Angry Is Fully Managed Needed for Windows?

If I get a Windows 2003 Standard Dedicated Server with Plesk, does one really need to have it fully managed? Are fully managed services for those who aren't too knowledgeable about Unix?

What are the cons and pros of Windows 2003 Std versus something like CentOS?

Windows 2003 Std:

free Apache (is it good on Windows?)
    free Php
    free mysql
    Game Servers, Shoutcast, etc
    Frontpage Extentions
    Exchange
    .net

CentOS:

Web hosting only
    $20 cheaper/mo

I've used apache httpd in windows and it does fine same with php, mysql, shoutcast as for the rest i havent tested them. Linux is more stable compared to windows.

Well, technically speaking PHP and MySQL works great on IIS 6 with Windows 2003. There is really no real need to use Apache for that unless there is something Apache-specific that you need to run. I believe that Frontpage and .NET don't work with Apache. IIS6 runs better on Windows because that is what it is made for.

Plesk on Windows runs exclusively with IIS 6 and not with Apache.

If you know what you are doing, you don't really need to have the Windows managed at all. You can run the Security Wizard which would lock down all the ports and services you don't use and allow you to turn on what you want to use and you are pretty much set to go. Remember to at least do the monthly security updates for Windows.

Windows 2003 and IIS 6 is very stable and rock solid. I have no problems running them.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Integer
    If I get a Windows 2003 Standard Dedicated Server with Plesk, does one really need to have it fully managed? Are fully managed services for those who aren't too knowledgeable about Unix?

Windows 2003 Std:

free Php
    free mysql
    Frontpage Extentions
    Exchange
    .net

CentOS:

Web hosting only
    $20 cheaper/mo

CentOS vs Windows - Apple vs Orange

IMO, if you're getting a Windows, you shouldn't use Apache. you should use IIS, it is not hard to use IIS6. setting up PHP on IIS is a simple, extract the php zip package after download from php.net and setup web service extension for it. the config is different depend on if you want to use CGI mode or ISAPI mode.

if you want to use Apache, go with CentOS, Apache work better on *nix.

It all depends on your requirements. Years ago I hosted on Windows and had an excellent uptime - better than with some Unix hosts. Hence saying "Linux is more stable" is incorrect. Also in regard to Apache, IIS is usually the typical server one would use on Windows, but Apache works just as well as fine.

You mentioned Game Servers, Frontpage Extentions, Exchange and .net. If you need, then go with a Windows server.

Windows 2003 Std:

free Php
    free mysql
    Frontpage Extentions
    Exchange
    .net
    If your target is ASP & ASP.NET clients, then your only choice is Windows Server, otherwise both are good for hosting...
    You not really need to install Apache on Windows Server, extra services will waste your server's resources.
    Peter
    www.yeahhost.com
    Windows & Linux Hosting
    Targeting Your Needs

Yes i agree with peter.. if your client needs asp and asp.net then there is only way you to choose windows :-)

Do note, if you are going for plesk and windows 2006, you either get some tech or make it fully managed server if you can't handle things yourself.

Windows is an unstable OS, so problems do come often in this case. If you need asp, asp.net and mssql msde, then plesk is best for you.
    Cloud Hosting
    ~ Shared Cpanel Hosting, Cpanel Reseller, Business Cloud Hosting, SSD Cpanel Reseller Hosting ~

Quote Originally Posted by kamyana
    Windows is an unstable OS, so problems do come often in this case.
    No, not again.

Browse the forums and you will see that your statements are false and uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepxj86
    Linux is more stable compared to windows.
    Windows is an unstable OS, so problems do come often in this case. If you need asp, asp.net and mssql msde, then plesk is best for you.
    I wish people would stop making such rediculous statements about Windows Servers when they clearly don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Windows is by no means an unstable OS, I am an MCP and I deal with Windows servers and networks on a daily basis. I have *never* had a Windows Server 2003 machine hard crash on me, ever. If you have problems with servers crashing, it's clearly because you don't know how to manage them.

Did you know that the vast majority of fortune 500 companies run their business from Windows Servers?? I suggest you go and get some real facts before you go telling people that Windows Server is unstable.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
    I wish people would stop making such rediculous statements about Windows Servers when they clearly don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Windows is by no means an unstable OS, I am an MCP and I deal with Windows servers and networks on a daily basis. I have *never* had a Windows Server 2003 machine hard crash on me, ever. If you have problems with servers crashing, it's clearly because you don't know how to manage them.

Did you know that the vast majority of fortune 500 companies run their business from Windows Servers?? I suggest you go and get some real facts before you go telling people that Windows Server is unstable.

Dan

I seem to be following Dan around these last two posts, but yet AGAIN this man has hit it on the nail.

Windows Servers ARE stable and this is coming from someone who's first computer ran unix. There are HUGE networks running on Windows without a problem and being certified myself I deal with Window servers constantly and I have never had a server crash on me either.

Proper network planning and maintance will do you wonders.

I work for a company with two seperate networks, both of which are cisco/windows powered and operate a strong wlan, in my opinion - a secure, functional network such as this would be harder to achieve with linux.
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

Do note, if you are going for plesk and windows 2006, you either get some tech or make it fully managed server if you can't handle things yourself.

I suggest you get a clue or find someone with one.

Windows is hardly unstable. If you do something silly and don't manage any system properly then of course it will be unstable.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services