Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

emails are not delivered to hotmail... please help!

Hi,

For some reason all the emails sent out to hotmail from my VPS are not being delivered at all (I checked the spam box)! I tried sending using PHP, SMTP servers and Squirrel Mail and none of the emails are delivered. The emails are delivered find to gmail and other emails but not hotmail.

I've contacted support and this is what they said:

Hi,

It looks as hotmail is doing something with the emails. The issue does not look as it's on the servers end. Normally when ISP's block a server then the server can't connect to the smtp port. In your case I can connect and the email logs say the emails are going out fine. I recommend that you contact hotmail regarding this. You can provide the following to them as proof that the emails were sent out.

2007-05-24 14:58:19 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f <= sinoc@servint.touchsimple.com
    U=sinoc P=local S=740
    id=2152.209.50.226.48.1180033099.squirrel@207.58.130.206
    2007-05-24 14:58:19 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f => servint_noc@hotmail.com
    <Servint_noc@hotmail.com> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=mx3.hotmail.com
    [65.54.244.72]
    2007-05-24 14:58:19 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f Completed

Additionally here is a telnet to the mail port.

-bash-2.05b# nslookup
    Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
    Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup with
    the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
    > set q=mx
    > hotmail.com
    Server: 207.58.130.206
    Address: 207.58.130.206#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    hotmail.com mail exchanger = 5 mx3.hotmail.com.
    hotmail.com mail exchanger = 5 mx4.hotmail.com.
    hotmail.com mail exchanger = 5 mx1.hotmail.com.
    hotmail.com mail exchanger = 5 mx2.hotmail.com.

-bash-2.05b# telnet mx3.hotmail.com 25
    Trying 65.54.245.72...
    Connected to mx3.hotmail.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 bay0-mc8-f17.bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk
    e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions
    are found at http://privacy.msn.com/Anti-spam/. Violations will result in
    use of equipment located in California and other states. Thu, 24 May 2007
    11:59:34 -0700
    Connection closed by foreign host.
    But how could it not be a server problem??? If I send the email from gmail it gets delivered to hotmail, but if I send it from my VPS it doesn't...

Any advice? I really don't want to start dealing with hotmail support.

Thanks WHT!
    Last edited by sllik; 05-24-2007 at 03:32 PM.

do you have rDNS configured for your MX and mail server IP?
    Abee

It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.

I'm not sure... why is this important? Would you know how to check that with WHM?

You can check the rDNS here:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/
    Abee

Quote Originally Posted by Abee View Post
    You can check the rDNS here:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/
    everything seems fine... what else can it be?

cPanel server if so let me know the output for

PHP Code:
    cat /var/log/exim_mainlog grep servint_noc@hotmail.com 
    Abee

cPanel server if so let me know the output for

PHP Code:
    cat /var/log/exim_mainlog grep servint_noc@hotmail.com 
    2007-05-24 14:58:19 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f => servint_noc@hotmail.com <Servint_noc@hotmail.com> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=mx3.hotmail.com [65.54.244.72]

It seems email went fine. Can you see it's completed by using the command

PHP Code:
    cat /var/log/exim_mainlog grep 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f 
    Abee

It seems email went fine. Can you see it's completed by using the command

PHP Code:
    cat /var/log/exim_mainlog grep 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f 
    looks like so...

2007-05-24 14:58:19 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f <= sinoc@servint.touchsimple.com U=sinoc P=local S=740 id=2152.209.50.226.48.1180033099.squirrel@207.58.130.206
    2007-05-24 14:58:19 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f => servint_noc@hotmail.com <Servint_noc@hotmail.com> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=mx3.hotmail.com [65.54.244.72]
    2007-05-24 14:58:19 1HrIVv-0005nd-3f Completed

I can't see any issue at the server end. Try to check the junk folders at hotmail.
    Abee

I can't see any issue at the server end. Try to check the junk folders at hotmail.
    I double checked every folder... the email is just not arriving... what else can it possibly be?

do you have an SPF record in your DNS,

check this...

http://emailuniverse.com/ezine-tips/?id=1290

This is happening with me. All of a sudden. Non of my clients on any of my servers can send emails to hotmail account. I dont no what is going on. I have SPF set up for the domain and it does not work. I need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks,
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

Quote Originally Posted by logikstudios View Post
    This is happening with me. All of a sudden. Non of my clients on any of my servers can send emails to hotmail account. I dont no what is going on. I have SPF set up for the domain and it does not work. I need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks,
    ... are the messages going into their Junk folder or just not being accepted at all?
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

This is what i find. Squarral mail works fine. Also if i reply to an email that was sent to an from hotmail. That works fine as well. But if i try to send a brand new email. it just does not get recieved.

This is wired. I use thunderbird as my mail program i can not send a new email to hotmail. However i can use outlook and that will work. I think it could be a problem with thunderbird. How is the best way to fix this?

Thanks,
    Nathaniel
    SIP Trunking and VoIP Lines, Numbering (DIDs and DDIs), Low Cost Minute add-ons, Secure SIP and VoIP. Business and Enterprise Grade Quality, Low Cost and Highly Competitive. Available at: https://www.voipyonder.com/

Make sure your thunderbird and outlook settings are identical.

Seems either the problem is from hotmail or there is some tech faults in your mail server.

I think hotmail has some issues lately. A friend of mine also has problems delivering email to hotmail. The emails are not being denied by hotmail, nor they appear in the inbox or spambox.

It could be that Hotmail is filtering out the emails sent from your server. Microsoft has recently developed a filter named SmartScreen. It looks like the program filters emails stupidly as there have been many complaints of late that emails are not being received by Hotmail.

The best fix for the issue would be asking the person to whom you are trying to send the email to use some other email provider; gmail is lot better!
    || Techbrace :: 24 x 7 Outsourced Web Hosting Support since 2006
    || For Hosting Companies & Data Centres :: Helpdesk / Chat / Phone / Social Media :: cPanel / Plesk / DirectAdmin
    || Dedicated / VPS / Cloud Server Management :: Server Support On Demand :: Fully Managed Servers

Hotmail does not accept "new" mail most of the time. They accept "replies" to the mail originating from their accounts only for the most part. They track the message ID's they send out, and match them up in the replies sent to them. But new mail sent to them is mostly "delete on sight". And the filter controls set by user accounts is mostly ignored. It's a very effective spam control system. Why should they care - most accounts are free.

Yes its hard to get "new" mail delivered into hotmail and msn.

regard rossh

This is wired. I use thunderbird as my mail program i can not send a new email to hotmail. However i can use outlook and that will work. I think it could be a problem with thunderbird. How is the best way to fix this?
    It's clearly a problem with his client, guys.

Are you sending the email through your ISP's SMTP in Outlook and through the actual mail server's that you are using the POP/IMAP on in Thunderbird?

complain to them and they will fix it up for you...ha hah ha

it has happened to one of my servers a few times, seemingly after a spam complaint has been filed with spamcop, even after the spam has stopped and the IP is not on the spamcop database, Hotmail contiues to block for a while but I think it automaticaly unblocks the IP after a while, not sure how many days though.

I'd like to get more info and confirmation from guys who know if this is actualy the case (automatic IP removal from blocked list at hotmail).

I am using Thunderbird with my own servers. The settings are exactly the same as Outlook. I contacted Hotmail and they pointed me to the Postmaster help page. I need them to accept my IP on a perminate. I have to go through my datacenter as they contact the email under the who is on the ip information.

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast