Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* What is best hosting for 100 Wordpress websites ?

A very basic but not-so-simple question. I need advice on hosting for 100 Wordpress based small traffic sites.

Total Wordpress based Websites: 100

Traffic Deatils:
    • Very small to small on 90 websites ( <10 pageviews per day)
    • Medium on 10 websites (~100 pageviews per day)

Required IPs: 5 - 10 (some sites need to be on separate IPs).

My Budget: $100. (Maximum $125).

Uptime Guarantee: Some downtime is acceptable.

cPanel/WHM: Required with root WHM access and SSH access.

What I think: Wordpress websites require too much processing power and RAM, so these two resources should be good in the new hosting. Right now, I am using a 2 GB VPS, but apparantly the CPU on it is a slower one and sometimes the load even reaches 30.0 !!!

Please advise.
      0 Not allowed!

The load problem is probably due to using poorly-coded WordPress plugins (especially many of those silly "SEO" plugins), and a lack of adequate caching -- both in WordPress and on the VPS itself (opcode, memcache, etc). So that will solve that.

Fat chance on 5-10 IP addresses. You need a valie reason. "SEO" is not one of them. (Not to mention multiple IPs for SEO is a myth now, and has been for quite a few years.)

The budget is good, can buy a nice managed VPS with cPanel/WHM. (All VPS come with root access.)

Look at JaguarPC or EuroVPS.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||
      0 Not allowed!

I am currently with "Site5.com"I think they do good job for that what you are asking for.I had only one or two "Service of denial"but it was I think my problem not their.

I can not say"site5.com"is definate choice.I just have good experience with them in terms of tech support and speed of service.You got unlimited websites/unlimited accounts with Cpanel and unlimited storage with them for $9-$10 a month.

Not bad but I can not say"superb".You get what you pay.
      0 Not allowed!

If you sign up a dedicated server, all problems could be solved. With your budget I would recommend the coolhandle dedicated server plan which is less than $100/mo, their server gives all aspects you specifed.
      0 Not allowed!

Root access will be difficult to get on shared hosting plans. Are you sure you need it?

Perhaps splitting up the sites in five separate enterprise hosting accounts could be an option for you. That'd also give you the ip addresses you're looking for. Most hosts however will need justification (e.g. ssl) to hand out more than one dedicated per account.
      0 Not allowed!

A FutureHosting VPS would be ideal for what you want.
      0 Not allowed!

Where do you currently have these sites hosted? The poor performance of your VPS might also have to do with the VPS being oversold (however kpmedia also brings up some valid points which might also be the cause of your problems).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee
      0 Not allowed!

For 100 Wordpress websites? I suggest use a low spec dedicated server with cPanel/WHM and Varnish and remove unnecessary plugins.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

The problem with a dedicated server is it requires at least some management, and getting it done well does cost.

You might be better off getting higher end managed shared hosting or similar; the idea being that you don't have to worry about machine management.

Assuming the $100 is per month!

Why do you think you need root access?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by brianoz View Post
    The problem with a dedicated server is it requires at least some management, and getting it done well does cost.

You might be better off getting higher end managed shared hosting or similar; the idea being that you don't have to worry about machine management.

Assuming the $100 is per month!

Why do you think you need root access?
    I don't know of any Shared hosting provider that lets you host 100 resource hungry WordPress sites all on one account no matter how much you pay them. It just isn't worth it. The provider would prefer the user to use their own VPS/Dedicated server.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    I don't know of any Shared hosting provider that lets you host 100 resource hungry WordPress sites all on one account no matter how much you pay them. It just isn't worth it. The provider would prefer the user to use their own VPS/Dedicated server.
    If the OP was willing to get rid of the need to have Root Access, they could also just go with multiple reseller accounts? I guess we just need a little more information about the OP's current situation (such as where they current have thier VPS hosted at). For all we know, the OP might have 100 sites hosted on a extremely oversold VPS or like Kpmedia pointed out, it could simply be a matter of poorly optimized wordpress sites.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee
      0 Not allowed!

I would definitely look at your plug ins. Wordpress itself is not resource intensive. It doesn't take a lot of disk space, and is efficiently coded. Dump All-in-one-SEO first and see if that works (you can use Yoast's SEO plugin; it helps you write posts that meet the SEO requirements without causing slowdowns with each load.)

You should easily be able to run 100 low volume Wordpress sites on a 2GB VPS.

A reseller account might also work.
      0 Not allowed!

Double check all your sites, get rid of any resource intensive plugins, and move to a better VPS.

Wiredtree is very good and should be able 100 Wordpress sites.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle
      0 Not allowed!

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all your kind responses. Here are the answers to your queries:

1) Currently I am using VPSLatch (apparantly owned by DimeHost). I have a 2 GB VPS there for $45 per month (got in a sale).

2) Yes, the Wordpress sites uses MANY inefficient plugins. All kinds of plugins. Mostly slideshows, photo galleries, etc. Most of the websites are for clients and they need to have those plugins :-(

3) All-in-one-SEO is used on a few sites too but I am shifting every such site to Yaost plugin.

