Question

I am considering a linux server from dialtoneinternet.com.

I would like to get some opinions of this company from people who have first or second hand knowledge of them. I am looking for overall ratings of them and a breakdown of strong points and week points.

I ask that no one associated with them, or any one in diect competition with them reply.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi there, I can help on this one.
    Great points:
    -relaible uptime (i had them go down once in six months and that was an attack that cleared in a few hours)

-reliable equipment (never any problems here)

-good support (the support for the most part knows what they are doing)

-30day money back garuantee! (enough said)

-the mostaffordable equipment pricing ive ever seen

===========
    Bad points:
    -you will have to pay for that support, dont give into that 30 day free line. maybe someone else will fill in here becuase frankly i always get carried away on their support pricing and wind up starting arguments in these forums about that .
    So you had better know what your are doing when it comes to admin of a server.

-the way they measure bandiwidth , 95th percentile. I get screwed big time on that way of measuring traffic but if you go throuhg these forums im the acception to the rule i think. Bottom line - read more about the 95th precentile method of measuring before you commit.

-Oh and just a minor thing - their invoices they send out are retarded (for lack of a better word). They have the amount billed and thats about it, if you start ordering extras like me then you'll be lost when you see those invoices becuase every month i have to email back and ask what the hell the invoice was for. I get credits for this bills for that. Its just when i get a bill for $1773 i kinda like to know right away what the hell it was for.

-Thats really all i can say about DI. Im sure i left some things out by accident so maybe some other folks will fill in here for me.

I'm very happy with DI. Jaguar basically covered everything.

You pay for support, so know what your getting into. If you're experienced, or willing to learn, at administrating a server than you shouldn't worry. If you expect someone to hold your hand through everything than DO NOT go with DI.

Jaguar is the exception when it comes to bandwidth consumption. Jaguar has very high peaks during certain times of the day and very low peaks the rest. Using the 95th percentile system, he will pay heavily for his bandwidth consumptions because his peaks last for more than 36 hours a month.

I highly recommend them if you keep these things in mind.

------------------
    "I AM!"

Thanks jaguar
    Merci mon ami

Linux at the deicated server level will be new to me. I do have eight MS certs and Cisco as well, so server administration is far from a new thing.

What would y'all recommend for books etc to learn Linux Admin?

Thanks

I mostly agreee with jaguar, except on two points.

You pay for support wherever you go. It can be factored into the price you pay monthly, or it can be separate. Many people are mistaken about free support at some companies and it is easy to find the hourly rates on sites that they think have free support.

The 95th percentile bandwith system is not unjust, and it is the way many hosting companies are charged by bandwidth suppliers. Jaguar had even admitted he now understands why it is fair. See http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/001151.html

It is easy to get a mistaken idea about charges for support at DI, especially since they always seem to answer with a "please authorize charges so we can look into it" signature. The truth is that they do not charge for anything that is their fault. They also do not charge for answering some questions even well beyond the initial 30 day period.

Note however, that the support department is not a substitute for learning about server administration, nor should it be at any company.

I too have a complaint over their invoicing, though a relatively minor one. The day the invoice is issued, it has a notice that payment is due on or before that date. That is a virtual impossibility for those of us who pay by check. When they called as a reminder two days after the invoice (not enough time to reach them by mail even if mailed immediately), I was a bit annoyed. I agree that the service performed should be noted on the invoice, or at least the service ticket number.

They are fair, though, something too many people overlook. Jaguar failed to mention that they took 20% (about $350) off his whopping bandwidth bill (as a one time event), even though they were under no obligation to do so.

Are they perfect? No. However, they have a great attitude, and that makes a world of difference. They are competent and fair. Also, perfection is a journey, not a destination.

I have had my server about 3 months and chose DI after a lot of research and investigation. I wanted this to be the last time I moved. I'm convinced that it is. There are some things, and some program choices, I would do differently (and will when I colocate), and I don't regret my choice of DI one little bit. They are reputable, ethical, fair and competent.

I have some information on my site for those new to dedicated server management (which includes me), and you may find it helpful. SOme of it is specific to DI. You can find it at http://techcellence.net on the right side menu.

One of the instructions I give is to read DI's FAQ in its entirety (at least the subjects covered). It includes a list of recommended books.

[This message has been edited by Duster (edited 08-11-2000).]

Here are the recommended books in DI's FAQ (along with their comments):

Red Hat Linux Unleashed, by Sams Press, got many of us started. It comes with the Red Hat installation disks so you can also install it on your own PC. It has an overview of the whole system and many
    excellent troubleshooting and setup tips, as well as some programming examples.

For advanced information on the various Unix services and utilities, O'Reilly press is universally recognized as the best:
    DNS and BIND, by Albitz and Liu;
    sendmail, by Costales and Allman;
    Essential System Administration, by Frisch; to name a few. Other books may be more friendly to beginners, but if you're going to spend your hard-earned money, we recommend you get the best and plow through it at your own pace. And do your experimenting on your PC, NOT on your server.

[This message has been edited by Duster (edited 08-11-2000).]

Thanks Duster!

I ordered two of the books; The Unleashed and the Essential Admin. These will keep be busy for a while.

Just wonering, where does your nick come from? You a Mopar fan from way back?

I'll say they will keep you busy. Unleashed is only slightly longer than James Michener's Hawaii (1235 vs 1100 pages). Neither are what would be considered light reading.

No, I'm not a Mopar fan. My nickname is derived from a few sources, including it being my call sign for Wing Commander.