Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down ChicagoVPS review

Unlike most, if not all reviews on this website, this is an actual review.

ChicagoVPS has disabled my VPS for more than 4 days now citing using too much CPU as a reason to disable the node. Note that their Terms & Conditions do not mention such a condition other than when using P2P programs of some kind (which is not the case).

ChicagoVPS does not list minimum service levels other than 99.9% (yeah, right!). You are welcome at ChicagoVPS when you do not intend to use their services.

ChicagoVPS also has no phone number. The parent company of ChicagoVPS lists a free phone number which is not owned by them on their website and then there is a different phone number which when you call it tells you that nobody can be reached which seems to suggest they don't even have any office other than some virtual one.

All in all ChicagoVPS seems to be the worst web company I have ever interacted with. Staff is completely retarded, they cannot configure reverse DNS correctly and more of those unforgivable moronic actions.

I sincerely hope that nobody will ever do any business with them, since they cannot be relied on, cannot be reasoned with, and they are too stupid to live. This is the kind of cancerous company that needs to die.

I don't ****ing care how cheap you are if you don't hold to your promises and if your terms and conditions seem to have been written by a three year old and are in direct contradiction with the law under which one is supposed to be operating.

Now, as for some technical information: the I/O speed you get is ridiculously low (it's about 10 times lower than what you would get on a Linode VPS in the cheapest configuration, not counting their recent hardware upgrade). If I had to guess, then the machines run diskless and everything is done via the network to save costs.

All in all, ChicagoVPS is out. Is there any other "service" which comes with no support (but they need to configure reverse-DNS to work, because that's something I cannot do without owning IP addresses) and where they do not kick you out when you just follow the instructions of their Terms & Conditions? I want a ****ing contract which states what one can do and one cannot do and I want guaranteed CPU performance (and if one get somewhat more for free above that, great). Additionally, I would like that whoever owns the business can be called when they really **** things up (like ChicagoVPS has done now).

I do not want to interact with such ****ing idiots anymore and yet not pay too much for things I don't use. All I want is that the ethernet works, and I can put in an ISO remotely or select an operating system from some menu, but being able to run a custom ISO would be of additonal value to me.

I hope this helps someone. I am not affiliated with Linode nor do I think they do everything perfectly (they don't considering that they have been hacked recently). I am not affiliated with any webhoster and all I want is to do business with someone who has specialized in low-end hosting, has automated everything, and in general has their act together. I am sick and tired of these ****ing morons.

Well, I imagine when you try to cram 80-100 2GB VPSes on a node that holds 32-48GB RAM max (according to that leaked DB from awhile back, at least) then having a client try to run anything more intensive than vi would probably spike the node -_-;

Chris is actually banned from here, so you likely won't get a reply from their staff on this thread.. there's a specific Low End forum that he's fairly active on though, if you wanted to chase him down.

Did you ever receive a reason from Chris or Kevin I mean Adam on why they were suspending you?

Re: ChicagoVPS review

Quote Originally Posted by Aldryic C'boas View Post
    Well, I imagine when you try to cram 80-100 2GB VPSes on a node that holds 32-48GB RAM max (according to that leaked DB from awhile back, at least) then having a client try to run anything more intensive than vi would probably spike the node -_-;

Chris is actually banned from here, so you likely won't get a reply from their staff on this thread.. there's a specific Low End forum that he's fairly active on though, if you wanted to chase him down.

Did you ever receive a reason from Chris or Kevin I mean Adam on why they were suspending you?
    Chris is banned on LET too right now, again. In their recent LEB offer they said you coukd have a load of 7.0, I believe, before it was "abuse".

OP, best if luck.
    [ IncogNET LLC ] Privacy By Design [Liberty Lake, WA][Kansas City, MO][Allentown, PA][Naaldwijk, NL]
    [ Web Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names | VPN | Censorship Resistance ]
    Services provided in the United States and Netherlands with privacy and freedom of speech being our top priority.

Ahaha, really? Wow, sounds like I've missed out on some drama then.

But aye - best of luck in finding a better provider to take care of you, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveCake View Post
    all I want is to do business with someone who has specialized in low-end hosting, has automated everything, and in general has their act together.
    To this end, I would recommend checking out RamNode.

Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    To this end, I would recommend checking out RamNode.
    I checked their conditions, and they state that you cannot use it for whatever purpose that you want. If I like to burn CPU cycles, I should be able to do that.

So, the positive point is that they are upfront about this. The negative side is that they don't offer a VPS, but a "you can only run what we want"-VPS.

Also, while we are suggesting alternatives: can it also be a Xen host?

Well since you pay 3-7$ for 2GB vps on a node with 32 GB ram, what else can you expect.

i recommend urpad.net or bluevm.com great price, uptime and support.

So, the positive point is that they are upfront about this. The negative side is that they don't offer a VPS, but a "you can only run what we want"-VPS.
    When's the last time you rented a car for the purpose of entering a demolition derby?

I would count that as another positive, not a negative. A host that cares enough to prohibit and prevent abuse is a host you know you'll have fewer troubles with regarding stability and availability.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriesN View Post
    Well since you pay 3-7$ for 2GB vps on a node with 32 GB ram, what else can you expect.
    How much I pay has nothing to do with what I can expect. They are the ones offering such service (except, you know, they don't deliver).

I don't ****ing care how cheap you are if you don't hold to your promises
    Ah! My mantra is spreading

It's what I always preach on LET and other places, price is not the issue, delivery of what you promise is.

With the likes of Buyvm in the US, Minivps in the UK and Prometeus in Italy any of them could offer me a $5 per year VPS and I would drop a production site on it in a flash without fear whilst many may be too wary due to the price.

You really just need to know who you can trust to look after you.

Even when I hear people complain about the restrictions providers like URPad have on their systems I often wonder whether people even consider performance at all.

I really don't want everyone around me running things like minecraft and that is exactly what you see at Chicagovps, poor performance due to the fairly open policy on what you can run.

Not saying they are bad, for the price they are pretty good, however often the attraction with them seems to be for more intensive things like gaming and so on.

I checked their conditions, and they state that you cannot use it for whatever purpose that you want. If I like to burn CPU cycles, I should be able to do that.
    You are describing a dedicated server, not a VPS. What exactly are you running that violates the ToS at RamNode?

Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    You are describing a dedicated server, not a VPS. What exactly are you running that violates the ToS at RamNode?
    A dedicated server is one that comes with some management and a generally high amount of resources and certainly does not run under a virtualized platform.

Client agrees not to run any programs on his or her VPS which use 90% of any CPU core for an extended period of time or which cause a high CPU load on the host node for an extended period of time. In other words, client agrees not to use the equivalent of a full core for him or herself for an extended period of time.
    I cannot program a computer to do this, because it does not specify what an extended perior of time is. Is every 15 minutes of every hour an extended period of time? If not, then what is? Also when you execute a CPU instruction you are using it for 100% at that small instant of time.

Such conditions mean that such a VPS provider can still kick you out for arbitrary reasons.

I think they just want to hide the fact that they oversell it much more than clients would expect.

I have also seen some services which tell you that you cannot run IRC clients(!) on them. That way you can better just use a webhosting package, because you cannot do anything with it.

I cannot program a computer to do this, because it does not specify what an extended perior of time is. Is every 15 minutes of every hour an extended period of time? If not, then what is? Also when you execute a CPU instruction you are using it for 100% at that small instant of time.
    IONice works wonders. You can always limit your own running services to a percentage of the CPU.

Such conditions mean that such a VPS provider can still kick you out for arbitrary reasons.

I think they just want to hide the fact that they oversell it much more than clients would expect.
    Careful now - you're letting your experience with one bad host prejudice you into unfairly stereotyping the legitimate providers.

I have also seen some services which tell you that you cannot run IRC clients(!) on them. That way you can better just use a webhosting package, because you cannot do anything with it.
    I've seen several hosts that prohibit IRC, either clients or daemons. Tends to be a bit of a DDoS magnet...

A dedicated server is one that comes with some management and a generally high amount of resources and certainly does not run under a virtualized platform.
    I wasn't describing a physical system, but a logical construct.

If you want to be able to do whatever you want, anytime you want, you need a dedicated server.

If you don't need the resources/flexibility of an entire dedicated server and desire the lower price point shared services offer, you may want to consider a VPS.

Correct. Again, a dedicated server may be more appropriate if you do something that gets you booted from a VPS provider.

More than likely.

I have also seen some services which tell you that you cannot run IRC clients(!) on them.
    For good reason, in some cases.

[..] because you cannot do anything with it.
    It would be more accurate to say you cannot do what you want to do. There are plenty of uses for a VPS outside of IRC, or other things prohibited things you might wish to do.

If I like to burn CPU cycles, I should be able to do that.
    Not on a VPS.

You shrugged off the dedicated server suggestion, but that's exactly what you need if your end goal is complete CPU usage freedom. The fact that we limit CPU usage (i.e., abuse) is a good thing. Hosts who do not care about CPU usage in a shared environment are neglecting their clients.

On a related note, we use the general term "extended period" intentionally. I recognize that it's arbitrary, but it allows us to be as flexible as possible in each situation to the benefit of the client.

I think what Aldryic said is true. You are looking at other, reputable hosts in a very negative light after a bad experience at a different host.
    RamNode - High Performance Cloud VPS
    SSD Cloud and Shared Hosting
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Deploy on our SSD cloud today! - www.ramnode.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
    Not on a VPS.

You shrugged off the dedicated server suggestion, but that's exactly what you need if your end goal is complete CPU usage freedom. The fact that we limit CPU usage (i.e., abuse) is a good thing. Hosts who do not care about CPU usage in a shared environment are neglecting their clients.

On a related note, we use the general term "extended period" intentionally. I recognize that it's arbitrary, but it allows us to be as flexible as possible in each situation to the benefit of the client.

I think what Aldryic said is true. You are looking at other, reputable hosts in a very negative light after a bad experience at a different host.
    So, would running a search engine be abuse? I.e. scraping massive amounts of data (legally) and putting it in a database?

How about data feeds for e.g. financial markets which inherently take up quite a bit of CPU to process?

How about running a version of Openstreet Maps?

Really, I have the impression that the answer is all "no" to these things. So, which services do you still have left then that would not be served by a web-hosting package? Perhaps "backup" would be one such application, but there are special "backup" VPSs for that.

Like I said before: it seems that you are not allowed to do anything more with such a VPS than one could do with a normal web-hosting package, because once you start to use it, you consider it to be costing more for you than that it generates, so you annoy the client as long until he leaves.

We have thousands of clients running anything from VPNs to game servers to remote desktops, and of course web hosting, inter alia, all within the constraints of our AUP. I'm not aware of any negative reviews concerning our CPU limits or performance. You seem intent on redefining generally accepted notions about VPS hosting when you really should be looking for another kind of service

We have thousands of clients running anything from VPNs to game servers to remote desktops, and of course web hosting, inter alia, all within the constraints of our AUP. I'm not aware of any negative reviews concerning our CPU limits or performance. You seem intent on redefining generally accepted notions about VPS hosting when you really should be looking for another kind of service
    You didn't provide an answer for each of the 3 examples I have given so I am going to assume that you would *not* be OK with using it for such purposes.

You didn't provide an answer for each of the 3 examples I have given so I am going to assume that you would *not* be OK with using it for such purposes.
    I don't think any of the 3 things you have mentioned would be an issue on their own but whichever way you look at it you are still "sharing" resources with others.

If you start to keep to big a slice to yourself then any provider will question that. Really don't see what your issue is with this.

Your point seems to be that we are very restrictive and I am trying to make it clear that that is not the case by giving you a wide variety of uses we commonly see You've reviewed our AUP yourself and you can see those examples are not listed as prohibited. I'm not here to go over each hypothetical situation with you because, as the AUP is meant to imply, "it depends." If you can do those things without degrading the services of others, go for it. If not, grab a dedi

Your point seems to be that we are very restrictive and I am trying to make it clear that that is not the case by giving you a wide variety of uses we commonly see You've reviewed our AUP yourself and you can see those examples are not listed as prohibited. I'm not here to go over each hypothetical situation with you because, as the AUP is meant to imply, "it depends." If you can do those things without degrading the services of others, go for it. If not, grab a dedi
    In the case of a search engine, either network will be limited, disk I/O, or the CPU. Pretty much by definition it will take all that it can grab. Depending on the hardware this might then be noticable by other users or not. For example, if the disk I/O is really slow, then the CPU will be able to work on CPU heavy tasks for other users. As such, without knowing the hardware and other applications that are running in question, it is impossible to answer this question. You might be able to do some scheduling such that all heavy users don't share a node for example, but the basic issue remains that at some point you would call it abuse. I think a CPU bucket based scheduling system would work much better where you define beforehand how many everyone has.

Unlike most, if not all reviews on this website, this is an actual review.
    I stopped reading here. The statement is clearly false, which leaves me with no faith in anything else you have to say.

Like I said, the point of our system is flexibility. I'll leave it at that Good luck wherever you end up.

Regardless, what I want to remind WHT members is that there are always two sides to every story, and ChicagoVPS has done the same thing every other VPS host would do, no VPS host would allow things like CPU mining and eat CPU cycles as it inevitably affects other neighbors on the node.

Please note that Chris is not banned from LET like Curtis says... however he is indeed banned from WHT due to a misunderstanding between the two. As the owner (Chris) is banned from WHT, ChicagoVPS is not allowed to publicly represent the company anywhere on WHT - so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks,

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast