UK payment processors

any good ones out there besides NOCHEX and fastpay?

WorldPay are very good, we've been with them for 3+ years now.

www.worldpay.com
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

Are you looking for a third party processor or your own merchant account?

proberly third party, please dont mention pay pal.

There are quite a few. Actually I would suggest Paypal in conjunction with a processor. worldpay is one - some have had some problems with them, but it could be a good start

Worldpay was not working at all overnight UK time. Don;t know what the problem was but we only took $30 on paypal overnight.
    WP does tend to go like this occasionally which is why we are moving toa different integration method that bypasses their payment pages (only available to companies with a large turnover).

I would seriously suggest using paypal to start with as their system now does not require a two stage process and its very cheap compared to a UK merchant account plus processing.
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

I did actually say dont say paypal bu never mind

most be more then just paypal out there.

ive had alot of bad experience with paypal in the past so i closed the account then when i went to re register it, it wouldnt accept my card so i try a different card and it dont accept that one either and no there aint nothing wrong with my cards i use them all the time. so i just gave up with paypal, for the past 2 years been using NOCEHX no problems

just wondered if there was anymore out there?

You could also look at http://www.protx.com/
    Jo Stonehouse - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

Originally posted by KualoJo
    You could also look at http://www.protx.com/
    There a nice company if you process alot of transacions per month. but wot if u dont get any sales for that month you still end up paying £20 hehe.

anymore?

EDIT: http://www.mals-e.com/services/thirdparty.htm here is a list I have found, is there more then this?
    Last edited by Flumps; 08-05-2004 at 09:37 AM.

You will need your own Merchant Account for Protx.
    Regards, Sam. www.protecweb.co.uk
    Windows Shared and Reseller Hosting with ASP.Net, MS SQL 2008, PHP, MySQL5 and more.
    Providing quality web hosting and support since 2001.

You need your own merchant account for Worldpay as well.
    Its just that if you don't have one they will apply for one for you.
    They call this World direct but it is not third party processing
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd

Worldpay offers third party processing and you do NOT need your own merchant account if you don´t want.

No they do not!
    No tin the Uk anyway.
    maybe they do in the US.

In the UK if you apply for a worldpay account and you donot have a merchant account they forward your application to Natwest Streamline and you are issued with a proper Visa/Mastercard merchant ID.

This is how it works.
    They are not keen for you to know that thats how they have done it, but that is how they do it.
    If you apply for other merchant accounts you will soon find out you already have a merchant ID.

Trust me, i'm a web host.

Originally posted by GordonH
    No they do not!
    No tin the Uk anyway.
    maybe they do in the US.

In the UK if you apply for a worldpay account and you donot have a merchant account they forward your application to Natwest Streamline and you are issued with a proper Visa/Mastercard merchant ID.

This is how it works.
    They are not keen for you to know that thats how they have done it, but that is how they do it.
    If you apply for other merchant accounts you will soon find out you already have a merchant ID.

Trust me, i'm a web host.
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know this, thought they provided everything and was 3rd party like how 2checkout does it, I was considering using worldpay in the future but this has put worldpay in the "may be" pile.

what's the implication of this? Does it mean that you end up with a merchant account without paying the £25 a month? or is a merchant ID not much use if you transfer to another system?

I am actually not sure about the transferability.
    We got our AMEX account through them free as part of a promotion at one time and I know that its transferable because AMEX would not let us get another one.

I should say that in the UK banks don't charge per month for merchant accounts (not any of the banks we use)

Who do you bank with??? No monthly charge?!?

Bank of Scotland.

and they seriously provide merchant accounts for free? if so, I'm heading straight down to my local branch! interesting that Bank of Scotland also underwrite WorldPay. Are there any other charges you have to pay? I'll definitely follow this up. in fact, do they have the info on their website? with hsbc you have to make an appointment with a business advisor and it takes weeks just to find out the cost.

Gordon, thanks for the tip. I Looked into it today and the Bank of scotland fees are as follows:

£150 setup
    2.8% transaction discount
    40p debit card transaction fee

on top of this you then need to add the PSP fees. SecPay looks the cheapest to me, but it's no cheaper than a 3rd party payment solution in total.

ie 1.9% and 39p.

that means on a transaction of £1 i could end up paying 4.7% and 79p in transaction fees. Leaving me about 15 pence! Add £200 for all the setup charges. Hmmm... how is this cheaper than a 3rd party processor?

What PSP are you using Gordon? I think you mentioned Worldpay. thanks.