* youth oriented hosting companies - your thoughts?

What are your thoughts on hosting companies who purposely spell things wrong, and introduce stereotypical spelling replacements (ie: replacing S with Z, C instead of K, 3 instead of E, etc...) into their company name, in order to appeal to the youth?

I think it's absolute rubbish, and the only types of customers they are going to attract are kids whose websites are a waste of resources, and attract attention from the people they goto school with.

But umm... Yeah, what are your thoughts on these types hosting companies?
      0 Not allowed!

arent they out there 2 attract ppl like urself?
      0 Not allowed!

Uh...firstly, Nobody wanted you back...we even took a poll....but the mods insisted that rules were rules and we had to let you back..

Secondly, I think it's overly unprofessional.
      0 Not allowed!

Uh...firstly, Nobody wanted you back...we even took a poll....but the mods insisted that rules were rules and we had to let you back..
    this coming from someone who has been around for a few moths, yeah, i guess you really know me

arent they out there 2 attract ppl like urself?
    First of all, i'm not a teenager, and second, i'm not a sucker for buzzwords.
      0 Not allowed!

ub3r I know what ya mean
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by nickn

Secondly, I think it's overly unprofessional.
    I'm sorry but ub3r is a nice guy. Considering you haven't been here for a very long time, I think you should try to stay away from those comments.

"We had to let you back"; I don't think you are the "Earth" of WHT. WHT is a community. ub3r did some stupid things () and he won't do them again

Let him stay here and be cool, this will be good for the whole community
    Charles Beliveau | NymixWeb.com
    Proven success since 2001!
      0 Not allowed!

Yeh. Durned kids. Use 3 for E and stuff like that. Don't ya just hate that?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

hey, i only took the name because i had the domain name already(ub3r.net), and i took the domain name because i knew it would get alot of traffic.
      0 Not allowed!

I being a teenager...and I find it stupid...but hey if thats what you have to do to appeal to your demographic and make money, thats what you hafta do. If thats strategy works for them, then I don't see any reason why they shouldn't do it.

Although, I must omit its kind of ironic that you are asking a question like this have the handle of "ub3r". But, hey.
      0 Not allowed!

People....

I think nickn's post was meant in humor, the same as ub3r's custom title, "back by popular demand." I believe qm8309's was as well.

At least until proved otherwise I am going to give both the benefit of the doubt....and not jump on either one of them.....SWR's was a similar post meant in good humor....lighten up folks.
      0 Not allowed!

well anyways, the subject of the thread isn't ub3r, it's youth oriented webhosting companies, and your thoughts on them.

if you want to comment on the return of myself, check the "guess whose back" thread in the lounge.
      0 Not allowed!

Not sure what this thread is about then....

Sure looked like one of the issues was creative spelling, etc. I don't automatically classify that as aimed to youth. Rather, it is aimed to unique, memorable, and catchy. What about Starz TV network or Toys (backwards R) Us? I hardly call either of those "Rubbish".

Now, as to the other subject, which I consider separate, of aiming one's hosting toward youth....if it works, more power to them. It's certainly not where I aim my business, but if one can do so profitably, great for them. The reasons I don't are (1) I prefer not to deal with immaturity (which is more prevalent but not limited to youth) and (2) with underage persons there are too many credit card problems and issues with their parents not aware of the charges. That said, I have many fine young customers, who are mature and professional, and I value their business highly.
      0 Not allowed!

Wouldn't this thread be better off in the lounge?
      0 Not allowed!

no, because this is a discussion of the professionalism of webhosting companies.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: youth oriented hosting companies - your thoughts?

Originally posted by ub3r
    What are your thoughts on hosting companies who purposely spell things wrong, and introduce stereotypical spelling replacements (ie: replacing S with Z, C instead of K, 3 instead of E, etc...) into their company name, in order to appeal to the youth?
    I guess if it is a market for it who are we to say it is rubbish... or are we getting old?

I'll spell my name wrong if I thought I could get paid for it...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!
      0 Not allowed!

I just find it a little too hypocritical for someone who uses the name Ub3r and a website with the same name, who says he uses the name to attract traffic, to start a thread saying he thinks that it's rubbish when a host does the exact same thing.
      0 Not allowed!

blue27...well it's ub3r
    Charles Beliveau | NymixWeb.com
    Proven success since 2001!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by blue27
    I just find it a little too hypocritical for someone who uses the name Ub3r and a website with the same name, who says he uses the name to attract traffic, to start a thread saying he thinks that it's rubbish when a host does the exact same thing.
    ditto.
      0 Not allowed!

my website serves no purpose, I'm getting really sick of all you meanies judging me based on my username, would you rather i use a username with something with a bunch of numbers after it?

I'm sorry i chose this username, back a long long time ago, i thought i would only be coming here to get a host for my website, not to actually discuss the industry, just find a good host, and get out, then i actually looked at the place, and i realized that i should stay around here, because of the people, and the topics, if you're going to continue to stereotype me as some teenager who plays too much quake, you can do that, but you should just know that you're judging me based on the wrong qualities I poses.

love,
    ub3r
      0 Not allowed!

I think it's absolute rubbish, and the only types of customers they are going to attract are kids whose websites are a waste of resources,

Is that not exactly what you are doing?
    How can you blame others for the same thing?
      0 Not allowed!

my website isn't a waste of resources, it tells people who lack guidance what they need to do

i'm talking about the types of kids who start blogs... I mean, seriously, does anybody really care who they kissed at the mall?
      0 Not allowed!

I can't believe I'm actully saything this but ub3r does have a point. Although his website may not serve a purpose to you it does to him. Let him enjoy doing what he wants to do its his time and his money.
      0 Not allowed!

i'm talking about the types of kids who start blogs... I mean, seriously, does anybody really care who they kissed at the mall?
    What does this have to do with the original topic?

youth oriented hosting companies - your thoughts?
    I agree that perhaps this can be seen as a hypocritical statement. We use what some here may deem "kiddie name" but I personally see no problem with many such names. I agree that l33t host, or the like is not very professional, and perhaps better names could be chosen. I don't think that it's grounds for saying a host is run by a kid. I personally know that my partners are surely not kids.

It's also an arguably good marketing tactic as well if used in the correct manner. Often much easier to remember and catchy.

On a side note, I guess that it makes you a kind since your name is 'ub3r' according to your orginial post.

I am not trying to be rude, but pointing a few things out.
      0 Not allowed!