Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Enterprise IAAS Provider in Canada

Preface:
    Hi guys, my name is Chase. I currently own and operate a small hosted PBX company located in Canada. We run a piece of software called 4PSA VoipNow Professional (specialized Asterisk), which runs on CentOS Linux. We spent a significant portion of last year’s profit to purchase 3 high-end Dell servers, storage array and switches. The software platform itself is running off OnAPP. While the hardware is working great, we had a significant downtime from our data center. Data Centers Canada was down for over 11 hours. Needless to say, this was extremely detrimental to our business. Thank god there is a backup call routing system in place (located in Edmonton) this only allows for emergency routing to customer’s cell phones however. We lost business, and are now trying to look for a more reliable service/provider. We have a couple options in mind, but enterprise reliability and low latency is key. We were thinking of selling off our current hardware and moving to a cloud solution provider. We also don’t want any mickymouse service providers. We need to be able to pick up the phone and talk to somebody if there is an issue.

Current Options:
    IBM Smartcloud Enterprise (trying to find if this is available in Canada)

Amazon EC2 (We would strongly prefer the service to be located in Canada)

Primus Virtual Managed Machine (very limited knowledge, runs on VMWare)

Softlayer (again located in US, and not sure of the reliability)

I would greatly appreciate any feedback and options. Thank you

Hi Chase:
    Do you have a specific budget that you are working with?
    Amanah Tech Inc.
    151 Front Street, Toronto, Canada
    Affordable Colocation & 100TB Dedicated Servers.
    Email: sales@amanah.com | +1 416 603 9825 X1 | http://www.amanah.com

Quote Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
    Hi Chase:
    Do you have a specific budget that you are working with?
    Since we lost business, I'm trying to minimize costs, but right now we are spending about 400 bucks a month for the colo.

are you looking for a colocation, dedicated or a cloud provider?
    Amanah Tech Inc.

You are currently running your own OnApp cloud but wish to drop it and outsource?

I'm not aware of any Canadian clouds at the moment but there are many options across the US

Quote Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
    You are currently running your own OnApp cloud but wish to drop it and outsource?

I'm not aware of any Canadian clouds at the moment but there are many options across the US
    That's the idea anyways. We are running an entire Cloud.... for 1 service.

Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Hi Chase,
    Data Centers Canada was down for 11 hours due to a bandwidth or power outages?
    I personally think your current setup although maybe a little overkill is probably the most ideal. Have you considered moving to another data center with a better track record?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicarlo View Post
    Hi Chase,
    Data Centers Canada was down for 11 hours due to a bandwidth or power outages?
    I personally think your current setup although maybe a little overkill is probably the most ideal. Have you considered moving to another data center with a better track record?
    Hi Nicarlo, it was due to Network connectivity. They entire data center was down, and they are taking 0 responsibility. Not to mention even their own website AND phones were down.

We couldn't contact anybody there or even see status updates.

and that's my thought exactly, I think our system is a little overkill to run an Asterisk service. IBM Smartcloud would work out to around 200-250 a month.

Whereas it's about $500/month right now for Colo+OnApp licensing

What kind of level of resources do you actually need? (CPU, RAM, Storage, etc?)

Are most of your customers located in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by dediserve View Post
    What kind of level of resources do you actually need? (CPU, RAM, Storage, etc?)

Are most of your customers located in Canada?
    All of our customers are located in canada and we would strongly like to keep our services in canada.

Right now 4gb ram, 2.5ghz min and 60gig hdd would be enough. We have low bandwidth requirements as well. But it needs to be able to scale, and have extremely low latency to our pop in edmonton canada.

As an update, Zunicore looks decent... and has a data center in Toronto.

Really not a fan of their IP address allocation and lack of backup capability though.

you can also check out cartikahosting.com // it is a decent company.
    Amanah Tech Inc.

you can also check out cartikahosting.com // it is a decent company.
    Thanks for the reference. Cartika looks decent as well.

Both Cartika and Zumicore look to be about $200/month for what I'm after.

I guess it all comes down to reliability.

Zumicore is affiliated with PEER 1, who have an excellent network and are extremely reliable. PM me if you want some contact details and I can send them to you.
    UKDirectHost: Dedicated Servers in the UK, USA, Germany, France and Netherlands.
    Cheap Dedicated Servers | PEER 1 Partner
    Payment Methods: Credit/Debit Cards, 2Checkout, UK Bank Transfers, Moneybookers.
    FraudRecord, a collaborative effort to keep track of bad clients. Protects you from known spammers and fraud.

if not mistaken, Cartika is colocating with Peer1 so there should be no problem with the network. You can ask for a free test.
    Amanah Tech Inc.

I can vouch for the Peer1/Zunicore infrastructure and support setup. I know their business extremely well, and have been very impressed with their operations.
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

if not mistaken, Cartika is colocating with Peer1 so there should be no problem with the network. You can ask for a free test.
    we are indeed colocating within the Peer1 facility and have the same network setup as their Zunicore brand. Our cloud infrastructure and platforms significantly varies from theirs however as we use homegrown storage solutions based on oracle ZFS open standards file system and volume manager and our own cloud management interfaces, etc.. Zunicore uses OnApp and a pre-packaged storage platform.

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    I can vouch for the Peer1/Zunicore infrastructure and support setup. I know their business extremely well, and have been very impressed with their operations.
    arent they using your onapp product?
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post

arent they using your onapp product?
    yup - Zunicore/Peer1 is using OnApp, which is why I know their infrastructure from the inside. It's a pretty amazing setup those guys have build over the years.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Quote Originally Posted by eming View Post
    yup - Zunicore/Peer1 is using OnApp, which is why I know their infrastructure from the inside. It's a pretty amazing setup those guys have build over the years.

D
    ok, you are speaking peer1's network? they are ok - I can tell you that our other facilities have better networks and setups. on the whole though, peer1 is ok from a network and facility perspective - we have been happy with them.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

*pull's hair out* I purchased a month with one of the providers listed here to test the services... Several downtimes already and I have not even moved my services over.

I'm getting more and more sceptical about the "cloud". Now it seem's the popular issue is the SAN.

Maybe I have too high of expectations? *shrug*

Zunicore??

sorry to hear that!
    Amanah Tech Inc.

Ah, it wasn't Zunicore... They give a free month. Their control panel is pretty nice, but No Backup and loosing your IP address if you remake the VM is kinda wonky.

SAN is only an issue if its the wrong type, or architected wrong.

The cloud 'works' there are just providers giving the solution a poor reputation due to poor architecture choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasem View Post
    Ah, it wasn't Zunicore... They give a free month. Their control panel is pretty nice, but No Backup and loosing your IP address if you remake the VM is kinda wonky.
    ok - Zunicore is sitting on EMC SAN's...and while all SAN's can fail, their track record is pretty good. ..

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast