please help.. it's urgent.

Apache won't start for some reason. I ran /scripts/easyapache, and still nothing. I haven't changed anything that I know of, possibly suexec. But I've tried starting it with suexec enabled and disabled. This is what shows up in error_log
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:24 2002] [warn] pid file /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:24 2002] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: getpwuid: couldn't determine user name from uid 4294967295, you probably need to modify the User directive
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:24 2002] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: getpwuid: couldn't determine user name from uid 4294967295, you probably need to modify the User directive
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:24 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6b configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:24 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:24 2002] [alert] Child 14562 returned a Fatal error...
    Apache is exiting!
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:29 2002] [warn] pid file /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:30 2002] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: getpwuid: couldn't determine user name from uid 4294967295, you probably need to modify the User directive
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:30 2002] [alert] (2)No such file or directory: getpwuid: couldn't determine user name from uid 4294967295, you probably need to modify the User directive
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:30 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6b configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:30 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
    [Thu Aug 8 21:50:30 2002] [alert] Child 14585 returned a Fatal error...
    Apache is exiting!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone please help me get this working. I don't know how to fix it.. I've already ran apachectl, and all it says is SYNTAX OK

Thanks.

Hi Jason,

apachectl is only to test the syntax of your httpd.conf file

to try and see if any httpd processes are running type

ps auxwww | grep httpd

and see the result.

If you are trying to upgrade apache through CPanel, you can try

/scripts/updatenow

followed by

/scripts/upcp

If you still cant start httpd, just download the 1.3.26 tarball into /tmp and do a default install to keep the show going

hope it helps

Balaji
    I am now happily selling Natural Herbal Hair Oil - happy to be so far removed from technology!

ok.. thanks.. ill try updating those.. but whats a default 1.3.26 tarball? Apache? will that work, or cause problems with cpanel/whm?

Jason run httpd configtest

I already have, i said in first post.. Just show this

[~]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd configtest
    Syntax OK

Jason,

By 1.3.26 tarball I mean apache_1.3.26.tar.gz from

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/

If you download the tar ball into /tmp or some other working directory and

tar -xzvf apache_1.3.26.tar.gz

it will explode everything into a folder

apache_1.3.26

then

cd apache_1.3.26

make
    make install clean

will install the default

It is better than no webserver at all and is a temporary fix
    I am now happily selling Natural Herbal Hair Oil - happy to be so far removed from technology!

-------------------------

as you posted above i guess there is some user permission problem. Check weather all apache files and directories have proper user names and permissions.

Also you can download buildapache.sea from layer1.cpanel.net and install it manually with this command

sh buildapache.sea

then select advanced option and select the modules

this may fix the problem ..
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

yea, ive reinstalled buildapache like 3 times like that.. still no luck.. I don't know why any permissions on apache files would have been changed.. But ill try to i guess look at permissions somehow.. I wouldn't even know what apache files need what permissions or whatever though..

Jason

have you tried the updatenow followed by upcp?

Yea, no luck

I'm scared to redo apache with the base apache config.. I think it might screw up the server even more.. I e-mailed site5, the people i buy my cpanel license through. Hopefully they can login and work some magic. I wonder how long it will take considering the time.. I also e-mailed cpanel using there online form.. Maybe that will help to..

The syntax of your config is right, but I think there is something set wrong, check all the user directives...

Hi,

i recently had a similar problem on a server.
    I commented the additional apache modules and finally found out, that 1 module (can't remember which, though) was interfering with 2 other modules.
    ...might be worth a try.

Thanks Duncan, I'll give it a shot.. Prohacker, I dont mean to sound like an idiot here, but how would I go about checking user directives? Where are they and what would I be looking for?

Thanks

Originally posted by jasonX
    Thanks Duncan, I'll give it a shot.. Prohacker, I dont mean to sound like an idiot here, but how would I go about checking user directives? Where are they and what would I be looking for?

Thanks
    Not a stupid question...

In the httpd.conf, there are lines like User username

If you have suExec, then they are in every vhost directive...

If not, its only in one part...

If you need some extra help, you can pm me for instant messaging details and I'll try to help more.. i'll be up for a couple more hours if you need it...

Ok. update.. Thank you so much Duncan. I can't believe I didn't try that. There was no clue in the logs that php was causing the problem. I commented out the PHP module, and whammo.. Fired up.. Of course now, I have a problem that I need PHP working, but it isn't as severe as no webserver.. thank you very much..

Can any expert possibly see two conflicting modules here or something?

# LoadModule foo_module libexec/mod_foo.so
    LoadModule rewrite_module libexec/mod_rewrite.so
    LoadModule php4_module libexec/libphp4.so
    LoadModule bwlimited_module libexec/mod_bwlimited.so
    LoadModule bytes_log_module libexec/mod_log_bytes.so
    LoadModule jk_module libexec/mod_jk.so
    LoadModule bwprotect_module libexec/mod_bwprotect.so

# Reconstruction of the complete module list from all available modules
    # (static and shared ones) to achieve correct module execution order.
    # [WHENEVER YOU CHANGE THE LOADMODULE SECTION ABOVE UPDATE THIS, TOO]
    ClearModuleList
    AddModule mod_env.c
    AddModule mod_log_config.c
    AddModule mod_mime.c
    AddModule mod_negotiation.c
    AddModule mod_status.c
    AddModule mod_include.c
    AddModule mod_autoindex.c
    AddModule mod_dir.c
    AddModule mod_cgi.c
    AddModule mod_asis.c
    AddModule mod_imap.c
    AddModule mod_actions.c
    AddModule mod_userdir.c
    AddModule mod_alias.c
    AddModule mod_rewrite.c
    AddModule mod_access.c
    AddModule mod_auth.c
    AddModule mod_so.c
    AddModule mod_setenvif.c
    <IfDefine SSL>
    AddModule mod_ssl.c
    </IfDefine>
    AddModule mod_frontpage.c
    # AddModule mod_php4.c
    AddModule mod_bwlimited.c
    AddModule mod_log_bytes.c
    AddModule mod_jk.c
    AddModule mod_bwprotect.c
    Include "/usr/local/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3-src/build/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf"

Try commenting the jakarta modules... and uncommenting PHP...

You don't want to leave PHP commented for to long, people's PHP files will be read from the web...

You might also try commenting out bwprotect, the .so and the .c....

Ok, i tried commenting out jsp stuff and bwprotect, and uncommenting php, then apache wont fire up again. This leads to it really is a php problem.. Im going to download the latest source of php from php.net and reinstall it..

What I am wondering though is, don't when I run easyapache, it updates PHP?

Originally posted by jasonX
    What I am wondering though is, don't when I run easyapache, it updates PHP?
    That I dunno... I know buildapache.sea does...

A build from source would be a good thing though... I usually do that anyway...

Hi,

Actually building from source if you rely on the features provided by buildapache can cause issues.

If you install all the libraries required to install PHP with the same features most people use (the ones from buildapache) then next time you try to use buildapache (and if you use frontpage, buildapache is not optional) your compile of PHP WILL fail.

Essentially, once you stop using buildapache to handle PHP, you will forever need to install PHP manually, and not rely on buildapache.

Basically, it's much more sensible to just use buildapache and let it handle PHP for you, and work around any compile issues buildapache has.

I've fired you off an email through our ticket tracking system, and will continue correspondance there.

Thanks!

Vince Stratful.
    Views and opinions are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.