Oh I think SSD(s) are good
    Yeah me too!

Quote Originally Posted by shockuk View Post
    Yeah me too!
    No way shockuk! What exactly do you like about them most?

Yes way Sherlock!

Low access time, what else is there to love?

It is definitely the future. With storage requirements and drives getting bigger the rebuild of raid arrays with large 1TB drives is a nightmare so a SSD of large size would be amazing!

regarding data recovery if the hard drive failed, SSD seems to be much more difficult.

Raid?

Can you not apply RAID in the same way as a conventional drive?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast