Angry we don't want this type ..

everyday .. many hosting companies start appear ..
    and this a good sign .. but some of these companies .. cheating the customers .. high price for low and frail service .. and blackmail the customer to take from them.. and this effect on us .. the other hosting companies .. this way .. the customer will lose his trust in us .. the money is not everything .. our repute come first ..

what should we do with this types of companies??

Hi

Do you have a personal experience you'll like to share? Up to now, I've gone with cheap hosts. My budget is low, but I know what I'm paying for. So far, I haven't had this occur to me. But, I do think many hosting companies come up without any idea what they're getting thierselves into. Perhaps there should be a neutral authority that authorizes all new hosting companies. Or it should be regulated. Something like the BBB for hosting.

My two cents.

i said this from what i saw .. for example .. someone took a space disk and domain from company .. and after few weeks .. the problems statrted to appear .. so this guy decide to deal with another company and he asked the first company to give him the domain (he pay for it .. it wasn't a gift) .. but the company said .. if u want ur domain .. u must take a space from us to give u .. but he did't agree .. and now .. his domain set forth sale ...
    and there are many stories like this ..
    of course there are companies give u the best service for good price .. am not saying all companies are cheaters .. i have my own company also ..
    and am trying to give the best service for price every one can pay it

On the contrary we do want this type of company you just don't know it yet. It's like a free crash course in consumer awareness. Sure it's bad when people get screwed over but when they do they find out they have to pay more to get high quality and they typically do.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

yes .. there is some advantages .. but after they lost their money .. every one learn from what he face..

We started out with 2 of us. We had 1 guy that used to work for a local ISP and me. I have been working within the web industry for over 4 years. Support, Sales, Administration etc...

We hear stories everyday about companies that have folded in less than a month. But that's good in our view. They are just making more business for us. The customer soon realises that paying $1 for 1GB of space a month just is not practical. And most of the time they find out the hard way.

u can't be cheated 2 times in same way ... that what should we learn

other webhost cheat customers
    Why will customers lose trust in you?
    sorry, i cant find any relationship
    CDHouse.Biz
    Cheap Linux, FreeBSD, OpenOffice CDs

good advise guys. thanks

Triple Story Cardboard Box in the land down under
    If you're a good company who treats their customers right you have nothing to be worried about.

The type of hosts who will suffer from these hosts that fold up in one month are new hosts. Hosts like that make it very hard for new hosts to start up as customers simply dont trust anone new.
    Web Hosting Jury - over 4000 hosting USER reviews
    Love Your Host? Hate Your Host? - Submit a review

Buyer beware.. is always good to know. There are thousands of good low cost providers, and there are thousands of good high cost providers. There are alot of low cost and high cost providers that are bad.

It would be nice if there was a board, or even on here, where there was a list of bad hosts.. That listed all the bad providers in one place. If there is, anyone have the link?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

Originally posted by truelysam
    other webhost cheat customers
    Why will customers lose trust in you?
    sorry, i cant find any relationship

Exactly. Just another host that is bitter b-cuz they can't compete, prices too high services not great enough to make up for it. Yes we should make all the other hosts shut down b-cuz of this.

Well the fact is there are lots of bad businesses in general out there- thats what the BBB is for.

"what should we do with them" - don't buy services from them, simple. If no one buys services from them, they'll shut down.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thebigidea
    Exactly. Just another host that is bitter b-cuz they can't compete, prices too high services not great enough to make up for it. Yes we should make all the other hosts shut down b-cuz of this. [/QUOTE

Whats wrong with that LOL!
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

RealtorHost, We did have discussion on this forum about making a host blacklist but it was decided that there would be too many legal implications.

However with the site on my sig I aim to make people more aware of bad hosts.

Regulation? are you insane!?

You definatly don't want the government involved
    ( I might, but you wouldn't )

The first requirement on most if not all GVT regulated services is physical business premis, meaning if you don't have a street address where customers can go, you're out of business.

The second thing that happens is they not only impose taxes (fees) but they post what they like to call a FMVS (fair market value for Service) which basicly puts everybody in pretty much the same price bracket. which inturn makes everyone equal or close to eachother in price.

You're going to get crooks, scams, and scumbags no matter what industry you get into or look at.

Rather than GVT interference, I think a World wide searchable database of hosting issues should be maintained listing the host, the problem, and (to be fair) any comments or resulations made to the issue by the host in question.

Lets be fair, some bad hosts, are actually honest hosts, with a numbskull customer

bitfunny. What you said, I am trying to do exactly that on my website. I allow users to post their reviews of web hosts as well as allow web hosts to give their side of the story.

"Lets be fair, some bad hosts, are actually honest hosts, with a numbskull customer"

That is a very true comment and I have seen it many times (too many times). One common one is people complaining that their site isnt working when they havent changed the nameservers of their domains. Everyone's not a pro like us lot

Cool

It sounds like what the original post referred to was a bad experience that is all too common.
    MANY hosts sell domain names that are not completely registered in the "buyers" name. Of course this is almost always true with "free" domain names and in that case I can see the point. It is the only way the host can insure the buyer won't get the free name then leave before their one-year (or whatever) contract is up.
    But if you are paying for the name buyers should "read the fine print".
    We don't sell domains without hosting but we don't give them away either. It's mainly a convenience for new customers to only have to fill out all their information once. BUT we register everything in the customers name (Registrant, Admin, Tech, and Billing contacts) so that the customer owns the domain just like they bought it from a registrar directly and can leave with it if they choose.
    What I have found by several potential customer's experiences is that they did not read the details when they bought their name elsewhere and then find when they are unsatisfied with the host that the admin contact (who must approve any moves) is set to the other host or they have "locked" the name and will put up a fight to keep from letting it go.
    As several have posted it's a hard way to learn but regulations aren't the answer and there is already a form of "blacklist" here... if you see a host with dozens of negative posts from different people over a long time period (and they have details, not just "XY Host stinks" for example) people can find that information by searching.

These things tend to work themselves out over time. I don't know where the whole industry is headed but as you can see by the "get your terminal, make thousands from wireless" ads on TV (when the buyer probably doesn't realize most hotels etc. have free wireless nowadays so I doubt you will get many $4 an hour customers) there is still a large "get rich quick" mentality about the Internet. Look at the infomercials for "make a fortune on eBay" or "own your own on-line business". (I had a customer contact us a couple of days ago and it was obvious he want's to set up an "on-line store" and has fallen for one of these deals since he had no knowledge of payment processors or SSL or such but said "oh I don't have to worry about my product images being the right size, I just download the ones I want and they are pre-made for on-line stores")
    As such there are the gullible and inexperienced getting into the market and the predators (or just people who don't know any better) waiting to take advantage of them everyday.
    No need to get radical. The serious can just run an honest business, take care of your customers, all the things any good business does and in time the gap between good & bad will become more obvious.
    Just my .02
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

[domain names that are not completely registered in the "buyers" name]

This isn't uncommon, and it doesn't make the host doing it a "scam" artist.

Some hosts reserve ownership of domain names, and it is upto the costomer to verify the details of ownership. A few years ago this was not only well known, but there was plenty of information available to customers regarding this practice (what to do to verify who ownes a doman name etc) but as of late, I haven't seen many of them around.

Good domain names (short catchy dot coms) are hard to come by and some are valuable (or have the potential of being so).
    This doesn't make it right, infact we not only dispise the practice we make it clear the customer owns the name and content (unless they're using a data service by us or someone else)

As long as it's spelled out for the customer before signup, there isn't anything imoral about it, just unethical

Originally posted by intek
    The customer soon realises that paying $1 for 1GB of space a month just is not practical. And most of the time they find out the hard way.

Man isn't that the truth!

- Mike
    Affordable & reliable web hosting
    http://www.sassinc.net

"We deliver the power of the internet into your hands."