4) Currently there are ONLY 50 websites on that 2 GB VPS.

5) I need at least 4 IPs because some clients require separate IPs. I believe with VPS and Dedicated servers, 4 - 8 IPs come along. So, I will get it in $100-$125.

6) I need root access because sometimes I need to install Apache modules or fix other things. I am programming for 10 years, so I get comfortable with root access.

NEW QUESTIONS:

1) If I go with a dedicated server, which server and where should I go? IS HIVELOCITY GOOD ? They have nice servers in $120 range.

2) If I take unlimited SITE5.COM plan, won't they kick me out ? This plan:
    http://www.site5.com/p/wordpress/

Please advise and thanks everyone for your responses.
      0 Not allowed!

That's a lot of WP sites within 2 GB. Before going up to a server check out WiredTree VPS's. You would get more space for a little more than what your currently paying.

I know with WP depending on the site some use a few plugings and others a whole handful. Just keep an eye on them.

An don't go with anything unlimited space, not worth the hassle.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by shamittomar View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all your kind responses. Here are the answers to your queries:

1) Currently I am using VPSLatch (apparantly owned by DimeHost). I have a 2 GB VPS there for $45 per month (got in a sale).

2) Yes, the Wordpress sites uses MANY inefficient plugins. All kinds of plugins. Mostly slideshows, photo galleries, etc. Most of the websites are for clients and they need to have those plugins :-(

3) All-in-one-SEO is used on a few sites too but I am shifting every such site to Yaost plugin.

5) I need at least 4 IPs because some clients require separate IPs. I believe with VPS and Dedicated servers, 4 - 8 IPs come along. So, I will get it in $100-$125.

6) I need root access because sometimes I need to install Apache modules or fix other things. I am programming for 10 years, so I get comfortable with root access.

NEW QUESTIONS:

1) If I go with a dedicated server, which server and where should I go? IS HIVELOCITY GOOD ? They have nice servers in $120 range.

2) If I take unlimited SITE5.COM plan, won't they kick me out ? This plan:
    http://www.site5.com/p/wordpress/

Please advise and thanks everyone for your responses.
    Since you've already with HostDime, I am suggesting you to upgrade your VPS into a Dedicated Server and stay with them.

Contact someone on their sales team and tell them your stories, I am pretty sure they will be able to help.

And for hardware, go with no less than 4 GB RAM (8 GB preferrable), and make sure that you will be able to upgrade the RAM in the future.

For your new question:

1. Though I am not yet personally tried their service, most words around here says they are pretty good. But your VPS with HostDime is managed by default, and if you are migrating to Hivelocity, you will need to pay extra which will not fit with your budget.

2. I am not sure but I think they will, since it will affect all others customers residing in the same box.
    -
      0 Not allowed!

Being a newbie, I must appreciate the discussion. I learned a lot. I am also planning to launch a WordPress Blog so these hosting details will be an added bonus for me.
      0 Not allowed!

What about using a content delivery network to pass some of the traffic and resources out to? W3 total cache plugin for WordPress works well. Might be worth a shot.

It will enable all of your content to be cached and served from servers around the world, near to the person that's requested it. It only works on static files so things like java, css images etc It also compresses the data using gzip

We use it on one of our sites, the load time without it was 13.75sec down to 3.1sec with it.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, caching Wordpress is definitely a good idea.

Opcode caching (e.g. APC -- Another PHP Cache) is also worth looking into.

Lastly, most mysql installations do not fully optimize query caching and memory caching per default.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by shamittomar View Post

VPSLatch and HostDime both have good reputations; if you can't make it work there, you probably can't make a VPS work anywhere else either.

You should see some improvement by eliminating All-in-one-SEO. Some themes are also very inefficient, using HTML for image resizing for front page sliders, etc. But, you may be stuck with the plug ins your customers install. That may be a problem with a dedicated server as well.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    Some themes are also very inefficient, using HTML for image resizing for front page sliders, etc.
    And unsafe.
    timthumb, for example, was exploited recently.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||
      0 Not allowed!

Sure you will find reliable dedicated for your budget and this should include managed service, cpanel.

Many reputable providers here who is ready to handle your request.
    IrieHost Inc - Professional Web Hosting Provider & Social Network Servers
    VPS • Shared Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Reseller Hosting
    24hrs Support | 30 Days Money Back | 99.99% Uptime
    See you soon @ www.riehost.com
      0 Not allowed!

I would contact East End Hosting and see if they can set you up with a decent dedicated server. I have used them for years and they are top notch. Great prices!
      0 Not allowed!

for that price you can get a managed server with extra ip's
    █ Total Server Solutions
    OnApp Cloud Solutions, CDN, DNS, Load Balancers, and Hybrid Dedicated Servers
    █ Colocation with Colo@
    Visit us at http://www.totalserversolutions.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Buy 25 different shared hosting packages and host 4-5 websites on each. You will get separate IPs as well as low load per account.
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast