* building a new PC, and need suggestions on a heatsink

I am building a new computer, and im a little short on space. It's being built in an aluminum tool case . I have dual 80 mm Antec smart fans to cool the mobo, and im thinking of putting in another one just to circulate the air. But, i am not sure of a good heatsink/cooler fan for my processor. The proccessor is an AMD Athlon XP 1600 (socket A). Any input is greatly appreciated.

Swiftech, makes really good heat sink fans. They are a little higher priced than others, however they deliver more cooling power, which makes that AMD processor happy.

www.dansdata.com

this guy is a fan fanatic...umm..maybe not...but he has reviewed more heatsinks/fans than you will ever see in your life.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Also check out Tom's Hardware Guide. They usually have some great reviews of various products and you can see for yourself which are the best. Swiftech, btw, are one of the best out there.
    - Mark

Make sure you got equal amount of air coming in and going out or else it would cause negative airflow. Wouldn't matter then how many fans you got in there. Artic silverIII will help heaps in cooling the monster down too or you could always get those white thermal compounds if Artic silver is over your budget.

Swiftech is great but they are a bit costly. Globalwin makes decent heatsinks though. Another thing to consider is the noise factor. 7800rpm delta fans are sure good for cooling but the amount of vibration and noise they produce it would give me a headache.

I've got an XP 1600 runnin with one of these:

http://www.svcompucycle.com/newsvcgc3280.html

Does the job well, not to loud, and easy on the wallet. Man, if it only did my laundry I would be set

If you want some really good advice on cooling, check out the Anandtech forums. One of the best resources out there.
    i beat the internet. the end guy is hard

Re: building a new PC, and need suggestions on a heatsink

Originally posted by Phate
    I am building a new computer, and im a little short on space. It's being built in an aluminum tool case . I have dual 80 mm Antec smart fans to cool the mobo, and im thinking of putting in another one just to circulate the air. But, i am not sure of a good heatsink/cooler fan for my processor. The proccessor is an AMD Athlon XP 1600 (socket A). Any input is greatly appreciated.
    The "hottest" heatsink at the moment is the Thermalright AX-7 .
    You didn't mention what motherboard you're using and you will need to check it for compatability with your motherboard, as it is big. I personally use an Alpha Pal 8045 and a Thermalright SK-6. Both do excellent jobs and I'm running both with XP1600's on an Abit KR7a raid and Epox 8K7A+ motherboards.