Rant: A quick tip for business names ...

*My Rant*

Okay, something that I think is getting a bit old. 6 or 7 years ago when lots of hosting company's started to emerge it was 'PowerHost' this and 'SuperCheapHost' that.

My best advice to anyone choosing a name for their new hosting venture .. DONT .. include the word 'Host' or 'Hosting'.

You should try names that appeal to people that aren't like everyone elses names.

Here are some examples;
    • SuperHost [bad]
    • MyAwesomeHost [bad]
    • ServerBlocks [good]
    • XanoDedicated [good]
    • WebHostDirectory [good] (This one is good because it actually describes the site, notice it wouldn't be a hosting company though)
    Just my advice, anyone else getting a bit annoyed by all the 'Hosts'?
    Callan M.
    Web Application Developer
    Victoria, Australia

I agree. I am getting frustrated seeing the amount of Web hosts with "host" in their name. People should spend more time to think of something creative, and brandable.
    HostMonkey | Your kingdom starts here. (tweet us @HostMonkeynet)
    Affordable and Reliable Shared Hosting, VPS Servers, and Dedicated Servers
    OpenVZ, SolusVM CP, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7x365 Support
    Server Reseller Program: significant discounts, to increase your profits!

I arrived at your conclusion about 3-4 years ago. People ask me about my unique name, and think it a little odd given "SEO implications" but it has gotten to the point where <Insert Adjective Here> Host or _________ Hosting is nothing but a cookie cutter theme.

Each unto their own of course, and some of those names are more than worth it for branding. However, you're really starting to see some domains that are out there.

In the end, what's better - a 20 letter name with hosting in it or a 5,6 or 7 letter branded domain? I'd say the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTech View Post
    I arrived at your conclusion about 3-4 years ago. People ask me about my unique name, and think it a little odd given "SEO implications" but it has gotten to the point where <Insert Adjective Here> Host or _________ Hosting is nothing but a cookie cutter theme.

Each unto their own of course, and some of those names are more than worth it for branding. However, you're really starting to see some domains that are out there.

In the end, what's better - a 20 letter name with hosting in it or a 5,6 or 7 letter branded domain? I'd say the latter.
    I think it depends... I mean, superhost just sounds bad... plus, hopefully they have supperhost, as some may spell it that way. "hosting" or "host" in the name is not bad in most cases... like fluidhosting... or minihosting (made that up)...

You could argue that host or hosting in the name tells the person what you do... and is easier to remember with a name that is easy to remember...

I don't care what your name is as long as you have good uptime. lol
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

want the best tip?

Make the first letter an A.. think trade show directories.. yellow pages... etc

your welcome.

I thought I was being smart when I called my company 'tsohost' (it's a palindrome, reads the same backwards as forwards) but thinking back to 2003 I would probably would have chosen something slightly more straightforward. It's a little bit late to re-brand now though.
    Darren Lingham - Stablepoint Hosting
    Stablepoint - Cloud Web Hosting without compromise
    We provide industry-leading cPanel™ web hosting in 80+ global cities.

Quote Originally Posted by amaZe View Post
    I agree. I am getting frustrated seeing the amount of Web hosts with "host" in their name. People should spend more time to think of something creative, and brandable.
    While that is correct you could argue the cost of branding goes into millions and will takes years to brand your name. It can't be done over night. When someone says 'Nixism' straight away I doubt they think of hosting, where if you did spend your millions and 10 years from now, it might become a more household name to refer to hosting. That's what branding will do.

I had several names on the drawing board for EarnersHost but when I looked at the reality of all the other big shots out there, I knew I hadn't a chance in penetrating into the market fast if I didn't have the word 'host' in it. I knew (from previous experience) my hosting business wasn't getting ranked, noticed and branded as quick as I thought.

Where as your arguements stands correct, 'Nixism' is probably a better name than 'EarnersHost' but yet again, I can tell from the name EarnersHost it will relate to hosting. Do you get where I'm coming from? This is no way a personal attack on you I just thought it would be best to include some real examples, and what do you know, we both run hosting companies anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kounterfeit
    My best advice to anyone choosing a name for their new hosting venture .. DONT .. include the word 'Host' or 'Hosting'.

