Arrow Recommended Low End Provider

Hi All,

I have seen a few threads around with mixed reviews so I thought I would pop the question myself. We are a small startup thats been around for about 8 months providing domain names and optional hosting. We are after a US based server for around the $100-$150 mark, something unmanaged, with cPanel, preferably Quad Core with 4GB RAM, however a decent Dual Core with 2GB will potentially look after us for now.... Does anyone have any good recommendations? The two I am looking at so far are HiVelocity, and Site5.

I'd personally throw in a recommendation for VolumeDrive.com

They offer very competitive prices, and also the ability to pay for certain things (hard-drives, RAM, hw RAID controller) up-front which brings the monthly price down further.
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    Tristan Perry - Personal blog

Quote Originally Posted by bouncedomains View Post
    Hi All,

I have seen a few threads around with mixed reviews so I thought I would pop the question myself. We are a small startup thats been around for about 8 months providing domain names and optional hosting. We are after a US based server for around the $100-$150 mark, something unmanaged, with cPanel, preferably Quad Core with 4GB RAM, however a decent Dual Core with 2GB will potentially look after us for now.... Does anyone have any good recommendations? The two I am looking at so far are HiVelocity, and Site5.
    If a Dual Core with 2GB Ram will do you well, you should definitely check the Softlayer Outlet.

http://outlet.softlayer.com

Softlayer is definitely a high-end provider and they know what they're doing. You can easily get a Dual core setup with them for about $140-150/month.

Their support is outstanding, their network is outstanding. It's all phenomenal.
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Quote Originally Posted by ClubUptime View Post
    If a Dual Core with 2GB Ram will do you well, you should definitely check the Softlayer Outlet.

http://outlet.softlayer.com

Softlayer is definitely a high-end provider and they know what they're doing. You can easily get a Dual core setup with them for about $140-150/month.

Their support is outstanding, their network is outstanding. It's all phenomenal.
    +1 for SoftLayer Outlet

You can get very good deals at SoftLayer and you are paying for quality of service and network connectivity. I would also recommend SoftLayer.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Unfortunately, Softlayer do not accept PayPal which is what I am intending to use to pay for the server. I have a tonne of PayPal balance which should see me through a few years hosting, and I can setup up a subscription which makes it so much easier, so it doesn't really make sense for me to use Credit Card and incur debt.

Thanks for the suggestions though Keep them coming!

Unfortunately, Softlayer do not accept PayPal which is what I am intending to use to pay for the server. I have a tonne of PayPal balance which should see me through a few years hosting, and I can setup up a subscription which makes it so much easier, so it doesn't really make sense for me to use Credit Card and incur debt.

Softlayer DOES accept PayPal.

We send them several thousand dollars per month using PayPal
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Used to be a full time server administrator, now I help build cruise ships and inspect homes.
    My company, Ferrell Solutions, specializes in home inspections and property management.
    RecallScan is a service for monitoring appliances and vehicles in your home for recalls.

Volumedrive.com, corenetworks.com, wholesaleinternet.com

Try them
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

In what bizarre fantasy world does a quad-core machine with 4GB of RAM count as "low end"?

Meh. Anyway, I'd second the recommendation for Wholesale Internet, and suggest you also look at instavps.com, who despite the name also offer dedicated servers; they offer a 3GHz Core 2 with 6GB RAM and two HDDs for $119. I've had a server there for a couple months, and been quite impressed, so far.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

Take a look also at BurstNET and DedicatedNow. Great deals, good servers from my experience.

Thanks James, we appreciate the compliment.

I think everyone has said that your budget is realistic, you can get a fairly good server for that amount.

I'd also recommend the softlayer outlet to you
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I'll go with Joes Datacenter and Hetzner.

Careful with VolumeDrive. I did not read their TOS and almost lost money for nothing. They will hold onto your money tight and have to fight for it to get it back:

http://www.volumedrive.com/policies/tos.html

If you pay 1 time upgrade fees upfront and they did not deliver the server for several days, according to their TOS, if you want a refund you will not get it. Technically, it is possible they will hold on to your server for over a month and there is not much you can do about your money. Don't say you were not warned.

You could get a nice i5 server at Atjeu for $119 with cPanel. And atjeu is awesome.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I believe SoftLayer does accept Paypal payments, so you should not have problems with that.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

Most hosts accept paypal upfront and all. I do think and many others said that softlayer dose accept paypal. I would go with softlayer outlet nice plan they got going.

Quote Originally Posted by SnoorkAdvertiser View Post
    I believe SoftLayer does accept Paypal payments, so you should not have problems with that.
    Indeed they do! As far as a host, take a look at ServerBeach/SingleHop. Both are great options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paypal.png  

WebNX has some decent quad-core servers for under $150.

Quote Originally Posted by LastQuark View Post

Careful with VolumeDrive. I did not read their TOS and almost lost money for nothing. They will hold onto your money tight and have to fight for it to get it back:

If you pay 1 time upgrade fees upfront and they did not deliver the server for several days, according to their TOS, if you want a refund you will not get it. Technically, it is possible they will hold on to your server for over a month and there is not much you can do about your money. Don't say you were not warned.
    Not sure where you are getting this information from. If we were for some unknown reason not able to deliver a server or one of equal value, we would of course issue a refund.

I would say you are compare Apple and Orange. VD price is at the lowest line, even cheaper than Joes Datacenter and BurstNet and still offer low price one-time upgrade.

Many budget providers do have sticky TOS to protect themself otherwise they will loss money and many will deliver server for several days long when they are really busy.

If you need services, you will need to pay for it.

Softlayer do accept PayPal however you need to use your CC to pay via PayPal, not your PayPal balance - believe me, they were the first I tried Anyhow, thought I would update you all - we went with some servers from Site5(Unmanaged) they seemed to present us with a fairly good deal, and their latency isn't too bad from Australia. Will post a review soon enough with how I go Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions.
    Last edited by markosolo; 07-26-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by HKPlane View Post
    If you need services, you will need to pay for it.
    That is, of course, fair enough. The problem is I paid and didn't get the service I paid for. That is the problem.

would highly recommend to go with Limestone networks. check out there special offer section.
    TechWacky - The Social Tech Guide - HERE
    Currently operate servers with: Wholesale Internet, EvoSwitch, DataShack
    _) Previous servers: Limestone Networks, RapidSwitch, Poundhost, TailorMadeServers, JoesDC

That is, of course, fair enough. The problem is I paid and didn't get the service I paid for. That is the problem.
    I was a VD customer and paid like $300 up-front. If you need a premium service, you should go else where.