Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dreamhost to begin lowering bandwidth offerings (sorta)

Dreamhost appears to be lowering their bandwidth offerings/ space offerings on a daily basis according to their blog to regain reputation.

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2007/01/03...m-resolutions/

It's just a marketing ploy from what I can see (and obviously working as I'm posting about it) but it's still sorta cute.

Thoughts?

It's just their crazy joke.
    Marketing ploy? I think you are taking them too seriously.

When they start showing photos of sexy female employees instead of drunk male employees, I would consider it as a marketing ploy.

It is a marketing ploy, but time will tell if it actually makes any difference.

Offering 198gb space instead of 200gb space won't change their reputation as a terrible overseller.

It's just their crazy joke.
    Marketing ploy? I think you are taking them too seriously.

When they start showing photos of sexy female employees instead of drunk male employees, I would consider it as a marketing ploy.
    LOL!

I love to read their blog. It is one of my reason of trying DreamHost out.

Quote Originally Posted by VT6

Offering 198gb space instead of 200gb space won't change their reputation as a terrible overseller.
    The main problem for them is if they were to stop overselling, how many customers would it cost them?

Once you start reselling it is hard to stop, some people just think your offering less for more.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Quote Originally Posted by MKHosting
    The main problem for them is if they were to stop overselling, how many customers would it cost them?

Once you start reselling it is hard to stop, some people just think your offering less for more.
    Very few providers would offer massive offerings and then revoke them later on.
    Rather they keep increasing the offerings with all of the other flukes.

Josh managed to create the buzz he wanted

Its obviously just a marketing ploy.

(Don’t worry, once you sign up, your disk and bandwidth allocations will grow weekly just like before!)

Quote Originally Posted by MKHosting

Then wont stop, if you check, they are going to lower the space and bandwidth of the starting package, however, weekly that limit is going to be incresed once you signed up with them (1 GB per week of space and 16 GB of bandwidth per week)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

So it will continue on. No change.

Love how the blogs are written though
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Dreamhost appears to be lowering their bandwidth offerings/ space offerings on a daily basis according to their blog to regain reputation.

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2007/01/03...m-resolutions/

It's just a marketing ploy from what I can see (and obviously working as I'm posting about it) but it's still sorta cute.

Thoughts?

my god... reading their blogs make me dizzy.

they probably read the posts here and are slowly realizing their reputation is not all that good.

Yes it is a marketing ploy no matter what you think, and it has not made me like them anymore or give them any credit.

they are still going to oversell or do whatever it takes and no blog post will change that.
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

overselling how many times should we hear that word i dont say its bad i dont say its good but not that much !! they have ruined their reputation and i hardly think they can get it back !

-Navid N
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!

Quote Originally Posted by VT6

Use them before you bash them.
    Jebus...When would hosts realize that overselling hosts does not make thier own hosting company any better.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

Quote Originally Posted by martint
    Use them before you bash them.
    Jebus...When would hosts realize that overselling hosts does not make thier own hosting company any better.
    sorry to off topic but i think first i dont know when but once they tought its a good idea to 'catch' customers and now they have rouined everything and cant do anything about it ! they cant go from 200GB space to 2gb can they ?!

its a personal idea but thats what happened i think!

Edit : im not saying overselling is bad but in the right way!

Navid N
    Giving up does not always means you are weak, it Simply means you are strong to let go!

Quote Originally Posted by Navid1
    sorry to off topic but i think first i dont know when but once they tought its a good idea to 'catch' customers and now they have rouined everything and cant do anything about it ! they cant go from 200GB space to 2gb can they ?!

its a personal idea but thats what happened i think!

Edit : im not saying overselling is bad but in the right way!

Navid N

Sorry, but WHAT???

1) It's called a marketing ploy and it's obviously working.
    2) 2GB? wtf? They went from 200GB to 198GB!
    3) They ruined nothing, well at least for me. Using them for about 6 months now. All is well and so for many other people.
    hosted by HawkHost
    The OverSeller Defender!

The only negative thing with this is for affiliates, saying that "you get 200 GB of storage" when you in reality get x-GB.

Not that it matters in practical terms, but for affiliate-marketing it can have a (negative) effect.

1) It's called a marketing ploy and it's obviously working.
    I have to agree with that, it's a obviously a marketing ploy and it's working

Well, I changed my view.
    I think it could be a marketing ploy to create these kind of reactions.

I mean, hateful people becomes often so narrow minded and determined to interpret anything in a hateful way that they become predictable.
    So, crazy evil DreamHost might have used these robotic humans (mainly composed of smaller scared hosts) as a sort of mechanical parts to create the buzz, or fuzz....
    And it worked.

By seeing these fanatical haters chanting silly mantras over and over, reasonable happy people would stay away from them, and get interested in DreamHost, and even try them out.
    This way, they get only happy customers and smaller hosts will attract easily disgrunted hateful unhappy people.

If this is what DreamHost planned by the blog, they are not only crazy but pretty clever in utilizing available FREE energy (I mean these fear and hate of smaller hosts).

Of course it is a marketing ploy, you think dreamhost cares what other hosts think. They are laughing all the way to the bank and I don't blame them

How do you generate a sense of urgency for people to sign up? ... Tell them that tomorrow they get less. So they'll sign-up today. That's all it is, a cute way to close a sale and generate some buzz. The rest is fodder for WGT (Web Gossip Talk). Oh yeah, and food for the troll (you know who you are).

- John C.

If anything, you've got to love their twisted slightly deranged sense of humor, especially in that blog. There's some funny subtle stuff in there.

Top marks for their about us section too. Profiles and pics of all their team. That's impressive in my books. You get the impression that they love what they do, but don't take themselves too seriously.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob

Top marks for their about us section too. Profiles and pics of all their team. That's impressive in my books. You get the impression that they love what they do, but don't take themselves too seriously.
    thats exactly why I chose them as my host.
    hosted by HawkHost
    The OverSeller Defender!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    If anything, you've got to love their twisted slightly deranged sense of humor, especially in that blog. There's some funny subtle stuff in there.

They've certainly got something exceptional taking place. They really do prove they're people on the site.

That's attractive to a lot of clients -- robots aren't always the best option.
    I haven't interacted all that much with their support though.

Well I just signed up for an account...200GB (oh wait, 198 GB) of backup storage for my servers =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast