Thread: Why get VPS?...

Why get VPS?...

When you can get your own server? I've seen VPS for the same or more than a dedicated server, so why should you pick the VPS over the server?

VPS packages can be had for far less than a dedicted server.
    I assume then you mean why pick a expensive VPS over a low end dedicated server?
    Simple: Quality of hardware.
    A portion of a higher end system, can be more reliable/powerful, than a full lower end dedicated server.
    Not to mention immediate virtual reboots, repairs, and restores are one slick feature...
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Ah, I see. So you're saying that a VPS on like a Duel Xeon 3.0 with 6-8gb RAM is faster and better than a server you could get for the same price with 512MB RAM and a Celeron 2.0? Also, what does it mean when you have "burstable RAM to *insert number* mb RAM"?

Right, that could be the case...
    Possibly not faster maybe, but more reliable.
    Most VPS machines have raid drive configuration, redundant power supplies, etc.
    Your run of the mill $99 dedicated server does not.

Burstable means, you are guaranteed a set amount, but are able to use more based on what the system has available at the time, up to a certain point.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Also you will find quite a lot of VPS companies handel your backups and managment of the server for you. Not many dedicated companies do both of those things

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

How much will a dedicated server who allows you to have
    - up to 2GB of ECC memory
    - up to Dual XEON CPU 2.8-3.2 GHz
    - RAID 5 SCSI3 10000-15000 rpm drives
    - server-grade servers

For a fraction of a cost, you get all this in a VPS. Or for the same price, you can get:
    - generic low end PC-turned-into-server server
    - slow IDE drive (5400-7200 rpm)
    - no RAID
    - weaker/slower CPU
    - low grade non-ECC memory
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

I see, thanks. So I should get VPS and then, when I can afford it, get a Duel Xeon or so?

What will you be using your VPS for?
    The performance of a VPS also depends on how many people are sharing that particular server with you. If your DC puts you on VPS that is shared by many, this will cause poor performance. All it takes is one client on the VPS to ruin it for others by over-using the resources. Be careful...

It all depends on what your using the VPS for....

I see...but I'm told that if one client screws it up it'll only affect his portion of the VPS. I'm planning on giving out hosting from my VPS.

Originally posted by klarth
    I see...but I'm told that if one client screws it up it'll only affect his portion of the VPS. I'm planning on giving out hosting from my VPS.
    That's only if you're the host providing the VPSes... What you do in your VPS will not affect other customers on the same physical server.