Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs down Low Blow by DreamHost

Hello All,
    I was disturbed by a posting on DreamHosts blog. I try to stay current on hosting news and sometimes it involves looking at others Blogs. This example is not NOT to treat a customer

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2009/04/27...ull-ever-hear/

Even though the customer contacted the wrong department, this is NOT the way to handle these issues. I have personally received calls on my personal cell phone because they found it on one of the domains I own (whois I assume). I still take the call and work with the customer to resolve. I will never even think about doing this. Your Thoughts?
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat
      0 Not allowed!

I think that was very unprofessional of them. I don't know what they were thinking. It's a paying customer.

It will be rather interesting to see how this thread develops. I am sure that there will be people saying it's no big deal...
      0 Not allowed!

I can't believe that they uploaded that audio to everybody's fun, that's incredible cruel. What a bunch of idiots.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    I can't believe that they uploaded that audio to everybody's fun, that's incredible cruel. What a bunch of idiots.
    Based on their customers responses, they did not find it funny, Childish and Unprofessional are 2 phrases that come to most minds
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

Agreed. What the hell were they thinking?
      0 Not allowed!

I agree it was not professional of the host to post this, nor was it very compassionate. As if the guy didn't have enough problems with his domain being stolen, he is now subject to public ridicule by his host.

I feel very bad for the man - certainly some may feel it is a small thing, but until something like this has happened to you, you don't really know how it feels. This has happened to me, and it is more of a feeling of 'violation' than anything else (money, time, wasted effort, etc.).

Adding to the indignity of course is the fact that he now will have to go through the ordeal of trying to get his domain name back. Not an easy task, and even more difficult due to the language barrier/issue.

My thoughts are with this man, and I hope he is successful in getting his domain back. Good luck to you, sir.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cedricd View Post
    Agreed. What the hell were they thinking?
    Mabey they just wanted to be featured on WHT? (I don think this is what they intended)
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

That is 100% unprofessional. I really feel bad for that guy, he is obviously from a foreign country and to be treated like that by a hosting provider, that is very sad.

He is obviously very upset, and just to treat someone and upload their call on a public blog is just crazy.
      0 Not allowed!

Glad I don't use dreamhost if that's how they treat customers.
      0 Not allowed!

It's a bit over the top even considering DreamHost's usual anything-goes attitude.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not sure if that's even real, but if it is, shows how much they care about their customers.
    cPanel Hosting
    Site5.com - Best support in the hosting business!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jphilipson View Post
    I'm not sure if that's even real, but if it is, shows how much they care about their customers.
    It's 100% real in my opinion.

They posted another one back in August 2006.
    http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/08/16...sckn-spammers/

Please note this has explicit content. Do not listen if you don't want to hear the explicit language.
    Last edited by JDrago1926; 05-03-2009 at 11:04 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin LD View Post

Is dreamhost run by a bunch of immature kids?
      0 Not allowed!

WOW Those recordings are not something that you should post (as for language alone)
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by cedricd View Post
    Is dreamhost run by a bunch of immature kids?
    It's how they've always operated and so far it's brought them much success. I'm not saying I agree with it though.
      0 Not allowed!

I am glad to see that everyone so far has agreed that it was totally unprofessional. I also feel bad for that man, hope he gets his domain name back.

Does anyone feel even slightly, that the actions by DreamHost were acceptable?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tank71 View Post
    I am glad to see that everyone so far has agreed that it was totally unprofessional. I also feel bad for that man, hope he gets his domain name back.

While I agress that there may not have been much that DreamHost could have done if they were not the domain register, but without knowing that I cant say for sure.

It was completely un-ethical to post this on their blog. Their actions were childish and unprofessional. It is stupid for a company to post this when it could cause them to loose potential customers.
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

Please note this has explicit content. Do not listen if you don't want to hear the explicit language.

Both of the recordings they posted would be one of the reasons why I will never use dreamhost.

There customer service is so poor. Almost as poor as there hosting. It was completely unprofessional to post that voice mail.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dlewis23 View Post
    Both of the recordings they posted would be one of the reasons why I will never use dreamhost.

There customer service is so poor. Almost as poor as there hosting. It was completely unprofessional to post that voice mail.
    Well it says alot about how their customers privacy is respected
    Keith I Myers
      0 Not allowed!

I have seen a lot of bad stuff on WHT about DreamHost over the years. This really does not surprise me.

You would think that with the size of their client base, even though they are a budget host, they would show a bit more professional courtesy.

BTW: New Account, Ive been here for many years.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tank71 View Post
    Totally unacceptable and unprofessional behavior by Dreamhost. The blog entry was done in extremely poor taste. The author (Brett J) of the Dreamhost blog is acting like a junior high school bully.

So is this Brett J guy?

I feel for the man on the tape.

0 Not allowed!

They've always employed un-orthodox methods to gain publicity, this is just one of them, and you're only helping them with their notoriety

... But I agree, this is unprofessional, then again, the hosting industry does seem to have a certain level of puerile attitude attached to it.
      0 Not allowed!

I found it 100% dispicable. I can't believe they would do this to a poor customer and it just goes to show you how some people view customer service. If they wanted to exemplify why you should have strong passwords, they didn't need to post the recording. They could have just told this guy's story. I used DH for one year and it was bad (slow sites, email issues). I never had to deal with their service department. However, after seeing that even knowing that they side on the side of immature rather than professional, I would never recommend them and in fact do the complete opposite. I am thoroughly disgusted.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.
      0 Not allowed!

Agreed, very cruel indeed.
    HostMonkey | Your kingdom starts here. (tweet us @HostMonkeynet)
    Affordable and Reliable Shared Hosting, VPS Servers, and Dedicated Servers
    OpenVZ, SolusVM CP, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7x365 Support
    Server Reseller Program: significant discounts, to increase your profits!
      0 Not allowed!

I can only imagine what they would do with the data that their customers keep with them. I wouldn't be surprised if they start posting customers personal emails next. What a crappy host.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast