What should I charge for domain transfers?

Currently my domain transfers are free, but it's getting to the point where I'm doing nothing but losing money from them. Should I be charging the same amount as registration for transfers? Or a reduced amount? What's the norm for transfers?

Quote Originally Posted by Vertimyst View Post
    Currently my domain transfers are free, but it's getting to the point where I'm doing nothing but losing money from them. Should I be charging the same amount as registration for transfers? Or a reduced amount? What's the norm for transfers?
    You should charge what ever keeps you in the green
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Your domain registrar tell you how much you're charge per domain transfer (.uk are free)

So you can add a few pence if you like on top.

I would recommend just charging the same price as registration costs, and possibly provide a coupon code or something to encourage people to transfer to you. But a question also is how long have you been providing transfers for? Because once they start expiring and they renew (hopefully) then you will begin making money on it.

The industry mainly practices free transfer or the same rate as renewal. But hey, it is open market - charge as much as you are on green line and at the same time your clients are happy.

Just remind me - when the client is transferring to you his domain - it is automatically renewed, right? And do you allow domain transfers independently or ONLY if the client buys the hosting?

The charges vary depending on Domain Name type and transfer type

It would help if the OP advised as their current scale of charges (to customers)

.com .net .org attract transfer IN costs, which you will be paying
    You should therefore be passing AT LEAST this cost on to customers
    If the customers are purchasing other services then discounting the transfer
    of these Domain Names is possible, but going below the cost price will again reduce the profitability

If customers are transferring out you MAY charge an admin fee, but this may put off customers transferring into your services in the first place (and if the cost is hidden may result in negative reviews)

As above, .uk transfers are (currently) FREE
    M8 INTERNET : Simple and cost effective website hosting from the UK
    M8 INTERNET : Google Ads Account Management