Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

StyleXnetworks review - Terrible.

Hello,

I rarely post negative reviews because with the amount of competition I can just cancel and go elsewhere. But StyleXNetwork is so terrible I just had to speak up.

I don't just run benchmarks all day looking for problems. I use this VPS for a few things and I notice problems with performance which makes me investigate.

I have been a customer since June of 2012 (I paid for 6 months and renewed it once that is why I have not cancelled yet)

------
    Invoice 201206XXX
    Date of Invoice 21/06/2012
    Due Date 21/06/2012
    -------

The Plan:
    Single Core
    256MB of memory
    10GB Disk (1GB of which is forced as swap which is fine though would be nice to use a bit less for swap)

The problems:
    -Poor Disk IO. This is the biggest problem. 10-20 IOPS and 5-50MB/s disk write (50 is fine if it was consistent)
    -Server randomly gets shutdown and does not come back up unless you boot it up from within the panel.
    -Support (see below)
    -Network unstable. Month by Month this VPS sits at 95%-96% uptime according to both pingdom and StatusCake.

Support:

Useless. You open a ticket and they blame you right away.

For the VPS being shut down all the time they claimed I hit reboot using the control panel and that it got "locked" I have never rebooted this VPS since I got it except from within the vps itself using the reboot command. I tried explaining that to them and they come right back saying the exact same thing. It is like a robot is answering your tickets using a keyword search in your ticket.

As for the performance problems with IO I have been told various stories. From the fact the SAN is junk and they are replacing it to the fact that it is a problem with my VPS. Sometimes they will provide the same test from the node showing decent results and I try it and it is fine for a while. So obviously they fixed it but instead of just saying it they pretend like nothing happened.

Some Example tests done at random times:

./ioping -c 10 .
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=1 time=0.3 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=2 time=32.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=3 time=50.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=4 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=5 time=0.0 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=6 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=7 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=8 time=610.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=9 time=50.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=10 time=0.7 ms

--- . (ext3 /dev/xvda1) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9748.7 ms, 13 iops, 0.1 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.0/74.7/610.7/179.8 ms

./ioping -c 10 .
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=2 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=3 time=2.8 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=4 time=433.6 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=5 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=6 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=7 time=1.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=8 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=9 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=10 time=0.9 ms

10 requests completed in 9442.7 ms, 23 iops, 0.1 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.3/44.1/433.6/129.8 ms

Conclusion: Poorly managed, Poor support, VERY slow nodes and SAN. I will never use them again, I would suggest you go with a 1 month test run before putting anything into production.

I provided my root password to them and they said they would escalate to an engineer. They closed the ticket. When I reopened the ticket here is the response I received:

-------------------
    The ticket get closed automatically we are sorry for that ,
    however regarding your IO problem your package is limited resources and if there is a load you automatically get throttled on CPU which cause the IO problem , We highly recommend that you upgrade to one of our normal packages,
    -------------------

My cpu usage is 0.00 to 0.07 so I can't see this being a factor.

I am cancelling and moving on. I just wanted to post this here in the hopes no one else falls for this junk.

Quote Originally Posted by luma View Post
    Hello,

I rarely post negative reviews because with the amount of competition I can just cancel and go elsewhere. But StyleXNetwork is so terrible I just had to speak up.

I don't just run benchmarks all day looking for problems. I use this VPS for a few things and I notice problems with performance which makes me investigate.

I have been a customer since June of 2012 (I paid for 6 months and renewed it once that is why I have not cancelled yet)

------
    Invoice 201206XXX
    Date of Invoice 21/06/2012
    Due Date 21/06/2012
    -------

The Plan:
    Single Core
    256MB of memory
    10GB Disk (1GB of which is forced as swap which is fine though would be nice to use a bit less for swap)

The problems:
    -Poor Disk IO. This is the biggest problem. 10-20 IOPS and 5-50MB/s disk write (50 is fine if it was consistent)
    -Server randomly gets shutdown and does not come back up unless you boot it up from within the panel.
    -Support (see below)
    -Network unstable. Month by Month this VPS sits at 95%-96% uptime according to both pingdom and StatusCake.

Support:

Useless. You open a ticket and they blame you right away.

For the VPS being shut down all the time they claimed I hit reboot using the control panel and that it got "locked" I have never rebooted this VPS since I got it except from within the vps itself using the reboot command. I tried explaining that to them and they come right back saying the exact same thing. It is like a robot is answering your tickets using a keyword search in your ticket.

As for the performance problems with IO I have been told various stories. From the fact the SAN is junk and they are replacing it to the fact that it is a problem with my VPS. Sometimes they will provide the same test from the node showing decent results and I try it and it is fine for a while. So obviously they fixed it but instead of just saying it they pretend like nothing happened.

Some Example tests done at random times:

./ioping -c 10 .
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=2 time=32.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=3 time=50.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=4 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=5 time=0.0 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=6 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=7 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=8 time=610.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=9 time=50.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=10 time=0.7 ms

10 requests completed in 9748.7 ms, 13 iops, 0.1 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.0/74.7/610.7/179.8 ms

./ioping -c 10 .
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=2 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=3 time=2.8 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=4 time=433.6 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=5 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=6 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=7 time=1.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=8 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=9 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=10 time=0.9 ms

10 requests completed in 9442.7 ms, 23 iops, 0.1 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.3/44.1/433.6/129.8 ms

Conclusion: Poorly managed, Poor support, VERY slow nodes and SAN. I will never use them again, I would suggest you go with a 1 month test run before putting anything into production.

I provided my root password to them and they said they would escalate to an engineer. They closed the ticket. When I reopened the ticket here is the response I received:

-------------------
    The ticket get closed automatically we are sorry for that ,
    however regarding your IO problem your package is limited resources and if there is a load you automatically get throttled on CPU which cause the IO problem , We highly recommend that you upgrade to one of our normal packages,
    -------------------

My cpu usage is 0.00 to 0.07 so I can't see this being a factor.

I am cancelling and moving on. I just wanted to post this here in the hopes no one else falls for this junk.
    I apologize for the inconvenience, do you have a ticket # I can refer to?
    StyleX Networks - Fully Managed Cloud VPS
    Sales: 1-855-4STYLEX (478-9539)
    Email: sales@stylexnetworks.com
    Twitter: @StyleXNetworks

I went ahead and reviewed as many tickets as I could within the past 24 hours and I came across your ticket.

To begin with your machine has limited resources with extremely low CPU priority. This is the main cause of your machine's performance issues in addition to other factors such as your machine's configuration, etc that could be causing this. I have attached 2 graphs showing your CPU usage. Currently your plan has only 1 core and 2% priority. Given the CPU specs of your plan your CPU usage is way too high, therefore effecting your performance.

A test done on the same Hypervisor you are on, even though it does not matter which Hypervisor as they are all connected to a SAN storage:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=512 conv=fdatasync;rm -rf test
    512+0 records in
    512+0 records out
    536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 3.93224 seconds, 137 MB/s

/root/ioping-0.6/ioping -c 10 .
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=1 time=0.3 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=2 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=3 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=4 time=1.0 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=5 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=6 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=7 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=8 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=9 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=10 time=1.0 ms

--- . (ext3 /dev/root) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9037.9 ms, 1756 iops, 6.9 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.3/0.6/1.0/0.2 ms

Whenever there is an issue reported, our engineers always check everything on a global level. They check the Hypervisors, SAN storage, network, etc. If they do find something on a global level that is effecting performance, they have no issue admitting it. The next step would be to check the machine it self that is having performance issues.

Let me say that the above results that you are getting are terrible, if this was a global issue we would have had more than one customer contact us and complain. In this case you are the only one.

At this point you were not cooperating with the engineer and constantly arguing back and forth and would not give him access to your machine.

When you did grant us access to your machine, you were being rude and sarcastic towards our staff.

In regards to the ticket closing, the second engineer that took over had left the ticket's status as answered which caused the ticket to close automatically when the cron ran. I fully take responsibility for this and I apologize.

However if you are contacting us for assistance, arguing with the engineer will only delay the troubleshooting process and make things much more complicated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 1.39.49 PM.png  

So to update this thread.

The CEO replied to my ticket (and to this post) indicating that I am using too much cpu.

The funny thing is my VPS is Idle. It is no longer running ANYTHING. No services are running on it. It is a clean install of Debian 6.0 32bit.

14:24:37 up 5 days, 16:12, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Yet according to the CEO this is too much. And I am abusing the service.

So there you have it. StyleXNetwork. Great for letting a VPS idle all day but that is it.
    Last edited by luma; 04-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.

So to update this ticket.

The CEO replied to my ticket (and to this post) indicating that I am using too much cpu.

The funny thing is my VPS is Idle. It is no longer running ANYTHING. No services are running on it. It is a clean install of Debian 6.0 32bit.

14:24:37 up 5 days, 16:12, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Yet according to the CEO this is too much. And I am abusing the service.

So there you have it. StyleXNetwork. Great for letting a VPS idle all day but that is it.
    The graph that was attached earlier was not made up. It was directly taken from OnApp. Based on your usage and current CPU priority limits you are using too much. Whether your machine is idle or not, I am simply calculating your usage based on the graph that was directly pulled from OnApp.

We also never stated anything in regards to "abusing resources", we simply stated that you are exhausting your resources which is directly effecting your performance.

I cannot change the fact that your machine is having performance issues due to limited resources.

If an idle vps is using too many resources why don't you provide a refund?

It is fraud. I can't use the service. Hence I am not getting what I am paying for.

If an idle vps is using too many resources why don't you provide a refund?

It is fraud. I can't use the service. Hence I am not getting what I am paying for.
    An idle machine is using too much resources because the resource allocation is very small to begin with.

Again back to CPU usage, I cannot vouch for the fact that your machine is at idle or not. I can only go by facts, based on your graph your CPU is too high for your cpu allocation.

Everything we say you consider us "blaming" you. We are simply stating the root cause of your issue.

I have looked at your history and you have been with us for more than 1 year. Our environment has been consistent, nothing has changed. However all of a sudden you are experiencing performance issues which is directly in result of high cpu usage based on the graph pulled from OnApp.

Please clarify how this is "fraud".
    Last edited by Stylex Networks; 04-25-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stylex Networks View Post
    An idle machine is using too much resources because the resource allocation is very small to begin with.

Please clarify how this is "fraud".
    It is fraud because you have limited the resources to the point that an idle vps is using too many resources in turn making it 100% useless.

It is fraud because you have limited the resources to the point that an idle vps is using too many resources in turn making it 100% useless.
    I am not sure if I understand you correctly. Your plan comes with 256MB of RAM, 11GB disk space, 1 core and 2% guaranteed.

Your machine has 256MB of RAM, 1 core - only 2% usage guaranteed, and 11GB disk space. How are we limiting your resources?

We use Xen for our virtualization, RAM is dedicated not guaranteed. CPU, % is guaranteed. Burst is also allowed, however fair usage. Since your % guaranteed is very low, you will be throttled at times when your CPU usage is too high.

I can understand if you experienced these issues a week or two after singing up with us, however you have been with us for more than a year. Our environment has stayed consistent and so has our virtualization and our CPU allocation logic.
    Last edited by Stylex Networks; 04-25-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Right back to the reason for this thread:

10 requests completed in 9406.0 ms, 25 iops, 0.1 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.3/40.4/169.4/61.1 ms

How is that not limiting my resources? 25 iops? a floppy drive is around that.

Right back to the reason for this thread:

10 requests completed in 9406.0 ms, 25 iops, 0.1 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.3/40.4/169.4/61.1 ms

How is that not limiting my resources? 25 iops? a floppy drive is around that.
    That is not the case, your CPU usage is too high due to limited CPU allocation which is directly effecting your performance.

The graph above clearly shows that based on your current CPU allocation your usage is too high, therefore you are throttled constantly based on your limits.

Again you mention that your machine is at idle, however the graph above states otherwise.

Again, My vps is Idle. So if by being Idle it is being limited down to 25 iops that is fraud because it means I can't use it for anything at all.

What is the point of a VPS that is over using resources when Idle?

What can I run on this?

Again, My vps is Idle. So if by being Idle it is being limited down to 25 iops that is fraud because it means I can't use it for anything at all.

What is the point of a VPS that is over using resources when Idle?

What can I run on this?
    I think you are missing the point. Based on your usage on the first part of the graph, your machine isn't at idle.

Last time I checked It was not possible for load average to go into the Negative so I am not sure how this is not Idle:

14:58:32 up 5 days, 16:46, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Last time I checked It was not possible for load average to go into the Negative so I am not sure how this is not Idle:

14:58:32 up 5 days, 16:46, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    The graph clearly say otherwise, that your machine is not at idle.

I apologize however we can't perform any miracles. Based on your usage, your resources are too little and are directly effecting your performance. At this point the only solution is to upgrade your resources.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 4.00.35 PM.png  
    Last edited by Stylex Networks; 04-25-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Re: StyleXnetworks review - Terrible.

I have 8 cores.. 4gb ram check if my result is good or what

root@server [~]# ioping -c 10 /

4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=1 time=1.1 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=2 time=57.8 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=3 time=1.2 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=4 time=1.3 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=5 time=0.7 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=6 time=0.8 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=7 time=1.3 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=8 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=9 time=2.4 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=10 time=2.5 ms

--- / (ext3 /dev/xvda1) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9072.0 ms, 144 iops, 0.6 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.6/7.0/57.8/17.0 ms
    root@server [~]#
    Freelance Web Designer & Web Host
    Dotcommakers- Animated banners, Website Templates, WordPress Themes - me [at] rakesh.in
    The Reliable Host - Shared & Reseller hosting
    End user support | CloudFlare | SEO Tools | Daily backups on 2 locations

And this

root@server [~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1M count=512 conv=fdatasync;rm -rf test
    512+0 records in
    512+0 records out
    536870912 bytes (537 MB) copied, 8.32108 s, 64.5 MB/s
    root@server [~]#

144 iops is around what a single modern spinny drive will get (7200rpm)

So is it bad? no, good for a server? not really.

My other VPS (low end to high end) with various providers found on these forums give me 500 to 3000 iops.

Quote Originally Posted by rakeshraja View Post

root@server [~]#

root@server [~]# ioping -c 10 /

4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=1 time=1.1 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=2 time=57.8 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=3 time=1.2 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=4 time=1.3 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=5 time=0.7 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=6 time=0.8 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=7 time=1.3 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=8 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=9 time=2.4 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=10 time=2.5 ms

root@server [~]#
    Open a support ticket and I will have an engineer take a look this. However there can be many factors at a local level effecting this. We don't know what is running on your machine and what configurations it has, very difficult to judge.

Tests were ran on a global level on our Hypervisors:

/root/ioping-0.6/ioping -c10 .
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=1 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=2 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=3 time=0.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=4 time=0.3 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=5 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=6 time=0.3 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=7 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=8 time=0.8 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=9 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=10 time=0.7 ms

--- . (ext3 /dev/root) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9034.9 ms, 1852 iops, 7.2 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.3/0.5/0.8/0.2 ms

Tried again and it give me

root@server [~]# ioping -c 10 /4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=1 time=0.4 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=2 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=3 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=4 time=0.5 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=5 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=6 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=7 time=0.9 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=8 time=0.7 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=9 time=0.6 ms
    4096 bytes from / (ext3 /dev/xvda1): request=10 time=0.9 ms

10 requests completed in 9008.7 ms, 1581 iops, 6.2 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.4/0.6/0.9/0.1 ms
    root@server [~]#
    Dotcommakers- Animated banners, Website Templates, WordPress Themes - me [at] rakesh.in

To StyleXNetworks, try may be couple times. It always give different results.

To StyleXNetworks, try may be couple times. It always give different results.
    I will follow up here once the engineer checking this issue gets back to me. As of now I cannot say anything, we don't know what is on your machine or what configurations it has, therefore it would be very difficult to judge.

Please follow up on the ticket for further assistance.

Sounds like their servers are inconsistent.
    The 47 Ronin Gaming: www.47r-squad.com
    Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Quote Originally Posted by IcEWoLF View Post
    Sounds like their servers are inconsistent.
    Again, since we do not know what is running on the machine or what configurations it has I cannot say anything.

The inconsistency could very well be at a local level.

Will follow up on this shortly.

Our findings in addition to results will be posted once we have permission from rakeshraja.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast