Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

half of my left hand has been numb for a few days now

does anybody know what this can be a sign of? I really can't afford to go to a doctor with the holiday season coming up.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    does anybody know what this can be a sign of?...
    Yes. But I'm not one to state the obvious.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

i don't even use that hand man
      0 Not allowed!

............................*insert rulebreaking joke here*

Erm..carpel tunnel?
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()
      0 Not allowed!

Pinched nerve. Happened to me once.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net
      0 Not allowed!

yeah, but i've had pinched nerves before, and none of them have lasted more than a couple days. This has been going on for like 4 days now.
      0 Not allowed!

If it's the thumb/pointer side of your hand it could be carpel tunnel or compressed median nerve, if it's the pinky side of your hand probably compressed ulnar nerve.
      0 Not allowed!

"holiday season" cant be a reason to skip on getting this checked. it can be multitude of things.

this is no joke - some limb, part of limb going numb can be the sign of many serious issues, ranging from coronery issues to brain damage, to nerve damage.

you gotta get it checked and you gotta do it now.
      0 Not allowed!

Numbness is sometimes associated with a stroke, but that's usually with a larger part of your body.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lutefisk View Post
    If it's the thumb/pointer side of your hand it could be carpel tunnel or compressed median nerve, if it's the pinky side of your hand probably compressed ulnar nerve.
    it's my ring and pinkie finger
      0 Not allowed!

Probably a tumor...
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net
      0 Not allowed!

You most likely have a compressed ulnar nerve. If it doesn't improve in a day or two you should take it to a doctor, Holidays or not. I think the compression most often occurs in the elbow, but can also occur at the wrist, collarbone, or spine. It can be caused simply by how you've been resting your arm.

Doctor may do some nerve conduction tests to identify where the blockage is and discuss treatment options with you. He may start with an anti-inflammatory and physical therapy, but surgery could be necessary. Untreated it can result in muscle wasting as well as long-term numbness. Best of luck. Mine needed surgery but it's been fine since.
      0 Not allowed!

Dont wait any days or a holiday.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, high chance it's just a nerve but you never know, blood clots etc tend to numb things to and they're quite serious. Of course I'm a webhost/programmer and not a doctor, but seems best to get it checked out if it stays.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    "holiday season" cant be a reason to skip on getting this checked. it can be multitude of things.

this is no joke - some limb, part of limb going numb can be the sign of many serious issues, ranging from coronery issues to brain damage, to nerve damage.

you gotta get it checked and you gotta do it now.
    Take it easy, no need to get all panicky and scare the guy.
      0 Not allowed!

I would guess carpel tunnel syndrome or nerve damage. Do you have any other symptoms?
    drew@slicie.com - Vertical Scaling Servers
    30 Minute Backups - Pay for what you use
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostSentry View Post
    I would guess carpel tunnel syndrome or nerve damage. Do you have any other symptoms?
    There really isn't any pain. I can move my hand, wrist, and fingers around without any effort. It's just that these two fingers have been slightly numb, and weird feeling for a few days. The other hand is completely fine as well.

I am not going to a doctor unless I have pain, or it's having a serious affect on my health. Unity100, you can stop posting in this thread right now.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by avythe View Post
    Numbness is sometimes associated with a stroke
    What kinda stroke we talkin here?
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()
      0 Not allowed!

There really isn't any pain. I can move my hand, wrist, and fingers around without any effort. It's just that these two fingers have been slightly numb, and weird feeling for a few days. The other hand is completely fine as well.
    Any dizziness?
    drew@slicie.com - Vertical Scaling Servers
    30 Minute Backups - Pay for what you use
      0 Not allowed!

ub3r: Do you have _any_ health insurance? If you are a young, relatively healthy male who has "normal" BMI, you should be able to get a personal insurance plan for pretty decent rates (less than $250/mo). At the very least, you should have catastrophic coverage, and that can be had much, much cheaper.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.
      0 Not allowed!

Nope, no dizziness. I even have more energy today than I usually do.

Yes, I do have health insurance. However, the last time I put it to use I still got a $350+ bill shoved down my throat. At this moment, with the holidays coming up, and me having to purchase gifts for people, and trip tickets back to michigan for myself, I really can't handle that kind of bill.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, I do have health insurance. However, the last time I put it to use I still got a $350+ bill shoved down my throat. At this moment, with the holidays coming up, and me having to purchase gifts for people, and trip tickets back to michigan for myself, I really can't handle that kind of bill.
    You don't have to pay it all now. Many doctors will work with you to setup a payment plan, etc. Better to get your problem checked out now, then wait and perhaps it gets worse and it'll cost you $3000 instead of $300 to get fixed. Just be up front with them about your situation.

I actually know a guy who kept putting something off, and he ended up in the emergency room, where they ran $25,000 in tests in about 12 hours, and he got stuck with 20% of the bill. Had he gone to the doctors office before the problem got so severe, it probably would have cost him $100.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.
      0 Not allowed!

I am not going to a doctor unless I have pain, or it's having a serious affect on my health. Unity100, you can stop posting in this thread right now.
    Like the others have said, this may just be a pinched nerve or something minor. However, the symptoms could be a sign of something more serious, and you owe it to yourself to get a professional medical opinion.

Again, I don't want to scare you, but last year a good friend of mine had some very minor symptoms that he mentioned to me in an email. The next day he collapsed and was rushed to hospital, it was bleeding in the brain, and he died within a few hours after an emergency operation.
      0 Not allowed!

Nope, no dizziness. I even have more energy today than I usually do.

You remind me of my old friend... he was having a little trouble but refused to go to the doc... four days later he had a stroke... the bad thing was the doc said they could have prevented it or lessoned the effects if he would have came in days before.

Of course, your issues are not that large, but you can think of human body at times providing small warnings before something major happens. In other words, stop being a cheap a and go see a doc if it is bothering you that much. Seriously, if you have taken notice of it, it is your body telling something is wrong...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

See a doctor. Shouldn't cost much more than $50.00?

Do you use those 2 fingers a lot for video games? Could be connected to that.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast