Backing up while webhost is down

If you forgot to back your content up, sometimes it IS possible to retrieve it when your webhost is down & both URL & IP addresses don't work [this will not work with all hosts!]

1. If you don't know what your webhost's IP address is, go to this site & look it up by typing in the address of your webhost.

2. Login using the IP address as the address. Use the same username & password that you signed up with in the first place.

All of your files should be there. Unfortunately, you won't have access to any database files, unless you backed them up or they were backed up automatically & saved in a zip file. You should have access to your mail folder, so you can save any emails you want.

I figured I'd post this here, because I told some others to do this. They needed their sites up right away & these steps worked perfectly for them. This is especially good if you plan on switching webhosts right away.

Good luck!

I checked something out...you can in fact get access to your databases if you have CPanel!

IPaddress/cpanel - then type in your username & password.
    TYCP Media Inc. - an entertainment media company
    TYCP Magazine - an online entertainment magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Shaliza
    If you forgot to back your content up, sometimes it IS possible to retrieve it when your webhost is down & both URL & IP addresses don't work [this will not work with all hosts!]

1. If you don't know what your webhost's IP address is, go to this site & look it up by typing in the address of your webhost.

2. Login using the IP address as the address. Use the same username & password that you signed up with in the first place.

All of your files should be there. Unfortunately, you won't have access to any database files, unless you backed them up or they were backed up automatically & saved in a zip file. You should have access to your mail folder, so you can save any emails you want.

I figured I'd post this here, because I told some others to do this. They needed their sites up right away & these steps worked perfectly for them. This is especially good if you plan on switching webhosts right away.

Good luck!

The url doesn't seem to work

try using ftp://<youIP> then login with your passes .. or try dnsreport.com
    iF i'm NoT Elberk' ..
    i WiSH i WoulD Be Elberk`

Yes, they apparently changed it. It was working for a very long time before.

What program do you download to go the c-panel?

I have WS_FTP Pro. You can also use Cute FTP or any other FTP program.

i use wsftp its works really well

Quote Originally Posted by Shaliza

Makes little sense here? If both URL and IP don't work, how then to log in using IP?
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Makes little sense here? If both URL and IP don't work, how then to log in using IP?
    Yeah, I was thinking the same too bear.

Liam
    BritHostNetwork.com
    Very competitive Shared and Reseller Hosting!

Offsite daily backups | cPanel/WHM/Fantastico
    Now offering VPS!