You should try names that appeal to people that aren't like everyone elses names.
    I really have to disagree. I bet you'd find more companies with a semantic field of hosting they would be more successful.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by elektrica View Post
    Yup. I can say that you are 100% correct.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Name does not matter at all now days. Its all about marketing. You can make a brand of xfwsdsuidjksdf and you would get thousands of clients and sexiest names out there wouldn't get noticed with no money poured in.

--- Its all about marketing the name --

Quote Originally Posted by ForumsAddict View Post
    Name does not matter at all now days. Its all about marketing. You can make a brand of xfwsdsuidjksdf and you would get thousands of clients and sexiest names out there wouldn't get noticed with no money poured in.

I agree, but it seems those hosting companies that do use the word Host in them are only doing so to target search engines and other places utilizing those keywords.

Any large web hosting company you look at typically has a name that describes in a way of what they do like rackspace for example.

But I definitely agree that it is all in the marketing, as long as its backed by a good company.

We've been very happy with our brand name. Most people I talk to feel it conveys what we do very well. The only problem with the name is the 'u'. On radio we use our secondary domain unaw.com instead with the company name still being Uneedawebsite.
    Mark Oberg
    Techweenies.com

(No longer affiliated with Uneedawebsite.com)

SuperBytes : upgrade from megaBYTES to superBYTES! Thats the plan anyway ^^

Creative: maybe? Brandable: yup

Having said that, most host names involving "super" annoy me, I guess this one doesn't.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    Yup. I can say that you are 100% correct.

--Tina

I would agree also!!!

Tom
    www.AptoHosting.com
    The Most Adapatable Hosting Solution On The Planet!

Is it possible that the ___host, ____hosting seems over used to all of us because we're actually in the industry and familiarity breeds contempt? To the end client having that in the name can still be helpful as without it it may not be clear what type of service you're providing.

The suggestion i'd make is that whatever words make up your name besides host, make it something that could easily stand on its own. The goal of any brand name should be for it to become synonymous with your service. 'Xerox' and 'Kleenex' are easily recognized on their own with out being followed by 'photo copiers' and 'tissues.' If you're supercheaphost.com someday turning into just 'supercheap' may not have the effect you're looking for.
    Ubersmith Datacenter Edition
    Complete Billing and Facilities Management for Enterprise Hosts
    Now featuring fully integrated Bandwidth Billing, Remote Rebooter Support and IP Management
    http://www.ubersmith.com

I've seen a lot of crazy names throughout the years, and I think that it mainly depends on what you do with the name..not the name itself
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

I think that putting the word 'hosting' or something of the like might actually be beneficial to SEO rankings (since many people just search for something like host, hosting, web hosting, etc.).

Besides, some of the biggest hosting companies names include host: HOST Gator, Blue HOST, Dream HOST

Quote Originally Posted by ForumsAddict View Post

That is so true, but think how much more effective your marketing would be when you have a great name that's easy to remember etc. The combo of a killer name and a great marketing there is better than just great marketing.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I agree with some of those things. You dont want a cheap name, but you want something short and catchy...something people wont forget. Then like others said, its all about the marketing.

Somthing that stands out from the rest, but its not going to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by vamphost View Post
    You dont want a cheap name, but you want something short and catchy...something people wont forget.
    Very true. Some examples: Google, Amazon, cPanel, Plesk...
    MSN.com -> Live.com

Quote Originally Posted by arbet View Post
    Very true. Some examples: Google, Amazon, cPanel, Plesk...
    MSN.com -> Live.com
    Google actually sucks (the name)... but we have seen it so much, it looks normal.

Quote Originally Posted by elektrica View Post
    want the best tip?

your welcome.
    I remember I launched a domain that started with the letter "4." lol... talk about at the top... I was always at the top... loved it....

Depending on what you're trying to do, or expand off a different company using "host" or other provided names to show what they are offering is inevitable.
    //// Brian Lowell
    /// The HypedGaming Network, LLC.
    // Owner and Founder (2005 - Present)
    / Use coupon code "WHT" for 5% off recurring charges with your order!

I concur 100%! Be your own celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    Google actually sucks (the name)... but we have seen it so much, it looks normal.
    I think Google is one of the best.Easy to spell , memorize and could be used as a verb. How many times have you heard: "Google it". That's genius.