Backing up my server

I have a dedicated server for accounts I host. Is there any reason why I can't back up to my PC or personal external hard drive at home? If you reject this idea, what do you suggest for inexpensive backup around 10g?

There is no reason why you can't, depending on your home connection, this can be feasible. Another way is to sign up for those backup services that are available on the Internet.

hmm if your going to do this it might be an idea to install ssh and get dedicated ip (fom your isp) and rsync the data accross
    Master Reseller Accounts
    Shared Hosting
    VPS hosting
    ToastHosts.com support{at}toasthosts.com

try rsyncpalace.com

They have 15gb for $4.95/mo

p.s.

They have a promo

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=628732

I can recommend bqbackup. You can get 10GB for $5 there, which can't really be beat (not for the quality, connectivity, and uptime that they have anyway). I've gone from 10GB, to 20GB, to 100+GB over 2+ years and it's been fantastic the entire time. Highly recommended.

Alex

Yeah, bqbackup rocks. Can't say a bad thing about them.

bqbackup has very good prices but it's the 2nd time I notice that their disks are full. Yesterday I sent them a e-mail but no reply yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    bqbackup has very good prices but it's the 2nd time I notice that their disks are full. Yesterday I sent them a e-mail but no reply yet.
    I'm not sure what happened to the response, but I'll send another copy now. The issue with your account was resolved shortly after your email yesterday. I apologize for any inconvenience.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I receive the response. Thanks.

hey guys, similar situation here. except i want to back up my entire server, probably 50gb of data.

i have a 20mbit connection at home, and get 1.5+mbytes/second when pushing a file onto my home pc from the server via ftp.

i've set up rsync at home but for some reason the transfer rate does not go over 50-60kbytes/sec, i'm guessing cause the files are too small.

is this a problem with my rsync configuration? i havne't set any speed limits...

finally, is there some better solution than rsync to backup my server?

thanks!

Have you asked your current host? Many hosts also offer remote FTP backup solutions, which would be a perfect option for you.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabWeb View Post
    Have you asked your current host? Many hosts also offer remote FTP backup solutions, which would be a perfect option for you.
    you talkign to me or the original poster?
    if its me, i don't think ftp would be smart. not for backing up that much data. i'd definitely need some rsync or incremental backup solution.

Quote Originally Posted by chamelion View Post
    hey guys, similar situation here. except i want to back up my entire server, probably 50gb of data.

i have a 20mbit connection at home, and get 1.5+mbytes/second when pushing a file onto my home pc from the server via ftp.

i've set up rsync at home but for some reason the transfer rate does not go over 50-60kbytes/sec, i'm guessing cause the files are too small.

is this a problem with my rsync configuration? i havne't set any speed limits...

finally, is there some better solution than rsync to backup my server?

thanks!
    Whats the exact rsync command you're using?

Are you specifying arcfour as the cipher for ssh?

One problem about backing up to your home, usually home connections have much slower upload then download.

So if you ever need to restore those backups it will take you a very long time.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

Host Ultra hits the nail on the head. Backing up is no problem at all, however restoring is when things get bad.

Most xDSL or cable connections are limited to 1Mbit of upstream bandwidth. This means that restoring an 160GB drive will take 350 hours (!!). Thats two weeks. I dont think you want your servers to be offline as long as that, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by comm View Post
    Whats the exact rsync command you're using?

Are you specifying arcfour as the cipher for ssh?
    rsync --links --backup --recursive /mydirectory myserver::backuplocation.

There is always the option to download the backups on his computer and restore them using an internet cafe that has good upload connection.

For our backups we use a 2nd hard disk (daily backups), bqbackup (weekly backups), a low end dedicated server (daily backups) and a computer connected to a 768kbit dsl in Greece (monthly backups). Having the backups in many locations is a good idea.

not worried about upload. i can use work connection

Backup services do have their advantages of upload and download speeds. Just ensure if you go with one. Make sure that they have the actual space that they are selling is a good word of advice.
    www.MyWinsVPS.com - Quality Engineered Linux/Windows 2003/2008 Dedicated VPS Provider - "VDS/VPS Setup AVAILABLE!!!"
    No Overloading of Machines, Dedicated Burstable Port Speeds, CPU, Ram, and HD - Now Offering Linux CentOS

I am on the welfare backup plan. My site is around 40gigs. 30 of those gigs being downloadable zip files for a game. I back up those 30gigs directly to my own harddrive whenever theres been enough changes made. The other 10 are the mysql databases, and actual website. I back these up every week on the server and download them all once or twice a month. If I have to restore, the mysql goes up 1st, then the website with large graphics folders going last. This way atleast the site is up and running. Finally, the 30gigs of zips are uploaded. Yeap, its the welfare way to do things!

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ultra View Post
    One problem about backing up to your home, usually home connections have much slower upload then download.

So if you ever need to restore those backups it will take you a very long time.
    Ouch, just imagine the pain of uploading 10 GB of data with about 70 kb/s while answering the phone from customers all the way through